US Regulars at Shiloh

Ole Miss

Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. QM Stones River / Franklin 2022
I have long wondered about the role of the U. S. Army played in the Battle of Shiloh so I thought I would research its role. The U. S Regulars were small in number in the Western Theater but they were fighters as indicated by the Official Reports submitted by Major John King and Major Stephen D. Carpenter.

When the Civil War broke out the 189 companies of the U. S. Army contained 1,108 officers and 15,135 enlisted ranks. These professional soldiers were highly valued by both sides to form cadres to train the volunteer soldiers pouring into the numerous regiments.

Of 1,108 Regular Army officers serving as of 1 January 1861, 270 ultimately resigned to join the South. Only a few hundred of the 15,135 enlisted men, however, left the ranks because the private soldiers did not have the option of resigning as did the officers. As a brief aside I want to mention that the immigrants were an integral part of the U. S. Army prior to the Civil War and specifically the Irish made up around 20% of the enlisted ranks. There story has been covered in detail by @Pat Young in his many threads and posts.

The Army of the Ohio contained the 15th​, 16th​ and 19th​ U. S. Infantry regiments and 2 batteries of U. S. Artillery, the 4th​ and 5th. ​The infantry regiments were under strength as they were battalions of 8, 7 and 6 companies respectively.

This is a brief description of Brigadier General Lovell Harrison Rousseau’s 4th​ Brigade action in the Battle of Shiloh.

This brigade formed in line of battle on Crittenden's right at 8 a. m. , April 7, 1862, in front of the camp of the Third Iowa, in the following order: Sixth Indiana on the left, First Ohio in the center, First Battalions of Nineteenth, Fifteenth, and Sixteenth United States Infantry on the right, and the Fifth Kentucky in reserve. The Fifteenth Michigan was attached ·temporarily to this brigade and served with it all day. At 9 a. m. the brigade advanced across Tilghman Creek and engaged Trabue's brigade until about 11 a. m., when Trabue retired and Rousseau advanced to Woolf Field, where he found a force of the enemy on its west side. His ammunition being exhausted, Rousseau retired and Kirk's brigade took his place in the first line. As soon as ammunition was supplied Rousseau took position again in the front line and engaged the enemy until he retired from the field.“*

I will be submitting the Official Reports in the next posts. I have decided to start with the Infantry Battalions first and will do the Artillery and Cavalry units next.
Regards
David

*The Battle of Shiloh and the Organizations Engaged by David Reed
Page 65

Major King was the Battalion Commander for both the 15th and 16th U. S. Infantry and submitted this dual report.
Regards
David

Report of Maj. John H. King, Fifteenth U. S. Infantry, commanding battalion of Fifteenth and Sixteenth U. S. Infantry.
Hdqrs. Fifteenth and Sixteenth Infantry, Battle-field, Pittsburg Landing, Tenn., April 13, 1862.
"Sir: I went into the battle on Monday, the 7th instant, in command of two battalions of the Fifteenth and Sixteenth Infantry, the former numbering eight companies, the latter seven companies. After forming line of battle, Maj. Stephen D. Carpenter, commanding five companies of the Nineteenth Infantry, formed on my left and continued with me all day, or until half an hour before the enemy retreated, when he detached his command from me to support a battery about to take a position some distance on our left. I am under obligations to the officers and men of my command for their brave and gallant conduct, and I feel well assured that their services will be properly appreciated by our country. Capt. P. T. Swaine, Fifteenth Infantry, and Capt. Edwin F. Townsend, Sixteenth Infantry, commanders of the two battalions, are entitled to special notice for the discipline and maneuvering of their commands. I take pleasure in referring you to their reports, which are herewith inclosed.
I am, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
JOHN H. KING,
Major Fifteenth Infantry, Commanding."*

* Official Reports of the Rebellion
Series 1, Volume X, Part 1
Page 312

Captains Swain and Townsend submitted Offical Reports as shown below.
Regards
David

Report of Capt. Peter T. Swaine, Fifteenth U. S. Infantry.
Camp McClernand, Tenn., April 12,1862.
"Sir: I have the honor to report that the First Battalion Fifteenth U. S. Infantry, in the battle of the 7th instant, consisted of eight companies. From- the commencement to the close of the battle we were exposed to an incessant fire, but kept steadily advancing, compelling the enemy to yield ground to us. Three times we charged upon the foe, the last time with the bayonet, capturing a battery. My officers displayed great bravery, and gallantly conducted their companies in the hottest of the engagement with the regularity of a drill, and the men were cool, steady, and obedient, well exemplifying their discipline. Not only did they keep gaining ground by driving the enemy before them, but at one time, when heavy re-enforeements were advanced by the rebels, breaking and dispersing the ranks of two adjacent regiments, they stood their ground, and poured such a deadly fire of rile bullets into the ranks of the enemy that' what bid fair at first to be a defeat was turned to a most glorious success.
Many of our enlisted men deserve special notice. Four of them came more particularly under my immediate observation. They are Sergt. Maj. Gustavus E. Teubnes, First Sergts. Eoman H. Gray and John Williams, and Lance Sergt. John Mars, corporal of the permanent party at Newport Barracks.
I am, major, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
P. T. SWAINE,
Captain, Fifteenth Infantry, Commanding Battalion*

