USS Cairo artifacts

40FathomAndy

Cadet
I'm not sure if this is appropriate for this forum or not. I have a chance to buy a group of USS Cairo related items from a private collection. I'm not a collector, I'm a historian, but I sometimes pick up some things related to my areas of interest, usually art, ship models, etc. I want to offer a fair price, but I have absolutely no idea what they might be worth. Neither does the current owner.

The group consists of three pieces - a what appears to be scratch-built model of the USS Cairo, about 20 inches long, a black and white photo of the boat (looks to be a reproduction), and a shadow box with about a half dozen various bits and bobs - a fastener, pieces of wood, etc - from the wreck itself. Judging by the age and look of the shadow box, I'd say it was made probably not long after the recovery. It's kind of amateurish, so I'm thinking perhaps some of these were made and sold to raise money for the recovery, or perhaps was put together by a bystander who managed to grab a few pieces. I have been buying and selling antiques and collectibles as a side gig for 22 years and I've never seen something like this. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, but think basic wooden shadow box about 3 inches deep and maybe 10x15".

Of course, there are potential legal ramifications, given the USS Cairo is a US Navy vessel, and the US Navy never abandons anything. So I'm not sure even what the legal status of the items in the frame are. They most certainly aren't worth anything separate from their association with the wreck. Heck, I'd don't even know 100% of they are authentic, although I think they are given the age and look of the box and the quality of the rest of the collection they are part of.

Any idea on a fair offer?

Welcome from THE Heart of Dixie. I own several Cairo relics and it's legal to own them as far as value without photos it's impossible to assess.

I'm not sure if this is appropriate for this forum or not. I have a chance to buy a group of USS Cairo related items from a private collection. I'm not a collector, I'm a historian, but I sometimes pick up some things related to my areas of interest, usually art, ship models, etc. I want to offer a fair price, but I have absolutely no idea what they might be worth. Neither does the current owner.

The group consists of three pieces - a what appears to be scratch-built model of the USS Cairo, about 20 inches long, a black and white photo of the boat (looks to be a reproduction), and a shadow box with about a half dozen various bits and bobs - a fastener, pieces of wood, etc - from the wreck itself. Judging by the age and look of the shadow box, I'd say it was made probably not long after the recovery. It's kind of amateurish, so I'm thinking perhaps some of these were made and sold to raise money for the recovery, or perhaps was put together by a bystander who managed to grab a few pieces. I have been buying and selling antiques and collectibles as a side gig for 22 years and I've never seen something like this. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, but think basic wooden shadow box about 3 inches deep and maybe 10x15".

Of course, there are potential legal ramifications, given the USS Cairo is a US Navy vessel, and the US Navy never abandons anything. So I'm not sure even what the legal status of the items in the frame are. They most certainly aren't worth anything separate from their association with the wreck. Heck, I'd don't even know 100% of they are authentic, although I think they are given the age and look of the box and the quality of the rest of the collection they are part of.

Any idea on a fair offer?
Picture, pictures, did I say pictures...…...and welcome from Maryland!

Back