Ammo Unusual bullet with unusual explanation

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Kelly408

Private
I picked this bullet up from a local show. The seller said it is an "over rammed" bullet, giving it the interesting shape. I've fired a lot of muskets and I can't imagine ever ramming a bullet down so hard as to deform it like this one, if it's even possible to do so. Any ideas as to what this actually is? It would appear to be .58 caliber.

IMG_4770.JPG

IMG_4774.JPG

IMG_4775.JPG

ucvrelics

Major
Forum Host
I agree with @BillH its the bottom round of 2 that were loaded. We had a thread on this not long ago.

bankerpapaw

1st Lieutenant
I picked this bullet up from a local show. The seller said it is an "over rammed" bullet, giving it the interesting shape. I've fired a lot of muskets and I can't imagine ever ramming a bullet down so hard as to deform it like this one, if it's even possible to do so. Any ideas as to what this actually is? It would appear to be .58 caliber.

View attachment 341169

View attachment 341170

View attachment 341171
When you are being shot at and scared to death, no telling how much pressure the soldier put on this bullet.

CowCavalry

Corporal
I never heard of soldiers loading two bullets intentionally. How common was this? And I bet those shots kicked like a mule.
I doubt intentionally; years ago I read an article on the muskets picked up after the battle of Gettysburg. A multitude of them had multiple rounds loaded and not fired, IIRC up to 10 rounds were found in some. Under the stress of combat, strange things happen. I have heard and experienced similar strange things happening due to "buck fever" while hunting ( I once tried to load two D cell batterys into a double barrel 12 ga shotgun lol)

DixieRifles

Captain
Anyway it could be a pulled bullet? I would expect a hole bored in the point. It does appear to have a spiral groove around the nose.
I had to add this because I recently bought several bullets and two were pulled----but the seller said it was double loaded. I had the same question about why would one double load without adding powder. My bullets have a ring around the top and a hole bored through center.

Kelly408

Private
I doubt intentionally; years ago I read an article on the muskets picked up after the battle of Gettysburg. A multitude of them had multiple rounds loaded and not fired, IIRC up to 10 rounds were found in some. Under the stress of combat, strange things happen. I have heard and experienced similar strange things happening due to "buck fever" while hunting ( I once tried to load two D cell batterys into a double barrel 12 ga shotgun lol)

I've read that report also. I always assumed there was powder between each layer of lead.

Kelly408

Private
Anyway it could be a pulled bullet? I would expect a hole bored in the point. It does appear to have a spiral groove around the nose.
I had to add this because I recently bought several bullets and two were pulled----but the seller said it was double loaded. I had the same question about why would one double load without adding powder. My bullets have a ring around the top and a hole bored through center.
The nose of the bullet is nicely rounded. No pull-hole or swag-like bump as shown in the link ucvrelics posted.

Kelly408

Private
I don't see any marks. Nothing that's obvious suggesting this bullet was ever fired or hit something off center. The shape is just a little out of round at it's base but not at it's point. Interesting question. I had assumed all along it was dropped. Being a bit naïve I thought it was cast this way, being someone's idea of an improvement.

alan polk

2nd Lieutenant
I don't see any marks. Nothing that's obvious suggesting this bullet was ever fired or hit something off center. The shape is just a little out of round at it's base but not at it's point. Interesting question. I had assumed all along it was dropped. Being a bit naïve I thought it was cast this way, being someone's idea of an improvement.
Well, you might not be that far off. The absence of rifling marks lends, in my mind, to the bullet being carved or manipulated by a bored soldier.