Announcement: Upgrade to CivilWarTalk Coming Soon! Also a Poll...

Do you use the CivilWarTalk Link Directory?

• Yes, I use it frequently

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Yes, but not very often

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • Yes, but I wouldn't miss it if it was gone.

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • No, it doesn't do anything for me

Votes: 18 21.4%
  • I had no idea we had a link directory!

Votes: 41 48.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

civilwartalk

Lieutenant General
Owner & Webmaster
upgrade.jpeg

Over the next few days I will be performing some upgrades to CivilWarTalk. Perhaps as early as tomorrow you may see CivilWarTalk go down from time to time. No need to worry, I'll make backups and everything should be fine!

Above you'll find a poll question about the Link Directory. If you've never seen it you'll find it here:
https://civilwartalk.com/link-directory/

I'm trying to decide if I want to keep the link directory because it will be expensive to upgrade along with the forum. It seems to be under used. If no-one actually uses it, then I can drop it. If for some reason there is a great need for the link directory, and we should keep it, please let me know!

For those interested, we are going to attempt to upgrade from XenForo 1.5 to XenForo 2.0. With this upgrade we will need to also upgrade some of our server components, and also upgrade the Add-ons we currently use.

Last edited:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
I miss the opportunity to vote for:

- No, but I would hate to see it go. :D

Indeed I do not use it very often, but I have contributed a few links which were good finds in my eyes and I used the link directory as a kind of virtual library. To know that the links were stored somewhere was good, just in case...
If it is such a financial effort, then I guess we must agree that you dump it, but from my point of view, it would be a pity.
But then, what other answer is to be expected from a librarian...

From my perspective, when ever a thread is posted our member always seem to provide links they know of that pertains to that topic so I really can't see the need.
True, but the link directory collected all the links in one place, so there was no searching for the right thread that contained that particular link I'd like to see again...

luinrina

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Couldn't the Link Directory be posted in thread-format and thus preserved? I imagine it would be substantial work to create that thread and copy all links into it but if the Directory can thus be preserved at low/no financial extra costs, I think it might be a worthwile time investment.

I like the link directory and accordingly use it (including the links I added myself). I think it be very useful for the purpose of what it is, especially with the catergories available. I´d be sad to see it go but of course the financial aspect makes it not my decision.

As for continuing as a thread I think that alone wouldn´t work very well for both missing categorization and sheer mass of links. What probably could work to some degree, though less smooth than the directory, would be to make a new subforum with each link category becoming its own thread, those being moderated so each new post/link would have to be checked and approved like now in the directory.

Hussar Yeomanry

Sergeant
Forum Host
As someone who is still learning quite how much there is available on the internet in regards to the Civil War I have found it a useful starting point and so as time permitted have occasionally used it. Admittedly I intended to use it more and so would be sad to see it go. That said if financially it has to go it has to go.

USS ALASKA

2nd Lieutenant
Member of the Month
So based upon the current tabulation of votes on the poll, 51 out of 52 ( 98% ) would not have their CWT viewing experience greatly impacted, if at all, by the link directory's absence.

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

lelliott19

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
I agree with others who have used it as a sort of "virtual library" of links -- a place where we can virtually store hard to find links we'd like to keep handy. If it is to vanish, I would like to have time to preserve those links that were very hard to find - like the ones to the Confederate Court Martial records which I have added by date. So a heads up and time to save them in another format would be much appreciated.

EDIT TO ADD: Ok. That was so simple! I just copied and pasted all my links into a MSWord document and they transferred flawlessly. They all work from the Word doc so I'm fine if the link directory is deleted now. If anyone needs the Confederate Special Orders A&IGO, by date, they can contact me @Zella @FarawayFriend or @Eleanor Rose

Last edited:
I just saved all of it in a massive Word file, so if it goes away and people want to do something similar in a replacement thread/forum/spreadsheet, etc., all the original link directory information has been preserved. :smile:
That is worth a big, fat, applause!!!!
Thank you so much!!

And for all of us who still scratch their heads what that link directory might be,
Look here, while it is still there:

https://civilwartalk.com/link-directory/

Last edited by a moderator: