Unusual Stacked Arms

Si Klegg

Corporal
I've just come across this detail of a famous image made at the Appomattox Court House surrender on the American Battlefield Trust website.

Most re-enactors will have practised either of the two versions - Casey's/Gilham's or Hardee's/Ellsworth's ('The Kentucky Swing'). The fourth piece -the rear rank number one man's rifle - is usually just leant into the stack made by the front rank one and two and the rear rank two's three rifles.

Usual Stacked Arms:

stack-63type2.jpg

Then I saw this ... 🤔

Stack Arms.jpg

I believe there's four pieces in the stack on the right where the fellow is leaning on the bayonet, but only three pieces in the stack on the left where the soldier is holding the bayonet. I reckon these lads are having a laugh at the Photographer's and the Army's expense 😇

i see four rifles in each of these stacks. two rifles are close together in the stack were the gent is holding the bayonet. you can clearly see two hammers and two barrels by that guys knee, plus the other obvious 2 in the stack.

i see four rifles in each of these stacks. two rifles are close together in the stack were the gent is holding the bayonet. you can clearly see two hammers and two barrels by that guys knee, plus the other obvious 2 in the stack.
You're right ... I thought it was a rifle sling ... I guess they found a way to stack a fifth rifle then. Could be a file closer's?

Could be a file closer. “You’ll poke your eye out” comes to my mind :smile:. I’ve heard of the colors being placed in that manner on occasions, but I haven’t read the manuals in several years dont recollect a rifle in that position, though it’s apparently done for some reason here...

It may have been done for a "military" reason, but remember, many of these soldiers were just boys, and boys will be boys. Besides, they had just beat Bobby Lee, so who cared about doing things according to the manual any more!

I've just come across this detail of a famous image made at the Appomattox Court House surrender on the American Battlefield Trust website.

Most re-enactors will have practised either of the two versions - Casey's/Gilham's or Hardee's/Ellsworth's ('The Kentucky Swing'). The fourth piece -the rear rank number one man's rifle - is usually just leant into the stack made by the front rank one and two and the rear rank two's three rifles.

Usual Stacked Arms:

View attachment 396029

Then I saw this ... 🤔

View attachment 396030

I believe there's four pieces in the stack on the right where the fellow is leaning on the bayonet, but only three pieces in the stack on the left where the soldier is holding the bayonet. I reckon these lads are having a laugh at the Photographer's and the Army's expense 😇
a good way to loose an eye!!

Back