USCT Field Dressing Station, 28mm

kyle.dalton

Private
FB_IMG_1634574554025.jpg

From the ambulance set by Perry Miniatures
FB_IMG_1634574731875.jpg

I have made small single figure bases and created my own tufts of grass and painted it. These look much like yours but I worked with 54mm scale.
I'm finishing a larger diorama and wanted to try the technique of sprinkling individual grass. Then I found out they use a grass applicator which creates an electric charge to make the grass stand up until the glue dries. So I may have to revert to my tufts with some of the grass or the short stubble sprinkled around.
I plan to post when I have it completed---maybe December.

I have made small single figure bases and created my own tufts of grass and painted it. These look much like yours but I worked with 54mm scale.
I'm finishing a larger diorama and wanted to try the technique of sprinkling individual grass. Then I found out they use a grass applicator which creates an electric charge to make the grass stand up until the glue dries. So I may have to revert to my tufts with some of the grass or the short stubble sprinkled around.
For the base level soil I used Citadel technical paints. Citadel overcharges for everything, but I have to say that for their technical paints (this one was Stirland Battlemire, I think) the convenience was totally worth it and the applicator tool is indispensable. If I wasn't applying so much grass I would have drybrushed the finished product with a lighter brown or a grey.

I used Army Painter tufts which are super convenient and easy to apply. The grass is also Army Painter, though I didn't have a grass applicator. I just waited until everything was completely dry then spread PVA glue and turned the models upside down, tapping away the excess which also had the benefit of making the grass stand up. With a pair of small tweezers, I made sure to pick away all the excess grass then let it dry.

Im not familiar with any of those products. Years ago I would make my own tufts using material from a twine rope. I would bundle some and glue. It accepted paint.

The local hobby shop has pre-made tufts of grass in various styles that you peel and stick. They are for RR hobbyists.

Here is my test board.
I coat with Gesso and paint with Tamiya Flat Earth. I have a type of grass that is more like sawdust. I sprinkled it over glue and painted with two shades of Green— but it still looks brown. Then I sprinkled 4mm grass and some did stand but you dont see it at this angle. No paint applied.

I think I like the “sawdust” grass— just make another application.

9DD90536-E4EE-4A7F-B278-4C57A8FEE4D3.jpeg

For the base level soil I used Citadel technical paints. Citadel overcharges for everything, but I have to say that for their technical paints (this one was Stirland Battlemire, I think) the convenience was totally worth it and the applicator tool is indispensable. If I wasn't applying so much grass I would have drybrushed the finished product with a lighter brown or a grey.

I used Army Painter tufts which are super convenient and easy to apply. The grass is also Army Painter, though I didn't have a grass applicator. I just waited until everything was completely dry then spread PVA glue and turned the models upside down, tapping away the excess which also had the benefit of making the grass stand up. With a pair of small tweezers, I made sure to pick away all the excess grass then let it dry.
Kyle,
Enjoyed your work very much. I do HO trains but detailing's become harder for me since I developed non-Parkinson's hand tremors.

In olden times we used to sprinkle the grass over a wet base and then blow on the grass to help it stand up.

Back