Restricted US Army Ranger Crest Has Been Southern Cleansed

8thFlorida

First Sergeant
I recently visited my local Army/Navy store and came across the original unit crest for the US Army Rangers. I couldn't help but notice that the original unit crest included a Confederate Battle Flag in the top right quadrant of the pin. Immediately I was interested and started to research the origin of the Rangers which are an elite unit of the US Army. The only reference I could find was a blog that I have attached here and I really encourage everyone to read about the history of the unit and come to your own conclusion as to why the Rangers Crest was culturally cleansed. The CSA Battle Flag was used in the 70s without any harsh cleansing of the insignia. If you have any further information feel free to share! And yes the Rangers do trace part of their history back to the CSA and John S. Mosby. Mosby's Rangers were and are legendary and they were forerunners of tactics that are still employed today by the US Army Rangers.
Rangers Pin.JPEG

Here is the blog I recommend:
http://plbirnamwood.blogspot.com/2013/05/army-rangers-thoughts-and-history-of.html?m=1

Last edited:

8thFlorida

First Sergeant
No ideas as to why this Army Ranger Insignia was changed in the 70's or not much interest?

8thFlorida

First Sergeant
Well apparently this was changed in the 70s. But I think Civil War history was already being expunged as early as the 70s. That is what I was wondering as well.

O' Be Joyful

Sergeant Major
No ideas as to why this Army Ranger Insignia was changed in the 70's or not much interest?

I read your post when it first appeared 8th, I looked over the blog post you attached and then did a search for the patch and any other mentions of it. The most I could come up with was that it was available for sale as, what appeared to me, a fantasy piece. I couldn't find any other mentions/claims anywhere such as the blogger posted. And that seemed strange to me. I am not asserting that the blogger was making stuff up, but you would think that something like this would spread like wildfire and he would not be the only one on the web talking about it.

I didn't post anything about it cuz I didn't want to be seen as starting a kerfuffle by implying that the blogger was being less than truthful.

But, I am curious about the story behind this, is it scuttlebutt or true and if they would be kind enough to respond, the only 2 I can think of at the moment that might know are @Legion Para & @ucvrelics.com