VA University of Virginia Confederate Cemetery - part 1

Virginia Dave

First Sergeant
Forum Host
As most of you are aware I have been trying to locate civil war cemeteries near to where I live. A big surprise was discovered when I found out that the University of Virginia had a confederate cemetery. The University of Virginia Cemetery is on the Grounds of the UVA campus with easy access. It has been In operation since 1828, during the earliest days of the University, the cemetery is the final resting place for many University of Virginia professors, administrators, and alumni. It includes a large burial area that holds the remains of 1,097 Confederate States Army soldiers.

During the American Civil War, the cemetery received the bodies of many Confederate soldiers who died in the University hospital. Temporary wood markers were raised by the Ladies Confederate Memorial Association. The markers were replaced with more permanent ones, including a large stone statue of a Confederate soldier designed by sculptor Caspar Buberl, in 1893

Final resting place of General Carnot Posey, who was wounded at the Battle of Bristoe Station in October 1863. He was relocated to the home of friend, Dr. John Staige Davis, in Charlottesville, and died there on November 13, 1863. He was buried in the Davis family plot in this Cemetery.

Original burial site for Brigadier General Turner Ashby, who later reinterred in Winchester, Virginia. Ashby had been a general for just ten days when he was mortally wounded in a battle in Harrisonburg, Virginia.

I am adding a second post as I have taken a good number of photos of headstones so possibly members of CWT might find a lost ancestor.

IMG_2659.JPG

IMG_2660.JPG

IMG_2661.JPG

IMG_2662.JPG

IMG_2663.JPG

IMG_2664.JPG

IMG_2665.JPG

IMG_2666.JPG

IMG_2667.JPG

IMG_2669.JPG

IMG_2670.JPG

IMG_2671.JPG

IMG_2672.JPG

IMG_2673.JPG

IMG_2674.JPG

IMG_2675.JPG

IMG_2676.JPG

IMG_2678.JPG

IMG_2679.JPG

IMG_2680.JPG

IMG_2681.JPG

Last edited:

Tom Elmore

2nd Lieutenant
Member of the Year
A quiet corner of the same cemetery. The "Maupin" monument on left I believe is to Socrates Maupin, faculty chairman from 1854 to 1868. His son, James Maupin, attended from October 1860 until June 1861, when his father permitted him to join a local company. A year later, James Maupin transferred to the Second Richmond Howitzers. He was instantly killed by a solid shot on July 3 while serving his gun at Gettysburg.
CivilWarCharlottesvilleCemeteryMaupin.JPG