US Army has NO Plans To Rename Bases

And this is a area where it was about as bitter as it got back then.
And from my experience of traveling through Missouri during the mid 2000's, not much has changed.

I could not believe the unspoken hostility in some areas around Columbia, when I was wearing an 'Ole Miss Rebel' shirt.
I was only going to a football game between Mizzou and Ole Miss.

I have relatives in the Boot Hill and the St. Louis area, so I know Missouri history back to the French Colonial era.
But I never expected such hostility at a restaurant in Columbia.

Last edited:
Hopefully in the decades to come when there is an accountability for the actions of the cultural fascists and their lapdogs for their crimes against Confederate heritage and American history, most of us will still be around to tell our grandchildren that we helped defend the honor of the dead, that we were the ones who spoke up for those who cannot speak for themselves anymore.

Photos taken from the memorial service for North Carolina's last Real Son of a Confederate Veteran and World War II US Marine Veteran Mr. Clifford "Cliff" Blair Hamm (1923 - 2019) RIP! Keep this in mind when you ponder the dishonorable decision made.

And from my experience of traveling through Missouri during the mid 2000's, not much has changed.

I could not believe the unspoken hostility in some areas around Columbia, when I was wearing an 'Ole Miss Rebel' shirt.
I was only going to a football game between Mizzou and Ole Miss.

I have relatives in the Boot Hill and the St. Louis area, so I know Missouri history back to the French Colonial era.
But I never expected such hostility at a restaurant in Columbia.
Hostility over college football?

The above article is erroneous to the point of providing an impression contradictory to the truth.

Although, Captain Dusenbury's Confederate Battle Flag only stood on Shuri Castle at Okinawa for two days, the above citation gives the wrong explanation for its removal. Major General Andrew Bruce objected because his army troops were supposed to take the castle and not the Marines. The complaint escalated to Marine Lieutenant General Simon Bolivar Buckner—son of the same-named Confederate general—who reluctantly ordered CBF replaced by the Stars and Stripes. In fact, Buckner kept the flag as a souvenir although he was killed a few days later.

Buckner probably never met Dusenbury. Its even less likely he told the captain that the flag needed to be replaced because it did not represent all Americans. Dusenbury suffered a paralyzing wound, requiring that he be promptly evacuated. His Company raised the flag in his honor; he did not put it up.

Source: Irving Werstein, Okinawa: The Last Ordeal (New York: Thomas Crowell, 1968), 162-63

Buckner was an Army General

I had the honor of meeting Julian Dusenbury at his home when visiting with his son Tim, a friend and classmate at the Citadel "74. Tim was a Marine helicopter pilot who died in a cobra mishap in Greece in the late 70s.
Tell us more. I found a post about Julian by his grandson that I incorporated into the remarks upthread. I’d like to learn more.

Not a lot to add. Was traveling with Tim around sophomore/junior year. Probably for an out of town football game. Stopped at his parents house for a few hours. We gathered in the bedroom and chatted where his father was bedridden. I knew of his being wounded by a sniper but was not familiar with the story of the flag raising. Tim was tragically lost on a Med deployment when he got a ride in another squadron's aircraft. Hit powerlines.

Source: Irving Werstein, Okinawa: The Last Ordeal (New York: Thomas Crowell, 1968), 162-63

There doesn't seem to be an online version of Okinawa: The Last Ordeal . A found review said it was a children's book.

Here's another book that says Captain Dusenbury was paralyzed after the flag incident. From: The Confederate Battle Flag By John Coski:

1585766702521.png

While both the believe and the position of Dusenbury not receiving the MoH simply because of that flag are somewhat understandable it´d take a look at numbers as well. Awards have to be nominated or requested. Get too many nominations from a unit and/or for a certain battle or campaign and most of them will be downgraded or simply denied. For the battle his regiment alone received, if I counted correctly, 3 MoHs (and more for the division). Meanwhile the number for the battle was just about 24 medals in total (including army and navy as well).

Last edited:
There doesn't seem to be an online version of Okinawa: The Last Ordeal . A found review said it was a children's book.
I figured that is the kind of source you preferred, because the book you first cited up-thread, Guts and Glory: World War II, is also children's book.
Here's another book that says Captain Dusenbury was paralyzed after the flag incident. From: The Confederate Battle Flag By John Coski:
View attachment 353364
According to Stuart Moore who is Julian Dusenbury's grandson, Julian did not raise the Confederate Battle Flag at Okinawa. As noted in my original post on this topic, Moore says it was raised in Dusenbury's honor by the troops of his company after Dusenbury suffered a paralyzing wound during the "wiping up process."

Moore also states that Lt. General Simon Bolivar Buckner intervened to protect the Captain from court martial threatened by another general who was offended to see the CBF used instead of the Stars and Stripes. Moore admits, however, that he cannot point to publicly available records to document Buckner's action. Moore provides no indication that Julian's Company was known as a "Rebel Company," as Coski claims. Military units in WWII were deliberately composed of men from various regions of the country.

Finally, Moore's version means that Buckner could not have dressed-down Dusenbury for raising the flag because the Captain had already been evacuated from Okinawa when his company hoisted the flag.

Source: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/for...federate-flag-at-the-battle-of-okinawa/page-2

Last edited:
I figured that is the kind of source you preferred, because the book you first cited up-thread, Guts and Glory: World War II, is also children's book.

According to Stuart Moore who is Julian Dusenbury's grandson, Julian did not raise the Confederate Battle Flag at Okinawa. As noted in my original post on this topic, Moore says it was raised in Dusenbury's honor by the troops of his company after Dusenbury suffered a paralyzing wound during the "wiping up process."

Moore also states that Lt. General Simon Bolivar Buckner intervened to protect the Captain from court martial threatened by another general who was offended to see the CBF used instead of the Stars and Stripes. Moore admits, however, that he cannot point to publicly available records to document Buckner's action. Moore provides no indication that Julian's Company was known as a "Rebel Company," as Coski claims. Military units in WWII were deliberately composed of men from various regions of the country.

Finally, Moore's version means that Buckner could not have dressed-down Dusenbury for raising the flag because the Captain had already been evacuated from Okinawa when his company hoisted the flag.

Source: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/for...federate-flag-at-the-battle-of-okinawa/page-2

Touche! That makes us even on the use of children's books. The Confederate Battle Flag should be more to your liking.

According to Captain Dusenbury's bio at The Clemson Corps, his paralyzing injury that required immediate evacuation occurred on June 18th. That happens to be a few weeks after the CBF was raised and replaced by the USAF, just as Coski stated. Ironically enough, that date is the same date that Lieutenant General Simon Buckner was mortally wounded.

1585937547492.png

As a retired Army officer I find it ludicrous that we have bases and streets on bases that are named after people that took up arms against the United States of America. I hope in the near future that these bases are renamed.
Are these bases located in the South which bear these names? Consider the time when these bases where established and the reason why they where given the the names of the generals they were.If they were to change the names ,what names would they be ? Remember in today's social environment names of women,racial and gender should be considered.I would not concern it if Ft, Hood was changed to Ft Wheeler since he did command in both armies ,Civil War and War of 1896,remember America against Spain .As to the traitor issue ,these men who were in the military knew,just as with Lee,that they were betraying their oath ,still their concern for their home and their state{to them that was their country} motivated their action ,They must have realized what would happen to them if they were to lose.Yet I find it interesting that none of these officers ever were tried for treason,any reason why they were not?I personally honor these men not for what they did but for their courage for what they knew for themselves to be right and were willing to risk all,just as I do for the soldiers who did the same on both sides.

Last edited:
Back