Unit History Index Discussion Thread

OldReliable1862

First Sergeant
Massachusetts:

Short, but full histories of all Bay State units, written shortly after the war, can be found in these collections:
Massachusetts in the Rebellion, by P. C. Headley (1866)
Massachusetts in the War, 1861-1865, by J. L. Bowen (1889)

An authoritative description of the actions undertaken by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts relating to the war, can be found in the two volumes of A History of Massachusetts during the Civil War (1868), by state adjutant-general William Schouler

The eight huge volumes of Massachusetts Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines in the Civil War (1931-1935), by the Mass. Adjutant General's Office, provide a (mostly) complete roster of all units, together with a very brief unit history of each.

I had a bunch of relatives in the Pennsylvania Reserves, particularly Co. A of the 1st, the Brandywine Guards from Chester County. So anything more I could learn about them would be fantastic.

Bibliographies I created for my threads in this forum (only unit histories, minus the memoirs, diaries, etc):

Hood's Texas Brigade. Those linked in blue can be read online.

Brigade histories:
Chilton, F. B. Unveiling and Dedication of Monument to Hood's Texas Brigade
Polley, J. B. Hood's Texas Brigade: Its Marches, Its Battles, Its Achievements
Simpson, Harold B. Hood's Texas Brigade: Lee's Grenadier Guard
Simpson, Harold B. Hood's Texas Brigade: A Compendium
Simpson, Harold B. Hood's Texas Brigade in Reunion and Memory
Simpson, Harold B. Hood's Texas Brigade in Poetry and Song
Ural, Susannah J. Hood's Texas Brigade: Soldiers and Families of the Confederacy's Most Celebrated Unit
Williams, Edward B. Hood's Texas Brigade in the Civil War
Winkler, Mrs. A. V. The Confederate Capitol and Hood's Texas Brigade

Regimental histories:
Collier, Calvin L. "They'll Do to Tie To!": The Story of Hood's Arkansas Toothpicks
McAbee, Jerry C. Stubborn Men and Parched Corn: Eighteenth Georgia Volunteer Infantry Regiment
Schmutz, John F. "The Bloody Fifth": The 5th Texas Infantry Regiment, Hood's Texas Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia
Sturkey, O. Lee. Hampton Legion Infantry C.S.A.: The South Carolina Regimental-Roster Set
Todd, George T. First Texas Regiment

Company histories:
Hamilton, D. H. History of Company M, First Texas Volunteer Infantry; Hood's Brigade, Longstreet's Corps, Army of the Confederate States of America
Hanks, O. T. History of Captain B. F. Benton's company, Hood's Texas Brigade, 1861-1865 (Co. K, 1st Texas)
Moore, James Orville. The Men of the Bayou City Guards (Co. A, 5th Texas)
Parker, Eddy R., ed. Touched by Fire Letters from Company D, 5th Texas Infantry, Hood's Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia 1862-1865
Peebles, Ruth. There Never Were Such Men Before: The Civil War Soldiers and Veterans of Polk County, Texas, 1861-1865 (Co. B, 1st Texas and Co. H, 5th Texas)
Simpson, Harold B. Gaines' Mill to Appomattox: Waco & McLennan County in Hood's Texas Brigade (Co. E, 4th Texas)
Simpson, Harold B. The Marshall Guards: Harrison County's contribution to Hood's Texas Brigade (Co. E, 1st Texas)
Spencer, J. From Corsicana to Appomattox (Co. I, 4th Texas)

Cockrell's 1st Missouri Brigade

Bevier, R. S. History of the First and Second Missouri Confederate Brigades, 1861-1865. St. Louis: Bryan, Brand & Co., 1879.

Boyce, Joseph. Captain Joseph Boyce and the 1st Missouri Infantry, C.S.A., ed. William C. Winter. St. Louis: Missouri History Museum Press, 2011.

Farley, James W. Forgotten Valor: The First Missouri Cavalry Regiment C.S.A. Independence, Mo.: Two Trails, 1996

Gottschalk, Phil. In Deadly Earnest: The First Missouri Confederate Brigade. Columbia, Mo.: Missouri River Press, 1991.

McGhee, James E. Guide to Missouri Confederate Units, 1861-1865. Fayetteville: University of Arkansas Press, 2008.

Tucker, Philip Thomas. The South's Finest: The First Missouri Confederate Brigade from Pea Ridge to Vicksburg. Skippensburg, Pa.: White Mane Publishing Co., 1993.

Tucker, Philip Thomas. Westerners in Gray: The Men and Missions of the Elite Fifth Missouri Infantry Regiment. Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Co., 1995.

