Union Refreshment Saloon And Hospital, Philadelphia

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
union philly new.JPG

" Union Refreshment Saloon ", Washington Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, during the Civil War, taken from a photograph found in New York Public Library's digital collection.

There are several images, both photographic and drawn by era artists for newspapers of the Union Refreshment Saloon, Philadelphia. This, inclusive of a small cannon and crowd decorating a Washington Street scene call to mind the famous Wanamaker's eagle erected decades later in the same city.

"In South Philadelphia, at the corner of Washington Avenue and Swanson Street, a

neighborhood grocer named Barzilai Brown began distributing food to soldiers traveling

to and from the nearby Navy Yard and railroads. This operation, originally referred to as

“Brown’s,” became the Union Volunteer Refreshment Saloon on May 27, 1861. Samuel

B. Fales was the Corresponding Secretary of the saloon. "

http://hsp.org/sites/default/files/legacy_files/migrated/findingaid1580fales.pdf

It's ' Volunteer Hospital ' although always termed ' refreshment saloon ' in photographs.

Ever since New York Public Library gifted us with their release to the public of digitized images inclusive of those drawn and photographed throughout the Civil War it has been like Christmas 12 months of the year.

" The establishment grew and became a place of rest, relaxation, and, of course,

refreshment for travel-weary soldiers, whom the saloon provided with food, drink,

paper, and stamps. Troops stopping at the saloon were also given travel directions,

names of army officials and contacts, and places of local interest. In September 1861 a

hospital was added to better accommodate sick and wounded soldiers. "

Last edited:
Wonderful photos. Just love that large eagle on top of the building.

Funny what you notice- Donna, how nervous would you be standing on the balcony with artillery pointing your way? What is the rule on never pointing a gun at anyone.......? Ha! Should extend that to cannon. Yes, I understand the process an entire gun crew undertook before one fired BUT- still would not be in love with a gun pointed at a building. If I were in the place especially, maybe with wounded. :bomb:

….how nervous would you be standing on the balcony with artillery pointing your way? What is the rule on never pointing a gun at anyone.......? …would not be in love with a gun pointed at a building. If I were in the place especially, maybe with wounded. :bomb:

First thing I thought of, too…..2nd thing I thought of was 'F-Troop'….(with a bang and a boom…)

First thing I thought of, too…..2nd thing I thought of was 'F-Troop'….(with a bang and a boom…)

Had forgotten ' F Troop '! Tim Conway- still one of those people, all you have to do is look at the guy, better hold on to something because once he starts talking everyone in the room is going to fall over laughing and take you down with them.

The Philadelphia Refreshment Saloon, often referred to as "the Old Cooper's Shop," was legendary with the New England troops. Again and again you read in memoirs and regimental histories of the warm welcome and good food generously offered by the City of Brotherly Love to soldiers passing through. Most of the New England men en route to the scene of war went through there, and their praises are enthusiastic, particularly when compared to their experience at the similar facilities set up in New York (often described with such terms as, "dirty," "mean," and "nasty food" -- at least early in the war. The NE states eventually got together and opened their own "New England Rooms" in NYC, to refresh their own men, and any others who showed up.)

The 10th Vermont Infantry passed through Philly early in September, 1862:

“It was midnight when we reached Camden, opposite the city, yet the signal gun announced our arrival, and by the time we were ferried across the river the streets were filled with men, women and children, hastening to welcome us, and give us the cheer of their warm hearts and bounteous hands. The ‘Soldiers’ Home,’ or ‘Old Cooper Shop,’ so well known to every soldier, sick or well, who passed through the Quaker City during the years of the Rebellion, was lighted up, an acre of tables were groaning beneath the weight of of provisions of all wholesome varieties, which were just suited to the wants of rugged, healthy men, besides an abundance of tea and coffee, steaming hot. To all this we were freely invited, and it need not be said the hospitality was most gratefully accepted. This place, we learned, was furnished and supplied constantly with this kind of entertainment for soldiers passing to and from the army, by the ladies and citizens of Philadelphia. Their munificence was wonderful. Few people have any idea how much food a thousand men will consume at one meal, yet we were all abundantly supplied, and there was enough left for as many more; besides, we were told that ours was the twenty-eighth regiment that had partaken of this hospitality within one week.” (A History of the Tenth Rgt., Vermont Volunteers, by the Chaplain, 1894, p. 102)

Journal Divided has a fine essay on "Refreshment Saloons in Philadelphia."

