US Engineer Battle Casualties

1SGDan

Major
Essayons -- Can anyone supply me information on the casualties of the US Engineer Battalion (K, W, died of disease, accidental death)

May I insert a related question?
Okay.

Was there anytime during the War when a company or larger group of Engineers engaged in combat as infantry?
This would result in higher casualties than would be expected in their typical duties.
During WW2, engineer battalions were deployed to fill gaps in the “line”.

But they where still armed as infantry and during the Battle of Stones River they where put into the line as a brigade.
Thanks.
I may be wrong, but I think of the engineers were not under direct fire while performing their duties. I know there were times engineers had to build bridges, etc. while under enemy fire.
(Whereas it WW2, engineers were under fire by long range artillery and aircraft.)

The US Engineer Battalion was comprised of regulars and attached to the Army of the Potomac. It was unrelated to other engineer units made up of volunteers. Yes engineer units were occassionally used to fill gaps in the lines. Most notably in the east in the Wilderness. Information on this unit is difficult to find. The best resource I have found is "A Volunteer in the Regulars" the journal of Gilbert Thompson, but in 15 years of searching I can not pin down their actual casualty losses.

Last edited:
This may help. "50th​ New York Engineers - 20 Killed 207 died by disease
15th​ New York Engineers - 7 Killed 122 died by disease
1st​ New York Engineers - 27 Killed 121 died by disease 1st​ Michigan Engineers and Mechanics - 13 killed and 247 dead by disease. 1st​ Missouri Engineers -16 Killed and 147 dead by disease. Patterson's Kentucky Engineers - 1 Killed and 5 dead by disease. The Pioneer Brigade - At least 12 killed and an unknown number dead by disease."
Search essentialcivilwarcurriculum.com
"Union Engineers During the Civil War"

This may help. "50th​ New York Engineers - 20 Killed 207 died by disease
15th​ New York Engineers - 7 Killed 122 died by disease
1st​ New York Engineers - 27 Killed 121 died by disease 1st​ Michigan Engineers and Mechanics - 13 killed and 247 dead by disease. 1st​ Missouri Engineers -16 Killed and 147 dead by disease. Patterson's Kentucky Engineers - 1 Killed and 5 dead by disease. The Pioneer Brigade - At least 12 killed and an unknown number dead by disease."
Search essentialcivilwarcurriculum.com
"Union Engineers During the Civil War"
Bayouace,
I wrote that article for the essentialcivilwarcurriculum.com. you may notice tat casualties for the US Engineer Battalion were not included. I have been unable to find this information.

The US Engineer Battalion was comprised of regulars and attached to the Army of the Potomac. It was unrelated to other engineer units made up of volunteers. Yes engineer units were occassionally used to fill gaps in the lines. Most notably in the east in the Wilderness. Information on this unit is difficult to find. The best resource I have found is "A Volunteer in the Regulars" the journal of Gilbert Thompson, but in 15 years of searching I can not pin down their actual casualty losses.
As we know, they were put into the front line at the Wilderness on Day 2 (apparently Longstreet's attack). I'm unaware of any casualties and would think my ancestor would have mentioned that in his diary entry. They also were issued arms at Spotsylvania but so far as I know did not actually have to use them. They came under fire at Fredericksburg on December 11, 1862 laying pontoons and - like everybody - were occasionally under fire during the siege at Petersburg.

As we know, they were put into the front line at the Wilderness on Day 2 (apparently Longstreet's attack). I'm unaware of any casualties and would think my ancestor would have mentioned that in his diary entry. They also were issued arms at Spotsylvania but so far as I know did not actually have to use them. They came under fire at Fredericksburg on December 11, 1862 laying pontoons and - like everybody - were occasionally under fire during the siege at Petersburg.
The US engineer Battalion Casualties at Fredricksburg were 2 men captured and 1 wounded.

The regular engineers lost at Fredricksburg were (ranks unknown):

Wounded: James Savage

Captured:

J.A. Curtis and Allen McDonald

These two men were part of the far abutment crew that was surprised when the Confederates suddenly appeared to challenge the construction of the bridge. They were unable to make it back to the boat in time as it hastily departed on the apperance of the enemy.

Other engineer losses at Fredericksburg were as such:

50th New York Engineers

Killed:
Captain Augustus Perkins Co. I; Corporal Robert Pettre Co. F; Private John Barber Co. H; Private Charles Bestwick Co. F; Private William Blakeley Co. C; Private Hanson Champlin Co. I; Private Philip Comfort Co. F; Private Lewis Wilcox Co. C; Private Isaac Bradshaw Co. F (Died of wounds February 2, 1863).

Wounded: Captain Wesley Brainerd Co. G; Captain James MacDonald Co. K; Corporal Sterling Wicks Co. K; Artificer William Fox Co. F; Artificer George Fowler Co. F; Artificer Franklin Shepard Co. C; Artificer Samuel Welch Co. C; Private Richard Bascombe Co. C; Private John Cross Co. C; Private Philander Dunlap Co. C; Private Peter McKenna Co. C; Private Warren Watson Co. C (Discharged for disability February 26, 1863)

15th New York Engineers

Killed: None

Wounded: Sergeant William Doyle Co. E (Discharged for disability February 20, 1863); Private Michael Fox Co. E (Discharged for disability January 13, 1863); Private James McKenna Co. B; Private Emil De Roche Co. B

Back