Uniforms United Confederate Veterans UCV Childs Coat

UCVRelics

Brevet Brigadier General
Forum Host
Gold Patron
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Regtl. Quartermaster Stones River / Franklin 2022
One of the reasons that I go to the CW shows as I get to see a lot of friends and folks who have the same collecting interest. We are able to get together, tell lies, swap stories, compare items and get each other opinions. Well the Franklin show was no different. I have several friends who collect UCV items as I do so I got them over to discuss this coat. It is a very small jacket with UCV buttons original to the coat except the bottom one which is a yankee staff button. They have Steele & Johnson back-marks which date to the 1920. I coildn't get it on the smallest mannequin I had so I thought it was for a very small CS Vet but my friend Russ pulled out his tape and measured across the shoulders, looked at me and said "NOPE" child's coat as it was only 14 inch's across the shoulders. He said that even a small grown man would have wider shoulders than that. He said CS Vets would deck their grandson out in a uniform. Then he said that one word I love to hear RARE. So that is one of the reasons I go to shows.
DSCN2229.JPG
DSCN2230.JPG
DSCN2233.JPG
DSCN2166.JPG
DSCN2168.JPG
DSCN2170.JPG
DSCN2171.JPG
DSCN2172.JPG
DSCN2173.JPG
DSCN2176.JPG
DSCN2179.JPG
DSCN2180.JPG
DSCN2229.JPG
DSCN2230.JPG
DSCN2233.JPG

I just wish I had the jacket my dad wore one winter as a kid, But unfortunately that original wartime jacket of my GG-Grandfather's got ripped apart to patch his cloths.

I like the UCV uniforms, they are an affordable version of Confederate garments, but too many people think they are just like the wartime real uniforms, and they simply ain't. Whether its a UCV shell jacket, sack coat, or frock coat, you can be assured the patterns to them are almost always wildly different from wartime actual Confederate patterns.

UCV style sack coats like this have their patterns copied WAY to often for reenacting uniforms, and it didn't exist in the CW in my book.

EDIT: I like how this "grandad" had his grandson's coat with Lieutenant's insignia. If it a WW2 vet, I'd wonder if he had been a Sgt. :D

Back