10th Louisiana Infantry

Brooks, Thomas W. and Jones, Michael D. Lee's Foreign Legion: A History of the 10th Louisiana Infantry. Gravenhurst, Ont.: Watts Printing, 1995.

Jones, Michael D. Confederate States Rangers of the 10th Louisiana Infantry. CreateSpace Independent Publishing, 2014.

Jones, Terry L. Lee's Tigers Revisited: The Louisiana Infantry in the Army of Northern Virginia. Baton Rouge: LSU Press, 2017.

1st South Carolina Rifles (Orr's Rifles)

The South Carolina Regimental-Roster Set: Orr's Rifles by Rosalind Todd Tedards (Wilmington, NC: Broadfoot Publishing Co., 2017).

5th South Carolina Infantry

South Carolina Volunteers in the Civil War: 5th South Carolina Volunteers (Jenkins') by Ron Field (Lower Swell, Gloucestershire, UK: Design Folio, 1997).

The South Carolinians: Colonel Asbury Coward's Memoirs edited by Natalie Jenkins Bond and Osmun Latrobe Coward (New York: Vantage Press, 1968).

The South Carolina Regimental-Roster Set: A History of the Fifth South Carolina Volunteers by Rosalind Todd Tedards (Wilmington, NC: Broadfoot Publishing Co., 2013).

The Struck Eagle: A Biography of Brigadier General Micah Jenkins, and a History of the Fifth South Carolina Volunteers and the Palmetto Sharpshooters by James J. Baldwin III (Shippensburg, PA: Burd Street Press, 1996).

2nd Texas Infantry
The Second Texas Infantry: From Shiloh to Vicksburg by Joseph E. Chance (Austin: Eakin Press, 1984).

3rd Texas Cavalry
The Third Texas Cavalry in the Civil War by Douglas Hale (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1993)

3rd Alabama Infantry
Third Alabama!: The Civil War Memoir of Brigadier General Cullen Andrews Battle, CSA by Brandon H. Beck (University of Alabama Press, 2000).

6th Arkansas Infantry
First In – Last Out, The Capitol Guards, Arkansas Brigade by Calvin L. Collier (Little Rock, AR: Pioneer Press, 1961).

9th Missouri Sharpshooter Battalion (Pindall's)
Bravest of the Brave: Pindall's Missouri Sharpshooter Battalion by Carolyn Bartels (Independence, MO: Two Trails, 2000).

"Brief History of the 9th Missouri Sharpshooter Battalion" by George W. Colvert, William L. Skaggs Collection, Arkansas History Commission, Little Rock, Arkansas.

125th Ohio Volunteer Infantry

Opdycke Tigers: 125th O.V.I.: A History of the Regiment and of the Campaigns and Battles of the Army of the Cumberland by Charles T. Clark, Captain, Co. F, 125th O.V.I. (Columbus, OH: Spahr & Glenn, 1895).

Opdycke's Tigers in the Civil War: A History of the 125th Ohio Volunteer Infantry by Thomas Crowl (Jefferson, NC: McFarland Press, 2019).

Yankee Tigers: Through the Civil War With the 125th Ohio by Ralsa C. Rice, ed. by Richard A. Baumgartner and Larry M. Strayer (Huntington W. Va.: Blue Acorn Press, 1992).

Yankee Tigers II: Civil War Correspondence from the Tiger Regiment of Ohio ed. by Richard A. Baeumgartner (Huntington W. Va.: Blue Acorn Press, 2004).

And here are some other histories I've read but of units I haven't posted threads on:

Horse Sweat and Powder Smoke: The First Texas Cavalry in the Civil War by Stanley S. McGowan

A Southern Record: The History of the Third Regiment Louisiana Infantry by W. H. Tunnard

My Brave Boys: To War With Colonel Cross and the Fighting Fifth by Mark Pride and Mark Travis (5th New Hampshire Volunteer Infantry)

A Scythe of Fire: A Civil War Story of the Eighth Georgia Infantry Regiment by Steven E. Woodworth

The 21st North Carolina Infantry: A Civil War History, with a Roster of Officers by Lee W. Sherrill Jr.

Red Clay to Richmond: Trail of the 35th Georgia Infantry Regiment, C.S.A. by John J. Fox III

Walker Texas Division, C.S.A.: Greyhounds of the Trans-Mississippi by Richard Lowe
The Campaigns of Walker's Texas Division by J. P. Blessington

The Pride of the Confederate Artillery: The Washington Artillery in the Army of Tennessee by Nathaniel C. Hughes (5th Co. Washington Arty)

And for Virginia regiments there's the famous Virginia Regimental Histories Series published by H. E. Howard Inc.

Broadfoot Publishing has a similar series for South Carolina units: the South Carolina Regimental-Roster Set.

