Ammo Unknown person leaves rusted Civil War-era artillery shell on porch of Adams County antique store

USS ALASKA

Captain
Unknown person leaves rusted Civil War-era artillery shell on porch of Adams County antique store
Posted 4:19 PM, May 1, 2019, by Keith Schweigert
1567258781555.png

NEW OXFORD, Adams County — Eastern Adams Regional Police were called to a New Oxford antique store Wednesday after someone left an artillery shell from the Civil War era in a cardboard box on the store’s porch.

Full article can be found here - https://fox43.com/2019/05/01/unknow...shell-on-porch-of-adams-county-antique-store/

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

Last edited by a moderator:
You could see why it would be worrying, who knows if it was live but doesn't it sound like someone was trying to hand a relic over to someone who'd value it? If they thought it was dangerous wouldn't they call the police themselves?

If their policies are anything like our local police, the removal is going to result in a disposal by detonation regardless of what the item is (or was). So somebody had a civil war shell lying around in grandpa's garage and thought "we don't know what to do with it. Let's give it to that antique store anonymously." And it ends up destroyed.

If this was Adams County, Pennsylvania (where Gettysburg is located) you would think that Law Enforcement would be a little more prepared to deal with situations such as this. And this reminds me of the day that the lady brought a package to the fire station where I worked containing two live hand grenades that her father had brought back from WWII.:banghead:

If this was Adams County, Pennsylvania (where Gettysburg is located) you would think that Law Enforcement would be a little more prepared to deal with situations such as this. And this reminds me of the day that the lady brought a package to the fire station where I worked containing two live hand grenades that her father had brought back from WWII.:banghead:
Oh geez! Keep your wits(pins) about you lady, We’ll take care of it..Hellooo bomb squad? We haz an issue...

Another incident of morons at the bomd squad. Wish I could see photos of the nose end as I believe it could have been disarmed thru the nose and not have to drill a hole in the side.

Unknown person leaves rusted Civil War-era artillery shell on porch of Adams County antique store
Posted 4:19 PM, May 1, 2019, by Keith Schweigert
View attachment 323459
NEW OXFORD, Adams County — Eastern Adams Regional Police were called to a New Oxford antique store Wednesday after someone left an artillery shell from the Civil War era in a cardboard box on the store’s porch.

Full article can be found here - https://fox43.com/2019/05/01/unknow...shell-on-porch-of-adams-county-antique-store/

Cheers,
USS ALASKA
This shell is a Parrott Bolt, meaning it is a solid shot. NOT explosive. Would make a great souvenir. They can't blow up what isn't explosive.

Thats why I wanted to see what the end looked like. Being a bolt is was a rarer shell and worth $250 to $300. You would think an antiques dealer near Gettysburg would know better.

Back