1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Upper Water Battery At Fort Donelson

Discussion in 'Contemporary Photos of Civil War Sites & Events' started by J. D. Stevens, Jul 16, 2017 at 2:06 PM.

1. J. D. Stevens

J. D. Stevens Private

First a view up the Cumberland River from the fort.
    0673 Ft Donelson.JPG
    On June 29, Irishtom29 posted some great pictures of the Lower Battery at Ft Donelson. As part of an 8 day road tour, we also visited the park in early June. Originally it was not on our list of places to see. Thanks to Mr Google Maps, I realized it was only a slight detour from our original planned route. No regrets making the last minute change.

My biggest disappointment was the visitor center being closed due to construction. Never being here before and not being able to obtain information about the sequence of the battle was a slight setback. We did not realize Dover was also part of the history, therefore did not go there. With that said, what we saw and learned was well worth the visit.

Irishtom29 provided excellent pictures of the Lower Battery, therefore my presentation will not include that area of the park. There were two batteries at Ft Donelson trained on the river. Something I did not know was the battery names were not because one was at a higher elevation than the other, but one was up river and one was down river. Those Rebs were clever fellows. (Just a little humor folks)

The Upper Battery only contained 3 cannon
    0677 Ft Donelson.JPG
    0680 Ft Donelson.JPG

0683 Ft Donelson.JPG

The 6-1/2" Rifled Cannon at the Upper Battery.

0684 Ft Donelson.JPG

My favorite picture aiming the 6-1/2" Rifled Cannon

0685 Ft Donelson.JPG

A little about the men who defended Fort Donelson

0703 Ft Donelson.JPG

And a replica of Confederate quarters

0706 Ft Donelson.JPG

A Yankee spy scouting the Confederate earthworks.

0707 Ft Donelson.JPG

Some pictures of the the earthworks. Please excuse the poor photography. The beautiful bright sunny day almost forced my amateur skill level into an Unconditional Surrender. So these are as good as it gets.

0709 Ft Donelson.JPG 0711 Ft Donelson.JPG 0713 Ft Donelson.JPG

Because we did not have a map of the park to mark up as we drove around at the time of our visit (visitor center closed), I am not exactly sure where we were when these picture was taken.

0715 Ft Donelson.JPG

A couple more random pictures around the park. Note the American Eagle area.

0722 Ft Donelson.JPG 0718 Ft Donelson.JPG 0719 Ft Donelson.JPG

The U. S. National Cemetery is not in the main battleground park, but a sign on the highway directed us to it.

0728 Ft Donelson-Natl Cem.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2017 at 8:37 AM
    Flint_Hunter, Brenal, donna and 12 others like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Irishtom29

Irishtom29 Sergeant

Very interesting. It appears I completely missed the upper battery and assumed the works above the reconstructed lower battery were the upper one.

bdtex and Jimklag like this.
  4. JOHN42768

JOHN42768 Sergeant Major Trivia Game Winner

Thanks for posting

5. bdtex

bdtex Brigadier General Moderator

Those are great pictures J.D. June 10th was a good day.

6. J. D. Stevens

J. D. Stevens Private

We thought the same thing at first until we saw this sign at the base of the hill of the original earthworks. I read somewhere else, I believe it was at Fort Hindman, that the water batteries were placed low to provide a better chance of hitting the ironclads below the water line. The gunners would actually aim some distance in front of the gunboats and try to skip the cannon ball into them. Sort of like skipping a flat rock across water. Who would ever have thought a large cannon ball or shell would skip?

0701 Ft Donelson.JPG

NH Civil War Gal and James N. like this.
  7. WJC

WJC Sergeant Major

8. Billy1977

Billy1977 Corporal

Great photos! In the picture right below the marker photo for Stankiewicz's Battery (which shows the photo of the Palmetto Battery) is what appears to be a siege gun. Does anyone have any idea what kind of siege gun this is?

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)