GA Unionist Political Prisoner and Union POW Burials in Madison, GA

slowe210

Cadet
My 4th Great Uncle (Edward Lyle Tate) and his son (Edward O. Tate) were civilians, but were rounded up from their Grainger County, TN home in early 1862 and sent to the "Madison Military Prison" which was also called the "Cotton Mill Prison", in Madison, GA. They were among over 400 "Political Prisoners" deemed such by the Confederate government due to their Unionist sympathies that arrived on 24 April 1862. Many more arrived later. They were held without charges or trial, but most were released within a few months if they would swear allegiance to the Confederacy. Edward O. Tate did so, and was released on 15 May 1862 (he later made his way to Kentucky and became a Union cavalryman). Unfortunately, Edward Lyle Tate died at the prison on 18 May 1862. The attached roster lists the political and military prisoners, and later the deaths; and I find it a bit interesting.
My quest is to see if I can find his burial spot, which is presumably in Madison. Is anyone aware of where any prison burials would have taken place in Madison and whether the prisoner graves were marked in any way? I know this is an almost forgotten part of the civil war, but these political prisoners (and later some regular Union POWs) that died at that prison deserve some recognition, in my opinion.

Attachments

• harg0455-001-001.pdf
    7.8 MB · Views: 35
Back