Tell me more! Use of Confederate Hand Grenades

Militarybooks

Private
Official Vendor
Morning,

I am finishing my biography of George Washington Rains and the Augusta Powder Works. According to Rains (both in official shipment records and private letters) he had thousands of hand grenades made and shipped from the Augusta Arsenal to the various fronts.

The sources mention rolling lit shells down embankments or entrenchments, or tossing them, etc. This is also true, though not quite as prevalent, for Union hand grenades.

Does anyone have, or has anyone read, primary sources regarding the use, specifically, of Confederate hand grenades?

PS: Does anyone know how to get in touch with Steve Phillips, the man who made a Youtube video someone posted elsewhere about his shell collection, which included several grenade examples? If so, and if you know him, please have him contact me or pass along his info and I will contact him. It is for research for the book mentioned above.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Theodore P. Savas
Managing Director, Savas Beatie
989 Governor Drive, Suite 102
El Dorado Hills, CA 95762
Phone: 916-941-6896
https://www.savasbeatie.com

redbob

Major
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
Morning,

I am finishing my biography of George Washington Rains and the Augusta Powder Works. According to Rains (both in official shipment records and private letters) he had thousands of hand grenades made and shipped from the Augusta Arsenal to the various fronts.

The sources mention rolling lit shells down embankments or entrenchments, or tossing them, etc. This is also true, though not quite as prevalent, for Union hand grenades.

Does anyone have, or has anyone read, primary sources regarding the use, specifically, of Confederate hand grenades?

PS: Does anyone know how to get in touch with Steve Phillips, the man who made a Youtube video someone posted elsewhere about his shell collection, which included several grenade examples? If so, and if you know him, please have him contact me or pass along his info and I will contact him. It is for research for the book mentioned above.

Thank you.Best Regards,

Theodore P. Savas
Managing Director, Savas Beatie
989 Governor Drive, Suite 102
El Dorado Hills, CA 95762
Phone: 916-941-6896
https://www.savasbeatie.com
PM me and I can give you Steve's phone number. Or, you can contact Southern Skindivers Supply at www.ssdsupply.com. and they can assist you.

redbob

Major
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
Here is an example of a Confederate Hand Grenade found in the Alabama River at Selma.
Chug.JPG