Discussion United Confederate Veteran's Uniform Recreation

Johnny_Reb_1865

Sergeant
829D92D670934A32AF282084EFE8461EDSC02668.jpg

Hello all!

As you may already know this is a UCV uniform belonging to a veteran of the Confedetate States Army.

I plan on having someone to recreate this coat for a veteran's display.

Would anyone here know if any patterns of this exist or if any reproductions would be available for purchase?

Also how many buttons would this have had originally?

Any help would be appreciated.

Best,

J.R.

There were many different type CS Veterans uniforms. Below is a link to my collection of UCV uniforms, if you will scroll down you will most of the types and can get an idea of the button count on the different ones. I don't know of any patterns or repops of them out there.

I would suggest contacting Wambaugh, White, and Company, they are renowned for their work and according to their website are willing to take on custom work like this.

I would highly recommend you contact them.

Wambaugh, White, and Company is a great suggestion. Every one I know who have dealt with then were pleased with the results.
I've heard of them but didn't think of them immediately after coming up with this idea.

I'll let y'all see how it looks when it's finished!

Congrats on the coat, though that shade of gray and pattern is off historically....

For buttons check out the Button Baron, (just goggle them), they have reproductions of UCV buttons that should go great on your coat. Get a Stetson, (or copy) with an appropriate pair of trousers and your good to go.
The coat is actually lighter than this.

I was curious about the trousers for this type of coat.

What would be correct for this?

I just wanted to share the final recreated coat. Please keep in mind though that my camera makes it appear darker than it actually is in person.

I also got a repro Southern Cross Of Honor medal and put that on it.

20230422_143641.jpg

This coat will eventually go on a mannequin and will be displayed as part of my public display of artifacts and gear.

20230422_143715.jpg

20230422_143728.jpg

Back