Report of Capt. Edwin F. Townsend, Sixteenth U. S. Infantry.
Hdqrs. First Battalion Sixteenth Infantry,
Battle-field, near Pittsburg Landing, April 12, 1862.
"Major: I have the honor to report that on the morning of the 7th instant the battalion under my command went into action with the enemy at this place, numbering 276 rank and file and 18 officers. Shortly after being placed in position we were ordered forward, when the enemy opened a heavy fire upon us. At the first discharge I regret to say that Capt. William H. Acker, commanding Company C, was killed by a ball through the head. From this time we continued to move steadily forward, at no time falling back, except once, to refill the cartridge boxes, and then only after our position had been occupied by reserves coming to relieve us.
About the middle of the day First Lieut. Edward L. Mitchell, of Company F, was instantly killed by a ball through the brain while delivering an order from me to Captain Crofton. Toward the close of the battle Capt. P. T. Keyes, commanding Company D, while gallantly encouraging his men, was struck by a rifle-ball just below the shoulder, breaking the arm and causing a very severe wound. Shortly after Captain Keyes was wounded we were ordered to charge, and moving forward we passed a battery of two guns, which were recognized by some of the officers of my command as being a Tennessee battery.
Both officers and men behaved most gallantly during the whole of the fight, and where all are meritorious I cannot name those who particularly distinguished themselves.
All of which is respectfully submitted."
EDWIN F. TOWNSEND,
Captain, Sixteenth Infantry, Commanding First Battalion.*

Official Records of the Rebellion
Page 313

Captain Townsend's Report avnd the breakdown of casualties of the U. S. Regulars Infantry at Shiloh
Regards
David

Report of Capt. Edwin F. Townsend, Sixteenth U. S. Infantry.
Hdqrs. First Battalion Sixteenth Infantry,
Battle-field, near Pittsburg Landing, April 12, 1862.
"Major: I have the honor to report that on the morning of the 7th instant the battalion under my command went into action with the enemy at this place, numbering 276 rank and file and 18 officers. Shortly after being placed in position we were ordered forward, when the enemy opened a heavy fire upon us. At the first discharge I regret to say that Capt. William H. Acker, commanding Company C, was killed by a ball through the head. From this time we continued to move steadily forward, at no time falling back, except once, to refill the cartridge boxes, and then only after our position had been occupied by reserves coming to relieve us.
About the middle of the day First Lieut. Edward L. Mitchell, of Company F, was instantly killed by a ball through the brain while delivering an order from me to Captain Crofton. Toward the close of the battle Capt. P. T. Keyes, commanding Company D, while gallantly encouraging his men, was struck by a rifle-ball just below the shoulder, breaking the arm and causing a very severe wound. Shortly after Captain Keyes was wounded we were ordered to charge, and moving forward we passed a battery of two guns, which were recognized by some of the officers of my command as being a Tennessee battery.
Both officers and men behaved most gallantly during the whole of the fight, and where all are meritorious I cannot name those who particularly distinguished themselves.
All of which is respectfully submitted.
EDWIN F. TOWNSEND,
Captain, Sixteenth Infantry, Commanding First Battalion."*

Strength and Losses

15th​ United States Regulars
518 Present for Duty
4 KIA
59 WIA
63 Total

16th​ United States Regulars
390 Present for Duty
6 KIA
50 WIA
56 Total

19th​ United States Regulars
260 Present for Duty
7 KIA
30 WIA
37 Total

Totals for all 3 battalions
956 Present for Duty
17 KIA
139 WIA
156 Total Casualties

*Official Records of the Rebellion
Page 313

The Regulars were the "go-to" troops in both the AoT and the AoP and suffered amongst the highest rates of casualties in both armies. The best books on the Regulars that I have found are: That Brave Body of Men by Mark W. Johnson (AoT) and Sykes Regular Infantry Division 1861- 1864 by Timothy J. Reese (AoP).

