US Naval Hospital Tickets and Case Papers

Michael O'Neil

Private
Hi folks,

Wasn't really sure where to post this as it's more a request for help with transcribing and I couldn't find a specific area for that but it is a medical issue so here goes.

It's a US Navy hospital admission ticket and it refers to a John O'Neil (2nd Class Fireman) who was transferred to the hospital ship USS Ben Morgan stationed at Hampton Rhodes, VA from the USS Port Royal. I have his pension files which states he died of typhoid on 20 June 1862 at 4.30pm. The death notification states that he was admitted to treatment on 10 June 1862 (so presumably aboard the Port Royal) and that he was admitted 15 June 1862 from the Port Royal (so presumably to the Ben Morgan). John was born 14 May 1842 in Ireland and had come to New York City in 1852, he'd enlisted 19 April 1862 in NYC and his Rendezvous Report says he was a native of New York (incorrect). He was buried in Calvary Cemetery, Queens on 24 June 1862.

The front of the hospital ticket is dated 14 June 1862 and the reverse talks about the treatment given to him but I have no idea what medicaments were used or administered hence my request in this forum.

It starts…

John O'Neill 2nd C. F. (???) 21 nativity N. York shipped N. York went upon list June 10th complaining of violent pain in bowels.

Would really appreciate any help with this especially the sort of treatment given to typhoid sufferers and how effective or successful it was.

Regards - Michael.

USNavalHospitalTicketsandCasePapers18251889_502711952.jpg

Initial transcription attempt -

Complaining of violent pain in bowels. bowels(?) constipated. tongue clean(?) and red. some(?) fever. pulse above normal. Treatment gave him a (alum ricine Zk -???) pinch...(?)... applied mustard plaster to stomach. June 11 still had some fever. pain in abdomen. tongue reddish. gave him calomel(?) gs(?) VIII potash nitrate gs XVI

...June 12 13 and ? his symptoms are more aggravated still great pain upon pressure in abdomen. low stage of fever. delirium. gave him quinine sulphia ?. gs II. ...whiskey. Disease originated while in discharge of duty.

Calomel was used to treat typhoid during the Civil War. It was mercury based and came in two main forms. "Blue pills" contained a mixture of mercury, rose water, licorice, powered rose, honey, and sugar. "Blue mass" was a lump of mercurous chloride, from which dispensing doctors, pinched off a piece. Doses were never standard.

Alcohol was commonly used in Civil War medicine as a positive stimulant, or "tonic." Any form of liquor that was available was used to strengthen patients suffering from gunshot wounds to diarrhea. ...scurvey, depression, pre and post surgery, depression, shock, ... you name it, alcohol was considered a common cure during that time period. Soldiers in the field often received an occasional "whiskey ration", to keep them "healthy." Diluted alcohol was even used as an eye wash. Too bad, doctors did not use it directly on wounds, where, it might have actually done some good. Looks as though in John O'Neil's case, whiskey was used as a last resort.

Cheers Littlestown for the help - I'm stumped with this but then again I'm not a Civil War doctor. I've googled like mad for the medicines and here's my best effort.

John O'Neill 2nd C. F. (???) 21 nativity N. York shipped N. York went upon list June 10th complaining of violent pain in bowels - bowels constipated. tongue clean(?) and red. some fever. pulse above normal. Treatment gave him a alum ricine (??) pinch…(?). applied mustard plaster to stomach. June 11 still had some fever. pain in abdomen. tongue reddish. gave him calomel(?) gs(?) VIII potash nitrate gs XVI Lacach Alb ?II (Down in pulse or dose in pulv) VIII one every two hours. June 12 13 and (today or 15 day?) his symptoms are more aggravated still great pain upon pressure in abdomen - low stage of fever. delirium. very weak. gave him quinine sulphia ?. gs II. beef tea whiskey. Disease originated while in discharge of duty.

OK next best effort - someone on rootschat suggested aet before 21 is aetatis (see underline) meaning age thereabouts.

John O'Neill 2nd C. F. aet (aetatis) 21 nativity N. York shipped N. York went upon list June 10th complaining of violent pain in bowels - bowels constipated. tongue (clean or clear) and red. some fever. pulse above normal. Treatment gave him a (alium ricine ??) (tinct opiglla XX). applied mustard plaster to stomach. June 11th still had some fever. pain in abdomen. tongue reddish. gave him (calomel gs VIII) (potash nitrate gs XVI) (Lacach Alb ?II) (Down or Low in pulse VIII) one every two hours. June 12th 13th and (15 day or today) his symptoms are more aggravated. still great pain upon pressure in abdomen - low stage of fever. delirium. very weak. gave him (quinine sulphia gs II or 1/4) (???) in (???) - beef tea whiskey. Disease originated while in discharge of duty.

Wm S. Frost
Assist Surgeon
U. Govt

Back