Unknown photo of General Thomas Edward Greenfield Ransom???

dcress

Cadet
Any thoughts on whether this is an early war (1861) image of a young Ransom. No backmark or regiment number on kepis to give any clues.

ransom1.jpgransom2.jpgransom3.jpg

The nose looks a little different, and he looks older in this pic. But all else looks the same to me. Here's another pic of Ransom to compare.

Expired Image Removed

Dcress,

It is my personal opinion that it is an early war photo of:
General Thomas Edward Greenfield Ransom

Note, that the uniformed trousers in the early 1861-1862 period, were dark blue with a thin seam on the trousers for Junior officers or staff.

http://vermontcivilwar.org/gen/tegr.php

In the "Vermont" link--he is more mature however, has his mutton-chops, facial features similar but, with the shoulder-board rank of Brigadier-General.

http://www.squidoo.com/union-general-officers-of-the-american-civil-war-quinby-to-russell
(have to scroll down to his name)

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation/civil-war/1864/may/sheridan.htm
(Harper's Weekly period newspaper article with his portrait)

MAY 14, 1864
HARPER'S WEEKLY
GENERAL THOMAS E. GREENFIELD RANSOM.

seriously wounded in the battle at Sabine Cross Roads, Louisiana, on the 8th of April. He was born in Norwich, Windsor county, Vermont, on November 29, 1835. He is the son of Colonel RANSOM, who fell at Chapultepec, September, 1847. General RANSOM entered the service as Captain of the Eleventh Illinois Volunteers on April 26, 1861, and became Major in May, and Lieutenant-Colonel in July of the same year. He was stationed at Cairo, and afterward at Charleston, Missouri, where he was wounded. During January, 1862, he removed to Paducah, to take part in the reconnoissance, under General GRANT, into Western Kentucky, to the rear of Columbus. He next took part in the movement upon Fort Henry and the contests before Fort Donelson, where he was again wounded, commanding his regiment on both occasions. In February he was promoted to the Colonelcy, in place of W. H. L. WALLACE, appointed Brigadier-General. He participated in the battle of Shiloh, where he was a third time wounded, and afterward assisted in guarding the Memphis and Charleston Railroad. On November 29, 1862, lie was commissioned a Brigadier-General of Volunteers, and confirmed on March 9, 1863. During the latter month he formed one of the examining board of officers for the Seventeenth Army Corps. He was next placed in command of the First Brigade of the Sixth Division of that corps, and took a prominent part in the siege operations of Vicksburg, gaining great distinction, his brigade forming part of the force selected to occupy the city after the surrender. He was next placed in command of the post at Natchez, from which he was relieved during September, 1863, and ordered to the Department of the Gulf. There he has shown the highest soldierly capacities, distinguishing himself especially by his gallantry at Sabine Cross Roads, where he was wounded for the fourth time while standing among the guns of one of our batteries.

M. E. Wolf

M. E. Wolf,
Thanks for your observation. I've compare this photo to every known photo of Ransom at the BEST site I know of for photos of Civil War Generals, Union and Confederate, and Brevet Generals and came to the same conclusion as you did. All of the known photos of Ransom were taken when he was a Brigadier-General probably after March 1863 when his rank was confirmed. Your informative observation about his uniform dating to "early 1861-1862 period" and the fact the soldier looks like a younger Ransom before he would have been wounded 4 times, adds to the credibility that it could be him. I've tried to identify some of the other soldiers in relation to the 11th Illinois but haven't found much photographic evidence to compare. Hopefully someone will recognize one of the other soldiers in the photo to help confirm or deny the possibility it is Ransom. Thanks again, David

I looked at all the known images of Ransom and even his own ears looked different when comparing photos because of shadows, angle of pose and lack of clarity in the photos at http://www.generalsandbrevets.com/. I've attached one that looks very similar to compare...hard to get a complete comparison because his hair covers part of his ear in my photo. The straight crease in the lower ear match in both photos and his ear appears to stick out in my photo but it is hard to say for sure since the angle is different.

ransom4.jpgransomt5.JPG

Dcress,

You can use crime-scene techniques by getting the head size the same first, then measure eye width, nose length, ears how they sit, etc. Or, on a clear film lay one photo over the other.

And I would angle the 'general' picture down a bit as to get the measure--as his chin is up in that one whereas the junior rank early photo is slightly down and chin tucked a bit.

And, this would account for the different shadows on the face--which will eye trick you as you see shapes...not forensic evidence.

M. E. Wolf

Back