Excellent points and really good books! I have often wondered how those regulars got along with the volunteers? Professionals and amateurs don’t always mix well.
Regards
David

The 15th, 16th, and 19th US were among nine infantry regiments (11-19) added to the US Army after the war began. Presumably they had a cadre of experienced officers and NCOs to train the new men. Their organization differed from the ten prewar regiments. 1st-10th US comprised ten companies, but 11th-19th were intended to have three battalions each of eight companies, i.e. each battalion would be almost comparable to a regiment. I understand not all of the battalions/companies were fully formed, but the first battalions of the 15th, 16th, and 19th cited here were close to their intended strength. I don't know why this different organization was adopted - anyone?

5th US Artillery was also added in 1861, as was the 6th US Cavalry. Of course the majority of the wartime mobilization was volunteer units.

Excellent points and really good books! I have often wondered how those regulars got along with the volunteers? Professionals and amateurs don’t always mix well.
Regards
David
I would imagine that it was somewhat of a love/hate relationship between the two as the volunteers often weren't held to the same level of discipline/professionalism as the regulars, but I imagine that the volunteers were always glad to see the regulars due to the level of their fighting ability. That said, recruiting was often the problem for the regulars as they were asked to serve longer terms of enlistment, their slow promotion rates and their known heavy casualties. By 1864, the regulars in the AoP were pretty much shot out and used up.

At the time of the Battle of Shiloh, April 1862, cavalry was used for reconnaissance and skirmishers. The U. S. Cavalry squadron served as skirmishers for Brigadier General W. H. L. Wallace’s Division for both days of battle.

Here is the Official Report of Lieutenant James Powell the squadron commander of the U. S. Cavalry.
Regards
David

Report of Lieut. James Powell, Eighteenth U. S. Infantry, commanding detachment Second and Fourth U. S. Cavalry.
Pittsburg, Tenn., April 13,1862.
"Sir: I have the honor to report the part taken in the late battle of Pittsburg, Tenn., on Sunday and Monday, April the 6th and 7th, by Company C, Second, and Company I, Fourth Cavalry.
On Sunday morning, the 6th, at about 9 o’clock a. m., I ordered the squadron to deploy as skirmishers on the right flank of our army, to annoy a rebel battery that kept shelling our camps, and at the same time keeping the communications open between the expected re-enforcements under the command of

Maj. Gen. L. Wallace and the army, which position I held against superior force until the arrival of the above-mentioned general, and then I bivouacked for the night in the rear of our right flank.
On Monday morning, the 7th, I received orders to support a battery under the immediate command of Major-General Wallace. I kept that position during the day, following up the enemy and taking several prisoners. I remained with this division during the night.
Tuesday, the 8th, I received orders to proceed on the road to Corinth and found the enemy in force; returned and reported accordingly.
Casualties during the action: Private Frederick Rhyman, I, Fourth Cavalry, killed, and four horses; wounded, Privates Herberick, Ahrus, McWilliams, Grew, and Hastings, all slightly.
JAMES POWELL,
First Lieut, Eighteenth Inft., Comdg. Squad. Reg. Cavalry.
Assistant Adjutant-General,
Second Division, U. S. Forces, Pittsburg, Tenn"*

Present for Duty 68
KIA 1
WIA 5
Total 6^

*Offical Records of the Rebellion
Page 169

^The Battle of Shiloh and the Organizations Engaged by David Reed
https://trace.tennessee.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1000&context=utk_utpress
Page 92

The squadron of the 2nd and 4th U. S. Cavalry were positioned on the far right Union flank. Their Monument and Campsite Tablet are located near Russian Tenant Field and difficult to reach for an old geezer so I have used the Park Service's photos. :thumbsup:
Regards
David

Campsite Tablet

1606514195564.png

U. S. Cavalry Monument

1606514328324.png

(front of monument)
U. S.
2nd U. S. CAVALRY COMPANY "C."
4th U. S. CAVALRY COMPANY "I."
Lieut. JAMES POWELL, Commanding.
2nd DIVISION (W. H. L. WALLACE).
ARMY OF THE TENNESSEE.
(rear of monument)
These companies were engaged all day April 6, 1862, in
front of their camp, as skirmishers on the right of the
Union army.
Casualties: 1 killed, 5 wounded, total 6.

U. S. Regulars Artillery played an important role in the repelling of the Confederates from the Union left flank on Monday, April 7, 1862. Mendehall's and Terrill's batteries in conjuction with other Army of the Ohio units fought for over 8 hours and caused heavy casualties amongst the Rebels.

In this excerpt from Captain Oilman's Official Report, details are provided as to the number and types of rounds expended by these batteries.
Regards
David

Report of Capt. J. H. Oilman, Nineteenth U. S. Infantry, Inspector of
Artillery.
Headquarters Army of the Ohio,
Field of Shiloh, Tenn., April 9, 1862.

