Unknown Soldier

Dave C

Cadet
This pic is out of an old family album. I realize it is not a very good picture but was wondering if anyone could give me any info by looking at the uniform? Not sure who it is. the closest information I have is it is out of an old family Album that was owned by Richard Albert Clarkson that fought with the 14th Va Cavalry.

Would
civil war soldier .JPG
like to know if it is civil war era, North, South and with any luck what unit.

Thanks!

Have to think about it. he is not wearing a standard Union issue jacket, however my first feeling is he is a Federal. Maybe New York Cavalry?

Have to think about Confederate.

Last edited:
Does this look like it? If so would that make it confederate? Does the sword or hat tell us if it was cavalry or infantry? There may be the chance the photographer kept swords around for props?

This is the caption with the picture: Image 48: John Cocke Ashton's jacket exemplifies one of the most iconic Confederate uniforms of the war: that of the Richmond Depot. It was the uniform of Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia. Ashton's jacket was made after the characteristic features had been well established, but is nonetheless typical of the early war production, being made with artillery edging and of jeans material. The jacket was issued to him after his enlistment on July 29, 1864 with the Norfolk Light Artillery Blues, a Virginia battery. Artifact and image courtesy of the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard Museum, Virginia
canfederate jacket 2.jpg

I was thinking maybe a blue-gray kersey/cadet gray Richmond Depot Type II jacket, as seen above. Not certain though.

The Richmond Depot was the main supplier of the Army of Northern Virginia and from mid to late war they were constructing a lot of uniforms from imported English cadet gray cloth.

Back