ETA: reading further, the Union Volunteer Saloon is not the same establishment as the Cooper Shop. The above essay says that the two were in "amicable competition." But, I'm sure the above description could apply equally well to either. James Moore published a History of the Cooper Shop in 1866.
cooper.jpg

Last edited:
No way! You know, this is an aspect of the war which seems to be a little overlooked? Hate to say ' like our nurses ' because yes, there is a fair amount on them- but not really, not if you read the archived books. In the same way current ' nurse ' information doesn't contain the non-glamorous information Aunt Becky Palmer had to make her own dresses from mattress ticking, no one really has a clue the kind of effort that went into moving hungry, footsore, probably badly battle shocked troops from place to place. In our histories they all just kind of appear at various battles- maybe we see they've gone home on leave once in awhile.

Here we have a place which fed 1,000 men- for the 28th time in a week. ( no offense moderators, wish there were a color we could use indicating HOLY cow, too! :angel: Orange just looks like we left yellow in the attic for awhile. ) This soldier station has to have been a massive, massive undertaking- you can't calculate the number of volunteers needed or amount of goods and money going into it. That translates into an on-going dedication, daily, at a somewhat feverish pitch by Philadelphia citizens. Think about it! To maintain that. BUT all these years later we barely know of Cooper- and only understand there was the Union ' refreshment ' station and hospital because there are photographs.

Now this has come up there may be photographs- listed as something similar. You know how it used to be possible on LoC to sign up and add descriptions yourself? Or was that National Archives? I think this is there under an incomplete description and name. Tell you what- wouldn't it be very, very cool to be able to add links, like to your page, where a soldier is describing being there? I just clipped it to add myself, in case I find it again- thanks very much Jno!!

I thought it typical that on the Cooper's Shop lithograph I show in post #8, gathered in front are all the men who made the Refreshment Saloon possible, principally by financial and material contributions (I'm sure their faces were all clearly identifiable). Yet the published History of the Cooper Shop, also names and credits all the principal women who originated the idea of welcoming and "refreshing" the soldiers passing through, and who did much of the actual work involved.

That 200+ page book also lists, with dates, every unit that was served, and the number of men fed (from "squad, 51st New York, 8 men," up to "16th Mass., Col Wyman, 1050 men"). So, the "28 regiments in one week" were probably not 28 of a full 1000-men each, but "men from 28 different regiments" (they seem to run typically from 300 to 800 men at a time). They also listed many like "Brooklyn Rifles, 8th New York, Col. Dodge, 750 men, 400 fed." Still, it was a lot of guys!

Many cities across the country had similar refreshment stations, particularly those with railroad connections where passing men might leave the train temporarily. The majority served mostly local units, or those from neighboring communities. Philadelphia's were the most famous, and probably the largest, but they all did their part.

I also note for some months, for instance, Dec. 1961: "Aggregate 7,732; fed 4,289. Those not fed at the Cooper Shop, were fed at the Union Saloon."

Some interesting excerpts: "Deserters from Virginia and North Carolina, seven in number, paid the Saloon a visit and rejoiced at being so well fed, as they were not much used to a good meal." "Recruits, paroled prisoners, deserters, detachments, convalescents, and such like were fed at the Refreshment Saloon." "165 laborers from New York, for Aquia Creek, were fed, and eighty recruits the day before." "175 rebel prisoners, who took the oathof allegiance and enlisted in the U. S. Navy, John D. Hart commanding," Somebody was keeping very detailed records, though there are periods less-well detailed. "Deserters from New York regiments, with provost guard, 22 men fed."

August 1865:
cooperend.png

Last edited:
BUT all these years later we barely know of Cooper- and only understand there was the Union ' refreshment ' station and hospital because there are photographs.
That's a curious thing. There seem to be quite a few photographs of the Union Saloon, but very few written descriptions. I've found only one small, not very detailed photo of the Cooper Shop, but huge amounts of written description. There are several Cooper Shop prints & sketches, though.

Really must look around LoC and National Archives. It just makes no sense that this massive undertaking had not, one photographer stop by. The more you think of it, the more mind bogglingly huge it was- how many volunteers knocked themselves out there throughout the war? How many lives did they touch doing so?

