Union Policy of Selling Muskets To Soldiers

Freddy

2nd Lieutenant
When my great grandfather mustered out in 1865 he was given all his equipment, but he paid $6.00 for his Model 1861 Springfield.

Was this a general Union policy? If so, it would appear the US government was supporting an individual's right to keep and bear arms by selling civilians muskets.

June 13th.
...Came upon General Burnside on the street and cheered him most lustily. At 10 a.m. left for Readville. On our arrival were paid off, received our discharge papers, and allowed to take our muskets on payment of six dollars and all other equipments gratis. By nearly noon all the military red tape was cut, a team was procured and we West Dedhamites, were en route for home early p.m....

www.civilwardiary.net/diary1865.htm

I remember reading somewhere that the Doughboys coming home from France were allowed to purchase their rifles. Unless my memory has failed me...

And wasn't the National Rifle Association originally intended to get surplus into the hands of civilians in the hopes that a shooting capable populace could be developed.?

When my great grandfather mustered out in 1865 he was given all his equipment, but he paid $6.00 for his Model 1861 Springfield.

Was this a general Union policy? If so, it would appear the US government was supporting an individual's right to keep and bear arms by selling civilians muskets.

June 13th.
...Came upon General Burnside on the street and cheered him most lustily. At 10 a.m. left for Readville. On our arrival were paid off, received our discharge papers, and allowed to take our muskets on payment of six dollars and all other equipments gratis. By nearly noon all the military red tape was cut, a team was procured and we West Dedhamites, were en route for home early p.m....

www.civilwardiary.net/diary1865.htm

Our boys 'borrowed' them new Spencers from the yanks, and left our muskets behind. Not much of a gun by comparison. I'd pay more than $6 for a Springfield now (surprise). GG grandpa 10th TN US Cav was fined $25 for losing his revolver. He was a farrier and didn't shoot much. He was hell with a pair of nail pullers, though.

I've read about several soldiers who were permitted to take their equipment home - for a price. I think it was $10 for the musket and the accoutrements.

Those would be muskets issued to the soljer by Uncle Sam. Cornfed guns became property of Uncle Sam after the surrender.

Back