"Sir: I have the honor to report that in the battle of the 7th instant at this place ... batteries of the Army of the Ohio were engaged, viz: Captain Terrill’s Fifth U. S. Artillery, consisting of two 10-pounder Parrott guns and four light 12-pounders; Captain Mendenhall’s Fourth U. S. Artillery, with two 3-inch rifled guns and two 12-pounder howitzers...

Captain Terrill’s battery reached the scene of action at about 9 a. m. and immediately opened fire. This battery did terrible execution, and too much praise cannot be awarded it. Throughout the day it was with General Nelson’s division^ and was employed against both infantry and artillery with good effect. At one time, not being sufficiently supported, it was obliged to retire before an overwhelming infantry force, which it did in good order, retiring with fixed prolonge, firing canister into them as it went. At this time he was compelled to leave one of his caissons, which, however, was soon retaken. At about 2 p. m. I found the captain serving one of his pieces himself, with only 2 men to assist him, the other cannoneers being either killed or wounded. His loss was 1 man killed and 15 wounded, 12 horses killed and 7 wounded. No injury was sustained by his guns, carriages, or equipments except that the axle-straps were torn off one of the axles by a ball, which have been replaced, and injuries to harness, which can be repaired from captured pieces. He expended with his two Parrott guns 26 shell (time fuse), 11 percussion shell, 11 case shot, and 28 canister; with his light 12 pounders 53 solid shot, 19 shell, 65 spherical case, and 29 canister: in all, 242 rounds.

Captain Mendenhall went into action with his battery about 6 a. m. It was first employed against infantry, which was driven back, and then against a rebel battery, which he caused several times to change position and finally silenced. Until about 1 p. m. he was with General Nelson’s division, when he joined General Crittenden’s, and replied to a battery there, from which the cannoneers were soon driven and the battery taken by our troops. This battery had very severe work during the entire day, was well handled, and efficiently served. His loss was 2 men killed and 8 wounded and had 6 horses killed and 8 wounded, and 3 escaped during the battle. He expended 244 case shot and 12 canister in his 3-inch guns, and 90 shell, 120 spherical case, and 32 canister in his howitzers; in all, 498 rounds expended.
Captain Bartlett’s battery, with General Crittenden’s division began firing shortly after 6 o’clock a. m. It was employed j|oth against infantry and artillery, and rendered most important service. The officers and men worked hard, faithfully, and efficiently until about 12 m., when their ammunition gave out, and the captain took his limbers back^ filled them; and returned. This, however, was not accomplished in time to permit the battery to participate any further in the action. During the six hours that the battery was engaged 600 rounds were fired. His loss was 2 men wounded, 1 horse killed, 1 set harness lost. His battery sustained no injury, except that one elevating screw was bent and rendered unserviceable.

...Captain Terrill will require 20 horses and the same amount of ammunition that he expended, having found only about 17 rounds (captured) that would fit his guns. He, however, has a supply on the road. Captain Mendenhall requires 14 horses, 240 case shot, and 12 canister for 3-inch guns, and 60 spherical case and 20 canister for his howitzers, having partially supplied the latter from captured ammunition...
...The artillery captured by the Army of the Ohio on Monday, the 7th instant, I will report upon as soon as it is collected. The number of pieces is about 20. I will here state that many of these are the same that were taken from the forces here by the rebels on Sunday, and that when retaken on Monday they were taken off by the batteries that had lost them Sunday; a proceeding that could not well be interfered with, as it would delay them in getting their batteries again in order.
Respectfully submitted."

J. H. GILMAN,
Capt. Nineteenth U. S. Inft., Insp. of Arty., Army of the Ohio.
Capt. J. B. Fry,
Asst. Adjt. Gen., U. S. Army, Chief of Staff.

Pages 301-302

This is the Official Report of Captain John Mendenhall commander of the 4th United States Artillery, Batteries H & M, after the Battle of Shiloh. He provides a very detailed report
Regards
David

