What Union uniform, if any would my ancestor be issued?

mckhudtommcs

Cadet
When my ancestor, Private Gideon Wright, joined the Union’s 13th Calvary unit in Union City, TN in 1863, would he have been issued a uniform this late in the war or did he just fight in the clothes he was wearing when he joined? If uniform, what would it have consisted of? Would he have brought a horse with him?

When my ancestor, Private Gideon Wright, joined the Union’s 13th Calvary unit in Union City, TN in 1863, would he have been issued a uniform this late in the war or did he just fight in the clothes he was wearing when he joined? If uniform, what would it have consisted of? Would he have brought a horse with him?

it is not clear to me what you mean by the "Union’s 13th Calvary unit in Union City, TN in 1863". I am assuming that you mean the 13th Tennessee Cavalry Regiment (Union) which was also know as the 12th Tennessee Cavalry Regiment (Union). If so, then the best place to start with American Military Equipage 1851-1872 by Frederick P. Todd'. Todd state that Union cavalry regiments were issued uniform by the Federal government. So I am assuming the wore standard Fedrala uniforms.

Vote Here:
I recommend Myers Brown's Tennessee Union Cavalrymen (Images of America: Tennessee).
&
The Dreaded 13th Tennessee Union Cavalry: Marauding Mountain Men by Melanie Storie

Cavalryman with VV stripes on sleeves  LOC .jpg

US Cavalry Uniform. Library of Congress
This image has the sleeve stripe indicating that he is a Veteran Volunteer who reinlisted.
The top button of his shell jacket is buttoned up because that was regulation.
The top button of the outer garment was supposed to be attached.

Had he been enlisted in a Confederate cavalry unit, he would have been required to bring his own horse with him. The Union cavalry issued horses & remounts.

book cover.jpeg

I couldn't find the source of this image, however, he is wearing the uniform worn by members of the 13th.

Last edited:
Vote Here:
Depending on the time frame he would have either been issued a Cavalry Shell jacket & mounted service trousers, boots and cap. Infantry Sack Coat, Infantry trousers, brogans and cap or any combination of the above as well as a standard issue undershirt. Ideally he would have received the first selection but the reality was that things didn't always go by regs. He would not have worn his civilian clothing for more than a couple days upon enlistment that late into the war. He would have been required to provide his own drawers and braces (suspenders) as well as socks.

Vote Here:
Back