MS Unknown Confederate section, Greenwood Cemetery, Jackson,MS.

Parmenter

Cadet
There are over 100 unknown Confederate grave markers in Greenwood Cemetery with historical evidence of possible nearby mass graves. These markers bear no names. However, I have evidence that there exists a list of unknown CSA soldiers buried in Greenwood whose names of course, cannot be connected to particular grave markers. Question does anyone know of such a list and how to access it? I have present requests to MS State Archives and Greenwood Cemetery Assoc. This is a very long shot quest,
I am researching Jacob S. Bennett, 31st VA. who was paroled for exchange from the Jackson State Fairgrounds, September, October 1862 as part of the Dix-Hill POW Exchange program. Thanks very much for any assistance Ralph Bennett

There are over 100 unknown Confederate grave markers in Greenwood Cemetery with historical evidence of possible nearby mass graves. These markers bear no names. However, I have evidence that there exists a list of unknown CSA soldiers buried in Greenwood whose names of course, cannot be connected to particular grave markers. Question does anyone know of such a list and how to access it? I have present requests to MS State Archives and Greenwood Cemetery Assoc. This is a very long shot quest,
I am researching Jacob S. Bennett, 31st VA. who was paroled for exchange from the Jackson State Fairgrounds, September, October 1862 as part of the Dix-Hill POW Exchange program. Thanks very much for any assistance Ralph Bennett

Welcome!

This is from The Virginia Regimental Series: If he's the same Jacob S. Bennett I found in the Census, he was 45 when he enlisted. Perhaps he was captured just after being discharged. I doubt that would have made any difference with the Yankees.

Screenshot (59).png

Last edited:
Back