Report of Capt. John Mendenhall, Fourth U. S. Artillery, Chief of Artillery, Fifth Division.
Bivouac near Pittsburg, Tenn.,
April 9,1862.
"Captain : I have the honor to submit the following report of the part taken by my battery in the action of the 7th instant:
After having disembarked and formed in column of pieces upon the bluff above the Landing I was ordered by General Crittenden to advance with the Fifth Division toward the scene of action. On my way thither my battery was detached by General Buell and sent to a position upon the right of an open field, near the left of our lines, where a brisk firing was going on between the rebel infantry posted in the opposite woods and our own near me. I opened fire at once upon the enemy with my sections of rifled guns. My left section had been previously halted by General Buell, but was soon afterward ordered up. My fire was now returned by the enemy’s artillery, posted apparently in rear of his infantry, but so screened from observation by the forest that his position could only be determined by watching the smoke of his pieces. After about half an hour the enemy ceased firing, but soon after opened again with artillery and infantry, but to the right of his former position. I immediately answered, and in a very short time his fire again ceased. After a brief interval he recommenced a well-directed fire from his first battery, to which I replied at once, at the same time separating my pieces somewhat, to avoid a concentration of fire upon my whole battery. After about ten minutes’ duration the enemy’s fire ceased for a short time, and was not renewed again from the same battery until late in the action. Half an hour afterward, however, he opened from a battery to my right, and evidently in anticipation of an advance upon the center of our lines. I at once changed front, and replied first with case shot and subsequently with canister, as the enemy’s infantry advanced through the underbrush. So disastrous was the effect of this fire that the enemy fell back and opened again upon us from his guns on the opposite side of the field, at the same time moving forward for a general advance upon our left. As this movement was continued we received, besides the direct fire of the enemy’s first battery, a destructive enfilading fire from artillery and infantry on his right.
Finding our left closely engaged I changed front in that direction, and reopened with case shot and canister so effectively that the enemy’s second battery was silenced; when, finding our infantry intervening, I changed position to the right and again engaged his first battery, which at this time recommenced firing upon us. The first section of Captain Terrill’s battery also opened upon the same, and firing was maintained at intervals for about an hour and a half, when the enemy ceased firing. His third battery then opened upon the right of our center, but, our own infantry being between himself and my battery, I changed the position of the howitzer, in order to open with canister upon his flank as soon as it should be unmasked by our infantry. Before this occurred, however, our troops drove the enemy back, when I opened upon his first battery, to which he replied with but two shots. His fire was evidently directed upon our right, then pressing him to a rapid retreat, and in a short time his battery ceased firing.
At this moment I was directed, by orders from General Buell, to move around to the right and silence a rebel battery from which a heavy firing was being carried on against the Fifth Division. I moved briskly to the point designated, and as soon as our infantry could be separated to the right and left I opened upon the -enemy with canister. After firing some five rounds I drove him back from his position, and moving forward occupied it myself, continuing the fire of canister upon a thicket where he had sought shelter after abandoning his guns. As soon as this thicket was cleared I moved a short distance to the left, and continued my fire upon some rebel cavalry who were retreating through the woods beyond an open field before me. After dispersing these I moved some SO yards to the right, in rear of a burning house, for the purpose of shelling the wood beyond it, but I found that the enemy had all disappeared and their positions were being fast occupied by our forces. The rest of the day was passed under the direct notice of the general commanding, and will need, I presume, no further mention.
My battery suffered the following casualties: Killed, Privates Kelly and Williams, of Company H, Fourth Artillery. Severely wounded, Privates Biese, Campbell, and Coyle, of Company H, Fourth Artillery 5 Privates Quigly, of Michigan Volunteers, Alexander, Swallow, and Rooney, of Compapy M, Fourth Artillery, very slightly. Horses killed, 6; wounded, 8 5 escaped and missing, 4.
Ammunition expended: Rounds of case shot, rifle, 244; rounds of canister, rifle, 40; spherical case, howitzer, 120; shell, howitzer, 90 5 canister, howitzer, 32; total, 526.

In accordance with an order from General Boyle I this day sent out Lieut. C. C. Parsons to examine the apparent effect of our fire and that of the enemy, upon which he made the following report:
Bivouac near Pittsburg, Tenn., April 9, 1862.
Captain: I have the honor to report that, pursuant to your instructions, I have this day visited the position upon which our fire was directed in the engagement of the 7th instant, and have made the following observations:
In the skirts of wood upon which our direct fire was first opened there were posted six bronze field pieces, supported by a formidable body of infantry. Of the effective feature of our fire upon this point; I was enabled to judge from the appearance of trees shattered by case shot at very low range; of carriage wheels strewn over the ground; of one caisson completely disabled and abandoned: of dead horses, four of which were left here, and of the enemy’s dead, nine of whom still remain, besides those already buried. To the rear of this point I found one gun abandoned, behind which were 5 dead horses, and around which the trees were again shattered at so low range as to show that the enemy must have been driven from this position with great loss, although from the fact that the dead had been- buried I could not determine the number. I am satisfied that the cannonading from the right of this point, to which we afterwards replied, was from guns of the same battery, which was abandoned near the spot. Along the skirts of the wood enfiladed by our fire the underbrush was completely cut up, but I found only 2 dead horses to give evidence of the enemy’s presence there.
Proceeding through the thicket from which the enemy emerged later in the day I found the bushes broken down by our canister and the ground thickly strewn with their dead. From the fact that our burying parties were already engaged in covering the dead, I found it impracticable, without erring upon one extreme, to determine the number killed by our own fire; but I venture to mention the fact that within the narrow area where I stood more than 100 dead were still to be counted. The position occupied by the enemy’s battery silenced by our own contained 27 dead horses and 7 dead bodies still unburied. I was assured by a soldier that large numbers of the enemy’s dead had already been removed from the thicket showered by our canister. In the wood beyond the field over which we last fired I found the remains of 2 horses and graves in which a number of the dead had been buried, but how great I could not ascertain.
In terminating these observations I could not forbear remarking that in every case except one our battery, although engaged with a superior artillery force of the enemy, excelled the latter in accuracy of aim, range, and destructive effect.
CHAS. C. PARSONS,
First Lieutenant, Fourth Artillery.
Capt. John Mendenhall, Chief of Artillery, Fifth Division.
It gives me pleasure to call attention to the coolness and courage exhibited by my officers, First Lieut. Charles C. Parsons, Second Lieut, S. Canby, and Henry A. Huntington, all of the Fourth U. S. Artillery, all of whom rendered me most valuable and efficient service throughout the engagement. Lieutenant Parsons commanded the right section (Rodman’s rifled guns), and Lieutenant Canby the left section (12-pounder howitzers). Lieutenant Huntington took charge of one of the howitzers during the firing...
JOHN MENDENHALL,
Captain, Fourth Art., U. S. A., and Chief of Art. Fifth Div."