Here are some Maryland Confederate books I have:

1. "The Rebel of '61" by Joseph R Stonebraker (1st Maryland Cavalry CSA)

2. "First and Second Maryland Cavalry" by Robert J Driver jr

3. "Personal Reminiscences of a Maryland Soldier in the War between the States 1861-1865" by George Wilson Booth

4. "The First and Second Maryland Infantry" by Robert J Driver jr

5. "The Maryland Line in the Confederate Army" by W.W. Goldsborough (Histories of all Maryland Confederate units)

6. "A Soldier's Recollections: Leaves from the Diary of a young Confederate Soldier" by Randolph H. McKim

7. "Maryland and the Confederacy" by Harry Wright Newman (Histories of Maryland Confederate units)

8. "Recollections of a Maryland Confederate Soldier and Staff Officer under Johnston, Jackson and Lee by McHenry Howard

9. "Personal Memoirs of Jonathan Thomas Scharf of the First Maryland Infantry" edited by Thomas Kelly

10. "Illustrated Souvenir of the Maryland Line Confederate Soldier's Home by George W. Booth (good info on Maryland units and soldiers)

11. "Comrades" by Edward R Rich (1st Maryland Cavalry 1st edition privately published in Easton, MD)

12. "Comrades Four" by Edward R Rich (2nd edition published by Neale)

13. "Reminiscences of Four Years as a Private Soldier in the Confederate Army 1861-1865 by John Gill (First Maryland Cavalry)

Right then, band camp just ended for me, which has allowed me to finally return my attention to the Index.
Here are some Maryland Confederate books I have:

1. "The Rebel of '61" by Joseph R Stonebraker (1st Maryland Cavalry CSA)

2. "First and Second Maryland Cavalry" by Robert J Driver jr

3. "Personal Reminiscences of a Maryland Soldier in the War between the States 1861-1865" by George Wilson Booth

4. "The First and Second Maryland Infantry" by Robert J Driver jr

5. "The Maryland Line in the Confederate Army" by W.W. Goldsborough (Histories of all Maryland Confederate units)

6. "A Soldier's Recollections: Leaves from the Diary of a young Confederate Soldier" by Randolph H. McKim

7. "Maryland and the Confederacy" by Harry Wright Newman (Histories of Maryland Confederate units)

8. "Recollections of a Maryland Confederate Soldier and Staff Officer under Johnston, Jackson and Lee by McHenry Howard

9. "Personal Memoirs of Jonathan Thomas Scharf of the First Maryland Infantry" edited by Thomas Kelly

10. "Illustrated Souvenir of the Maryland Line Confederate Soldier's Home by George W. Booth (good info on Maryland units and soldiers)

11. "Comrades" by Edward R Rich (1st Maryland Cavalry 1st edition privately published in Easton, MD)

12. "Comrades Four" by Edward R Rich (2nd edition published by Neale)

13. "Reminiscences of Four Years as a Private Soldier in the Confederate Army 1861-1865 by John Gill (First Maryland Cavalry)
Thanks MarylandLine, could you please give the specific unit for #3 and #6?

Right then, band camp just ended for me, which has allowed me to finally return my attention to the Index.

One more for Maryland:
"Three Cheers for the Chesapeake!" History of the 4th Maryland Artillery in the Civil War, by Rick Richter. Atglen, PA: Schiffer Publishing, 2017.

3 and 6 both served as soldiers and became staff officers. Maybe not true unit histories but both discussed Maryland commands in the confederate army over the course of the war.

Arkansas Regimental Books in my collection:

1. The Raving Foe: The Civil War Diary of Major James T Poe CSA and the 11th Arkansas Volunteers by James T Poe
2. Into the Mouth of the Cannon: A Historical Biography of the 18th Arkansas Infantry and the Civil War in the Western Theater form 1861 to 1863 by Robert Edward Reynolds
3. The Fighting Fifth: Pat Cleburne's Cutting Edge. The Fifth Arkansas Infantry Regiment CSA by Floyd Barnhill
4. First In - Last Out: The Capitol Guards, Arkansas Brigade in the Civil War by Calvin L Collier
5. The Camp, The Bivouac, The Battlefield (4th Arkansas) by W. L. Gammage
6. With Honor Untarnished: The Story of the First Arkansas Infantry Regiment CSA by John C Hammock
7. Ranks of Honor: A Regimental History of the Eleventh Arkansas Infantry Regiment & Poe's Cavalry Battalion CSA 1861-1865
by Anthony C Rushing
8. Arkansas Fifteenth (Gee-Johnson) Infantry 1861-1865 by Bobby N Downs
9. Reminiscences of Company H First Arkansas Mounted Rifles by Dacus Roberts
10. The Civil War Memoir of Philip Daingerfield Stephenson: Private Company K 13th Arkansas Volunteer Infantry
by Philip Daingerfield Stephenson
11. Reminiscences of a Private: William E Bevens of the First Arkansas Infantry CSA by William E Bevens
12.The War Child's Children: The Story of the Third Regiment Arkansas Cavalry CSA by Calvin L Collier