This kind of thing gets to me. We still have it. Heard only one 10th of the world's gold has been discovered. That leaves 90% under the surface, unexpected discoveries. ' Eureka! ', but it was there all this time. We've just seen it in 2016. Our country stopped to collect the shattered hearts of those who lost dear ones. Again. We always, always do that. It's our gold. Between 1861 and 1865 when need was great, great discoveries in human spirit- and whatever it is which evolved as uniquely American spirit, kind of showered the country. Crazy, impossible things- feeding 1,000 men several times a week for instance. That would have been one.

I have a vague recollection that there was serviceman's coffee shop in Times Square (in NYC) for many years, where any man in uniform could stop in for free refreshment. Was that only open during the Vietnam war era?

I have a vague recollection that there was serviceman's coffee shop in Times Square (in NYC) for many years, where any man in uniform could stop in for free refreshment. Was that only open during the Vietnam war era?

Answering my own question, the USO has maintained an aid station in the Times Square area from the 1940s to the present day (now at the Port Authority bus terminal over on the West Side). At various times, the USO had a coffee shop where soldiers/sailors could get free coffee and snacks. It was never intended to be a place to serve meals, but the USO personnel always stand ready to give aid and comfort to any military persons in need of a hot meal and a place to rest.

Library of Congress offers us this, a peek inside.
union philly1.jpg

" The establishment grew and became a place of rest, relaxation, and, of course,

refreshment for travel-weary soldiers, whom the saloon provided with food, drink,

paper, and stamps. Troops stopping at the saloon were also given travel directions,

names of army officials and contacts, and places of local interest. In September 1861 a

hospital was added to better accommodate sick and wounded soldiers. "
http://hsp.org/sites/default/files/legacy_files/migrated/findingpdfaid1580fales.

union philly dbl.JPG

The stereoview from which the original photo, post # was taken.

union philly nypl download.jpg

Staff off to the right, love these.

I'm not clear on what this is- a pass or an invitation or proof of having volunteered?
union philly st.jpg

We've seen this, The Sanitary Commission's oasis for soldiers. While I'm here I'd like to say I keep bumping into this image WATERMARKED, on the internet. Enough. Came across quite a few plus more and more appear daily on Ebay. It's ludicrous. Legitimate photographers and artists have watermarks, family may benefit from works done by family. Unrestricted photographs sold as private property? No.

union philly salon nypl.JPG

Just a cropped version- it's such a fabulous photograph, you can't help attempting to see details as well as possible.

So much Civil War history passed beneath the eagle at the bottom of Washington Street- thank you Barzilai Brown. Who knows what lay behind these old relics- the faces and curled siding, swept-dirt walkway and incongruous, ornate balcony. But it is our History.

Please, no one buy this image- it's right where it belongs. NYPL. That is New York Public Library, Digital Collections. They have diligently ensured we may access these marvelous old things- with no restrictions.

-------------------
I don't know Bruce, but this reminds me of the USO areas in the major airports (& some smaller ones) where a lonely serviceman could sit & have a cup of coffee or a Coca Cola & a doughnut or piece of pie & wait for a flight back home or a flight that would eventually end up in Vietnam. Lonely but not alone & the kind of people who smiled & asked where you were from or where you wereheaded & made, at least to me, feel a little less lonely. A great oasis in an endless desert.

-------------------
I don't know Bruce, but this reminds me of the USO areas in the major airports (& some smaller ones) where a lonely serviceman could sit & have a cup of coffee or a Coca Cola & a doughnut or piece of pie & wait for a flight back home or a flight that would eventually end up in Vietnam. Lonely but not alone & the kind of people who smiled & asked where you were from or where you wereheaded & made, at least to me, feel a little less lonely. A great oasis in an endless desert.

Makes me hope the people who ran these places would read that and know they made a difference.

As per usual....the photos are way beyond cool!!! I really dig that eagle :smile:

We're so lucky, right? It's amazing what's in Library of Congress, NYPL and National Archives- all these generous public places our history is preserved so carefully. A LOT of places are very picky about photo usage- and fair enough although it's a losing battle these days. ' Scruples ' and ' Internet ' seem to be laughably distant by lightyears. Some places only ask you source them, like the super nice people at Gettysburg College.

That eagle is very cool, had to show my mother. Wonder how many people are still around from her day who remember the eagle, exactly like this one, at Philly Wanamaker's? It was hugely iconic- with no apparent reason for being there. Point being, makes me wonder if there's a connection? ( I see you're Montana, East Coast trivia is probably a big yawn! )

Back