Union soldiers having a mock sword fight

frontrank2

Captain
Forum Host
I'm not sure if this image has been posted before ( I couldn't find it ) but it shows life in a Union camp. Some of the boys are gathered round to pose for the camera. A mock fencing duel between two contestants is the focus of the attention while their comrades look on. I notice that they are wearing dark blue trousers as opposed to the more common sky blue ones. The combatant on the right seems to be wearing an infantryman's set of leathers and holding a Colt revolver, while the one on the left has what looks like ( to me anyways :smile: ) an officers sword belt and a pepperbox pistol. Lots of detail in this pic.

sabers.jpg

Shall we notice the kid in uniform ...a drummer boy, officer's attendant or a camp follower mascot?

(I dare say that if this were a Confederate camp scene he would without question be claimed as a "black Confederate" soldier by some, at the same time for this scene, if anyone claimed him a "black Union" soldier it would be roundly protested).

Last edited:
Looks like the photographer came to camp with some props. DC area? The middle guy (standing) has a very Native American look about him. The "duel fighters" could be brothers.

Shall we notice the kid in uniform ...a drummer boy, officer's attendant or a camp follower mascot?

(I dare say that if this were a Confederate camp scene he would without question be claimed as a "black Confederate" soldier by some, at the same for this scene if anyone claimed him a "black Union" soldier it would be roundly protested).
Probably the camp go-fer. My uncle who fought with the 6th Wisc. brought along his 13 yr. old son who according to research, the kid acted as a waiter, messenger, fire tender, etc. By 1865, they allowed him to shoulder a musket and join the ranks!

I'm not sure if this image has been posted before ( I couldn't find it ) but it shows life in a Union camp. Some of the boys are gathered round to pose for the camera. A mock fencing duel between two contestants is the focus of the attention while their comrades look on. I notice that they are wearing dark blue trousers as opposed to the more common sky blue ones. The combatant on the right seems to be wearing an infantryman's set of leathers and holding a Colt revolver, while the one on the left has what looks like ( to me anyways :smile: ) an officers sword belt and a pepperbox pistol. Lots of detail in this pic.

View attachment 314535
My money is on the guy with the Colt revolver, he looks like he means business.

My money is on the guy with the Colt revolver, he looks like he means business.

Well, they've both got handguns. I'm going with the guy on the left because, looking at the attempted block by the guy on the right I'd say he's going to get stabbed; should have been a block and deflection to his left to be effective. Of course, either could have been the fastest gun in the east but then why bring a knife to a gun fight (as we often say over here).

These men are from the 4th Michigan Infantry. Seated in the center is 1st Lieutenant Marshall W. Chapin from Company I. His service record: Chapin, Marshall W., Detroit. Entered service in Company I, Fourth Infantry, at organization, as First Lieutenant, June 20, 1861, for 3 years, age 30. Farmer by trade. Married with three children ages: 8, 3, and 1. Married to M. J. Vreeland of the 4th sister. Commissioned to date May 16, 1861. Mustered June 20, 1861. Commissioned Captain, Company F, January 15, 1862. Resigned September 1, 1862. Re-entered service in Twenty-third Infantry at organization as Colonel. Commissioned August 23, 1862. Mustered September 13, 1862. Commanding Thirty-eight Brigade, Tenth Division, Twenty-third Army Corps, from July, 1863, to January, 1864. Resigned and honorably discharged on account of disability April 15, 1864. Suffered from rheumatism and dysentery. Died in Salt Lake City, Utah, April 13, 1876. Buried in Salt Lake City Cemetery.

marshalw-chapin4thmichinfc_gs.jpg

(I dare say that if this were a Confederate camp scene he would without question be claimed as a "black Confederate" soldier by some, at the same for this scene if anyone claimed him a "black Union" soldier it would be roundly protested).

I'm smitten by the look on his face. " And I'm the kid ". Priceless.

Those massive ' bow ties ' are all the heck all over the place, for some reason especially early in the war. I hadn't discovered one in an image of a Union soldier, there are quite wonderful, almost elaborate ' ties ' as part of some Confederate, home-made uniforms. Not an expert, guessing they stood in for cravats and other neck wear?

These men are from the 4th Michigan Infantry. Seated in the center is 1st Lieutenant Marshall W. Chapin from Company I. His service record: Chapin, Marshall W., Detroit. Entered service in Company I, Fourth Infantry, at organization, as First Lieutenant, June 20, 1861, for 3 years, age 30. Farmer by trade. Married with three children ages: 8, 3, and 1. Married to M. J. Vreeland of the 4th sister. Commissioned to date May 16, 1861. Mustered June 20, 1861. Commissioned Captain, Company F, January 15, 1862. Resigned September 1, 1862. Re-entered service in Twenty-third Infantry at organization as Colonel. Commissioned August 23, 1862. Mustered September 13, 1862. Commanding Thirty-eight Brigade, Tenth Division, Twenty-third Army Corps, from July, 1863, to January, 1864. Resigned and honorably discharged on account of disability April 15, 1864. Suffered from rheumatism and dysentery. Died in Salt Lake City, Utah, April 13, 1876. Buried in Salt Lake City Cemetery.

View attachment 314700

Thank you! It's always amazing to see these tracked down.

A fun picture indeed. I did wonder about the young boy. I wonder what his story was?

Probably the camp go-fer. My uncle who fought with the 6th Wisc. brought along his 13 yr. old son who according to research, the kid acted as a waiter, messenger, fire tender, etc. By 1865, they allowed him to shoulder a musket and join the ranks!

Of course this boy is not related to any of these soldiers.

Back