USN Screw Picket boat historical flags flown?

Tut11

Sergeant
Would like to have a confirmation on which flags actually flew on the USN Picket boat that sank the CSS Albermarle. Does anyone have correct data for the bow flag pole? Also which star count was the stern Union flag for her? If anyone has detailed drawings of her would be much appreciated so far this is all I can come up with for drawings:
Picket Boat No. 1.jpg

Which are fine, just looking for more as us modelers do.

The star count should be 35; it was just a few days before the 36th state, Nevada, was admitted.

The Union position was that all states, including those which claimed to have seceded, were in the Union.

p.s. just speculating, but if I were carrying out the attack, handling the spar torpedo and possibly the howitzer, I would dismount and stow the jackstaff.

Last edited:
I'm going to venture a guess... if a boat was an auxiliary of another unit, it may have flown the boat flag. If it operated entirely independently, it may have qualified for a full national colors. (Or it might have been not as neat and tidy as that. It doesn't appear that consistency was all that rigid in the era.)

Back