Source
Pages 373-375

Here is the monument dedicated to the U. S. Artillery units at Shiloh. It is located just North of Bloody Pond near where both Mendenhall and Terrill were initialy placed on Monday morning April 7.
Regards
David

1607122528130.png

Here is Captain Terrill's Official Report
Regards
David

Report of Capt. William R. Terrill, Fifth U. S. Artillery, Chief of Artillery, Second Division.
Battle-ground of Pittsburg Landing,
April 8, 1862.
"Captain: I have the honor to make the following report:
On Sunday, April 6, by a forced march, General McCook’s division, to which my battery was attached, reached Savannah, Tenn., at 8 o’clock p. m. We waited in a drenching rain until 3 o’clock on Monday morning, April 7, for a steamer to take us to Pittsburg Landing. The battery was embarked by daylight, and immediately after reaching Pittsburg Landing was disembarked and hurried into action. By Lieutenant Hoblitzell, General McCook’s aide-de-camp, the battery was conducted to the ground occupied by General Nelson’s division, which at that time was sorely pressed by the enemy. The battery fought until about 4 o’clock p. m., when the fire of the enemy was silenced. General Nelson then moved his division forward, and we encamped on the ground the enemy had occupied the night before. In the early part of the action the right section of my battery was assigned a position near the right of the division, and was of great service in silencing one of the enemy’s, which was playing on the left and center of the division. After the firing on the left became very severe the section was moved, by permission of General Nelson, to the support of the remainder of the battery, and was of great assistance in repelling the advance of the enemy. This section was commanded by First Lieut. Francis L. Guenther, who behaved with that coolness and bravery which he displayed on a former occasion in Western Virginia, and I especially commend him to the favorable consideration of the highest authorities. Sergeants Davis, Egan, and Maubeck, and Corporals Ervin and Lynch, are especially commendable, though the conduct of ail the men attached to the section gave much satisfaction to their chief.
Soon after the commencement of the action I advanced the left and center sections, commanded respectively by First Lieut. J. H. Smyser and Second Lieut. Israel Ludlow, along the line of skirmishers, where the fire was most galling. I was compelled to this to gain the crest of the ridge to fire upon the enemy’s batteries, which were playing upon our skirmishers. After silencing their fire they seemed to be reenforced with fresh troops, and with vociferous cheers charged along the whole line. The infantry with us gave way before the storm of musket balls, canister shot, and shell, which was truly awful. Lieutenant Ludlow’s section was immediately sent to the rear to protect the retreat of Lieutenant Smyser’s, which was well done. One of Lieutenant Ludlow’s caissons was left here, all the horses having been killed or wounded, but we recovered it later in the day. I served one of Lieutenant Smyser’s pieces (the fifth, a Napoleon) and he the other. We fixed prolonges and fired retiring. The enemy charged us, but were staggered by our discharges of canister, whilst Lieutenants Guenther and Ludlow, on our left, poured spherical case-shot into them. We checked their advance three times, retiring as they charged upon us. From the vigor of their fire, their cheering, and the impetuosity of their advance I judged they were re-enforced each time. For a time Lieutenant Smyser and Corporal Eoberson served the fifth piece (a Napoleon) alone. Sergeant Metcalf, chief of the sixth piece, behaved with great gallantry and devotion. Though wounded in the head by a musket-ball, he gallantly stood by his captain till wounded in the leg and compelled to crawl off. Corporal Brodie and Private John T. Carroll served at this piece until we silenced the enemy’s fire. A sergeant of infantry, seeing us sorely pressed, brought up ammunition at my request. He served but a few moments, when he was shot down. I do not know his name nor the regiment to which he belonged, and was not able to find his body after the battle. Private John Marshall, of Company E, Twenty-fourth Ohio Volunteers, having expended hi& cartridges, threw down his musket and served as a cannoneer during the remainder of the action. He was of great service.