Alabama Regimental Histories I own:

1. Men of the 45th Alabama Infantry Regiment CSA by Robert C Horn
2. The Devil's Den: A History of the 44th Alabama Infantry Regiment CSA 1862-1865 by Charles E Boyd
3. Historical Sketches of the Forty-Seventh Alabama Infantry Regiment CSA by Joseph Q Burton
4. History of the 48th Alabama Volunteer Infantry Regiment CSA by John Dykes Taylor
5. The Forgotten Regiment: A Day by Day Account of the 55th Alabama Infantry Regiment CSA by Rex Miller
6. Wheeler's Favorites: 51st Alabama Cavalry by Rex Miller
7. A History of the Sixtieth Alabama Regiment: Gracie's Alabama Brigade by Lewellyn Adolphus Shaver
8. Welcome the Hour of Conflict: William Cowan McClellan and the 9th Alabama by William Cowan McClellan
9. 41st Alabama Infantry Regiment CSA: A Narrative History of a Civil War Regiment from West Central Alabama by William R Morales
10.Voices From Comapny D: Diaries by the Greensboro Guards Fifth Alabama Infantry Regiment Army of Northern Virginia
by G Ward Hubbs
11. Tattered Volunteers: The Twenty Seventh Alabama Infantry Regiment CSA by Harry Vollie Barnard
12. War Reminiscences of William F Fulton 5th Alabama Battalion Archer's Brigade A.P. Hill's Light Division by William F Fulton
13. The 11th Alabama Volunteer Regiment in the Civil War by Ronald C Griffin
14. Johnny Reb Confederate Spy, Memories of Thrilling Events of the Civil War: Memoirs of Ward McDonald Captain CSA 4th Alabama Cavalry by Ward McDonald
15. History of the First Regiment Alabama Volunteer Infantry CSA by Edward Young McMorries
16. Third Alabama: The Civil War Memoir of Brigadier General Cullen Andrews Battle CSA by Cullen A Battle
17. Gracie's Alabama Volunteers:The History of the Fifty Ninth Alabama Volunteer Regiment by John Burton
18. Company K or First Alabama Regiment or Three Years in the Confederate Service by Daniel P Smith
19. Oh What a Lonesome Time I Had: The Civil War Letters of Major William Morel Moxley Eighteenth Alabama Infantry by Emily Moxley
20. An Uncompromising Secessionist: The Civil War of George Know Miller Eighth (Wade's) Confederate Cavalry by George Knox Miller (This was a Cavalry Unit made up of Mississipians and Alabamians)
21.From That Terrible Field: The Letters of James M Williams 21st Alabama Volunteer Infantry by James M Williams
22. Southerners at War: Th 38th Alabama Infantry Volunteers by Arthur E Green
23. This War So Horrible: The Civil War Diary of Hiram Smith Williams by Lewis N Wynne
24. From Huntsville to Appomattox: R.T. Cole's History of the 4th Regiment Alabama Volunteer Infantry CSA by R.T. Cole

Union Maryland Unit Histories:

1. Colored Volunteers of Maryland, Bounty Records of 9th Regiment United States Colored Troops 1861-1866 by Agnes Kallum
2. Memoirs and History of Captain F.W. Alexander's Baltimore Battery of Light Artillery U.S.V. by Frederick Wild
3. My Three Years in the Volunteer Army of the United States of America (4th Maryland Infantry) by Edward Schilling
4. Hero at Front Royal: The Life of General John R. Kenly (1st Maryland) by Daniel C Toomey
5. History and Roster of Maryland Volunteers War of 1861-1865 (Lists all Units who served the Union and Roster of soldiers)
by L. Allison Wilmer
6. Colored Volunteers of Maryland, Civil War 7th Regiment United States Colored Troops 1863-1866 by Agnes Kallum
7. Historical Record of the First Regiment Maryland Infantry by Charles Camper
8. Marylanders in Blue: The Artillery and the Cavalry by Daniel C Toomey
9. Men of Color to Arms: Manumitted Slaves and Free Blacks from the Lower Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake by Dr Clara L Small
10. Recollections of a Veteran or Four Years in Dixie (5th Maryland) by J Polk Racine
11. Cole's Cavalry or Three Years in the Shenandoah Valley (1st Maryland Cavalry)
12. Answering the Call:The Organization and Recruiting of the Potomac Home Brigade Maryland Volunteers by Keith Gary

Back