USN master's uniform question

Billy1977

Sergeant
Hello everybody, I was hoping someone could help me with the following question(s): Did US Navy officers with the rank of master wear, at any time (e.g. before the 1862 officer uniform changes), a single-breasted frock coat? Or did they always wear a double-breasted one? Also, did their caps have a single stripe of gold braid or two smaller stripes? And which way did the fouled anchor cap insignia point, to the left or to the right? OK so now I see it was really three questions. Many thanks to whomever can answer my questions and shed some light on this. (I'm presuming a "master" and a "master's mate" were two different ranks, correct?).

From 1852 to 1862 there were three types of uniforms for officers, dress, undress and service dress. Dress uniforms were not often worn and many officer did not own them. For undress and service dress line officers surgeons, and pursers wore double-breasted frock coats. All other officers wore single breasted frock coats. Below is a masters mate in service dress 1862-1864.
View attachment 309718

Last edited:
This is from the 1852 regulations:

Full Dress "For a Master - the same in all respects as for a Lieutenant except that, instead of lace, it shall have around the cuffs three medium sized Navy buttons, and three small ones in the opening."

Undress "For a Master - the same in all respects as for a Lieutenant except that, instead of lace, it shall have around the cuffs three three medium sized Navy buttons around the upper edge."

Also officers wore service dress which had the same frock coats but different headgear. They could wear Summer Frock-coats and could wear jackets at sea.

Thank you so much Major Bill for your answers. So would this be correct (bear in mind I can change it, no problem)? I drew a USN master wearing a single-breasted nine-button frock coat with the cuffs each having the three buttons of a master. His cap has two gold braid stripes and above them is a gold fouled anchor with (as one is facing it) the bottom of the anchor pointing to the left. Does that sound correct? Please feel free to correct it so I can fix the drawing and make it 100% accurate. Oh I forgot to mention I drew him wearing an officer's boat cape which covers the shoulder straps so they're not an issue.

I am unsure if masters were "line officer" or not. A person who understand Naval rank needs to chime in.

This is my go to Navy uniform book. It has three photos of Masters in uniform. All are wearing double-breasted frock coats and all three are wearing 1862 style rank.
master 2.jpg

Note that there are several photos of Master's Mates in single breasted frock coats, but remember Master's Mates were warrant officers and not officers like masters.

I don't know the Union navy, but in the Confederate one, the 'master' was a line officer

I surmise the same in the Union Navy. I am less sure if the master rank was used for some non sea going type officers.

Back