After checking the advance of the enemy we shelled the woods where they were, and at 3.30 p. m. all was quiet in front of General Nelson’s division, when he ordered a change to the position last occupied by the enemy. The Sixth Regiment Ohio Volunteers were then reserved as a support to my battery. The skirmishers thrown to our front discovered that the enemy had abandoned that position. Seeing General McCook sorely pressed and a battery in the woods about half a mile to our right playing upon his division, I opened fire upon the battery with two Napoleon guns. In an instant that battery and one to its rear, and nearer us, opened. Having but few cannoneers, I called upon Lieutenant-Colonel Anderson for a detail of men from his regiment to man the guns. The men soon came forward, and the Napoleons began to tell. Lieutenant Smyser’s piece was disabled by a shot tearing off the center axle-strap, when the next recoil of the piece tore off the other two. Lieutenant Guenther, in the mean time, with his section had advanced with General Nelson’s skirmishers, and he took these batteries in reverse. They were soon silenced, and I enfiladed the enemy’s line with shell and spherical case-shot. My center section was posted so as to prevent our left flank being turned. Our fire must have told fearfully, for very soon General McCook’s whole line rapidly advanced and drove the enemy before them, and the day was ours. After ascertaining that the enemy had retreated, Captain Fry, chief of staff, ordered me out on the road leading to Corinth, to camp for the night with General Nelson’s division. We remained all night in the camp occupied by the enemy the previous night, and the next morning at daylight returned to the battle-ground.
I have already spoken of Lieutenant Guenther’s gallant conduct, but I cannot close my report without doing justice to my other gallant officers. Asst. Surg. Dallas Bache, U. S. Army, who has been with my battery, and the chief medical officer of the artillery of the Second Division, was on the field of battle, attending the wounded, not only of the artillery, but of all arms, friends and foes. Words can hardly express my appreciation of his services and great devotion to duty. For five long, weary months in camp, during the most trying weather, he has been unremitting in his devotion to the sick, and yesterday his conduct on the battle-field crowned it all. First Lieut. Jacob H. Smyser, Fifth Artillery, behaved with great gallantry, and fought his piece with desperation amid the hail of missiles of every description. With but one man left at his piece he brought it safely off. Second Lieut. Israel Ludlow, Fifth Artillery, behaved with great gallantry, and for so young a man acquitted himself with great credit. I commend him and Lieutenant Smyser to the favorable consideration of my superiors. Second Lieut. B. F. Rittenhouse, Fifth Artillery, had been left on the road to Savannah with our baggage train, and did not participate in the action. I regret his absence, inasmuch as it deprives me of the pleasure of adding his name to those of his gallant brother subalterns.
The Sixth Regiment Ohio Volunteers, when selected to support my battery, came forward with alacrity. They stood by me to the last, and when the fire of two of the enemy’s batteries was concentrated upon us, the shot and shell falling around us, not a man moved. Their gallant commander, Lieutenant-Colonel Anderson, proved himself a true soldier, and had the enemy charged us again, my Napoleons would have been protected by a support in which I have the utmost confidence.
WM. B. TERRILL,
Capt. Fifth Arty., Comdg. Bat. H, Chief of Arty., Second Div.
Capt. Daniel McCook,
Assistant Adjutant-General, Second Division."

Pages 321-323

The 15th, 16th, and 19th US were among nine infantry regiments (11-19) added to the US Army after the war began. Presumably they had a cadre of experienced officers and NCOs to train the new men. Their organization differed from the ten prewar regiments. 1st-10th US comprised ten companies, but 11th-19th were intended to have three battalions each of eight companies, i.e. each battalion would be almost comparable to a regiment. I understand not all of the battalions/companies were fully formed, but the first battalions of the 15th, 16th, and 19th cited here were close to their intended strength. I don't know why this different organization was adopted - anyone?

