1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Updated List of Monuments to African American Civil War Soldiers

Discussion in 'Civil War History - General Discussion' started by ForeverFree, Oct 1, 2012.

1. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Captain

FYI, the list of monuments to African American Civil War Soldiers has been updated. There are at least 20 such monuments throughout the nation, and another monument in Virginia may be added soon. This does not include a list of markers/waymakers about CW Black soldiers, which are many, although a few of these markers are noted. Pictures of each monument are either in the blog entry itself, or, there are links to other sites where the monuments are pictured and described.

It seems that over half of these monuments were created after the release of the movie Glory, so that film was very influential in modifying the memorial landscape for black soldiers.

Only 8 of the 20 monuments are in former Confederate states, even though over half of the Union's colored soldiers were from those states. But there is at least one monument in the three former Confederate states which had the highest number of black Union enlistees: Louisiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee.

- Alan

matthew mckeon likes this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. johan_steele

johan_steele Colonel Retired Moderator

I can't link to the site from my work laptop; does it list the various cemetery monuments?

4. johan_steele

5. Conservator

Conservator Private

This Monument at Arlington National Cemetery represented both Black and White troops.
    The Confederate National Monument .......Didn't see it on the list

Attached Files:

6. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Captain

The African Americans in the Confederate Memorial are faithful slaves, not troops. There are several monuments to faithful slaves that I might try to make a list of, in the future.

- Alan

7. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Captain

Johan,

The list consists of monuments, which are defined as large, usually sculpted outdoor pieces. There are many other markers out there, which are smaller commemorative pieces, which speak about African American soldiers (and which may identify themselves as monuments); and of course, there are many grave markers for the troops as well. But these markers or grave stones are not considered monuments. Collectively, all of these can be considered memorials, but the list consists of monuments, not memorials.

The following image shows a statue of colored soldier in a Nashville cemetery. It is considered a monument, and is included in the list. The grave stones and any markers in the cemetery are considered to be memorials, but not monuments.

[​IMG]

- Alan

Nathanb1 likes this.
  8. johan_steele

There are a few "colored" cemeteries which have monuments w/in. Around 1900 Congress authorized monuments for any cemetery w/ a certain number of ACW vets buried there. Thats why you will find many ACW bronze statues , throughout the Midwest, in cemeteries. I was educated recently that several cemeteries in Illinois, Iowa & Indiana have these in cemeteries w/ numbers of USCT buried w/in. There is often a corelation to the local GAR Hall.

I thought the link I provided had some pics of such but I see I was wrong. I'm not sure where I have the link w/ pics of Every ACW monument in Iowa, which has further links to other states.

ForeverFree likes this.
  9. Red Harvest

Red Harvest 2nd Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

Island Mound (#8) is being taken a bit further, since a state historic site is to be dedicated and opened this month on Oct. 26 and 27. http://mostateparks.com/event/59735/battle-island-mound-dedication I'm not sure what all there will be at this time. When this was getting under way about 4 years ago with the dedication of the statue, only the property the men fortified was in state hands. But we had permission from a landowner to tour the property where the primary fighting occurred. I hope this parcel will eventually become part of the park (perhaps it is by now.)

ForeverFree likes this.
  10. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Captain

Thanks for the info. If you're ever able to find that link, I'd appreciate your posting it.

- Alan

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)