Union Navy battles a Japanese fleet during the Civil War.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
On July16 1863 the USS Wyoming fought the U.S. built Choshu clan fleet at the Battle of the Straits of Shimonoseki. It was one U.S. screw sloop against the U.S. built 10 gun brig Kosie (ex Lanrick), a 6 gun barque (ex Daniel Webster), the 4 gun steamer Koshin (ex Lancfield), and 4 shore batteries with mostly 32 pounders and some 12 pounders. Many of Lord Mori's cannons were old but he did have 5 8 inch Dahlgren guns. The Wyoming's 2 11 inch Dahlgren guns, 1 60 pound Parrott rifle, and 3 32 pound guns did good work that day. Although the Wyoming suffered considerable damage she was able to sink the brig Kosei, and the steamer Koshin, and damage the barque.

The Wyoming was hit a few times by the 8 inch Dahlgren guns which caused a fair amount of damage and kill a few men.

On July16 1863 the USS Wyoming fought the U.S. built Choshu clan fleet at the Battle of the Straits of Shimonoseki. It was one U.S. screw sloop against the U.S. built 10 gun brig Kosie (ex Lanrick), a 6 gun barque (ex Daniel Webster), the 4 gun steamer Koshin (ex Lancfield), and 4 shore batteries with mostly 32 pounders and some 12 pounders. Many of Lord Mori's cannons were old but he did have 5 8 inch Dahlgren guns. The Wyoming's 2 11 inch Dahlgren guns, 1 60 pound Parrott rifle, and 3 32 pound guns did good work that day. Although the Wyoming suffered considerable damage she was able to sink the brig Kosei, and the steamer Koshin, and damage the barque.
Did not know we sent Rising Sun ships to Davey Jones Locker prior to WWII.

That is an older thread. Nine years ago and sadly no one answered it. This old post also had images.

I try to pick threads that have few replies. If I find a thread that has 500 replies I feel like I'm too late to get involved. There is so much good history on this forum! I can't understand why they allow a man like me to even post. I must be my dashing good looks.....no?

Back