5th US Artillery was also added in 1861, as was the 6th US Cavalry. Of course the majority of the wartime mobilization was volunteer units.
I don't know if this is the answer, but it might lead you to it, if not. In [O. R. Series 3, Volume 1, page 154] begins this message;
General Orders No. 16; May 4, 1861:
"The President of the United States having directed an increase of the Regular Army of the United States by the addition of eight regiments of infantry, one regiment of cavalry, and one regiment of artillery, making a minimum aggregate of 18, 154 officers and enlisted men, to be augmented, at the discretion of the President, to a maximum aggregate of 22,714 officers and enlisted men, the following plan of organization has been adopted, and is directed to be printed for general information."
[Page 156]
4. General Organization: This force will be organized into two divisions of two brigades each. Each division will have 1 major-general, 2 aides-de-camp (a captain of lieutenant), 1 assistant adjutant-general (a major from the Adjutant General's Department), 1 quartermaster (from the regular staff of the Army), 1 commissary of subsistence (from the regular staff of the Army).
A brigade will have 1 brigadier-general, 1 aide-de-camp (a lieutenant), 1 assistant adjutant-general (a captain from the Adjutant General's Department), 1 assistant quartermaster (a captain), 1 assistant-commissary (a captain).
To provide for the foregoing, there will be added to the Adjutant-General's Department 1 lieutenant-colonel, 4 captains, and to the Commissary Department 2 majors.

Lubliner.

I don't know if this is the answer, but it might lead you to it, if not. In [O. R. Series 3, Volume 1, page 154] begins this message;
General Orders No. 16; May 4, 1861:
"The President of the United States having directed an increase of the Regular Army of the United States by the addition of eight regiments of infantry, one regiment of cavalry, and one regiment of artillery, making a minimum aggregate of 18, 154 officers and enlisted men, to be augmented, at the discretion of the President, to a maximum aggregate of 22,714 officers and enlisted men, the following plan of organization has been adopted, and is directed to be printed for general information."
[Page 156]
4. General Organization: This force will be organized into two divisions of two brigades each. Each division will have 1 major-general, 2 aides-de-camp (a captain of lieutenant), 1 assistant adjutant-general (a major from the Adjutant General's Department), 1 quartermaster (from the regular staff of the Army), 1 commissary of subsistence (from the regular staff of the Army).
A brigade will have 1 brigadier-general, 1 aide-de-camp (a lieutenant), 1 assistant adjutant-general (a captain from the Adjutant General's Department), 1 assistant quartermaster (a captain), 1 assistant-commissary (a captain).
To provide for the foregoing, there will be added to the Adjutant-General's Department 1 lieutenant-colonel, 4 captains, and to the Commissary Department 2 majors.

Lubliner.
Interesting, thanks. This does help to explain the infantry organization. Ten new regiments were authorized a total of 18-22,000 men. Regiments normally had no more than 1000; the prewar army comprised nineteen regiments totaling 16,000 troops. The 6th Cavalry and 5th Artillery were of standard size (12 companies/batteries) but the new infantry regiments were about twice the size of the old.

Last edited:
These professional soldiers were highly valued by both sides to form cadres to train the volunteer soldiers pouring into the numerous regiments.
Just a note.
The Regulars where NOT used as cadres to train volunteers. It is one of the things that Scotts can be seriously criticized for not doing.

The obvious solution would have been splitting up the regular units using ncos as company officers in volunteer units and the privates as nco's. Even just having one of each in a volunteer regiment would have been a huge improvement in the ability to train new men. Not only in drill but also in how to make a effective and healthy military camp.*

Only the officers where allowed to temporarily command volunteer units, usually at the brigade level and higher.

The only area where the regulars (in my opinion) did have a clear positive effect on volunteers is with union artillery. If you look at the order of battle for the Army of Potomac in summer 1863 regulars batteries make up about 1/3 of the total number. And they are brigaded with volunteers and there was a deliberate focus on getting the regulars to help train and "professionalize" the volunteers.
This is one of the reasons why union artillery was as good as it was.

* Later in the war when the USCT was organized this was done by using experienced nco and company level officers as cadres... after they passed a exam.

This picture shows the last location of Terrill's Battery on Monday, April 7th at the intersection of the Hamburg-Purdy Road and Eastern Corinth Road. At the time of the battle, the battery was armed with two 10-pounder Parrotts and four 12-pounder Napoleons. Today there are two 3.8 in. James Rifles, Type 3 marking Terrill's Battery. According to @TomP, a Corinth Civi War Interprative Center Ranger, these 2 tubes and 1 located at Myer's Battery in Sarah Bell's Cottonfield are the only known survivors of this type! Very impressive Shiloh NMP!
Regards
David

1607973858337.png

Looking into the maw of the rigth tube.

1607974008999.png

Close up of the right tube

1607974128203.png

The tablet marking the location of Terrill's Battery

1607974288222.png

Last edited:
Here is a photo of the 3.8" James Rifle Steel, Type 3, Ames at Myer's Battery.
Regards
David
1607982706722.png

Back