Union Kepi Insignia/ Authentic?

I recently acquired this kepi insignia, 69th Irish Brigade. I've been seeing various Irish Brigade insignia over a number of years, this one struck me as being "rare", only, because I had not seen it before......Can anyone interested, offer an opinion as to authenticity? I have seen period pieces offered as "old Bannerman stock".........Please view photos, the insignia is in pristine condition, lending to the notion of being"new old stock", Bannerman OR other manufacturer. Thanks for any advice offered.

KIMG0049.JPG

KIMG0050.JPG

KIMG0051.JPG

KIMG0052.JPG

KIMG0053.JPG

I recently acquired this kepi insignia, 69th Irish Brigade. I've been seeing various Irish Brigade insignia over a number of years, this one struck me as being "rare", only, because I had not seen it before......Can anyone interested, offer an opinion as to authenticity? I have seen period pieces offered as "old Bannerman stock".........Please view photos, the insignia is in pristine condition, lending to the notion of being"new old stock", Bannerman OR other manufacturer. Thanks for any advice offered.

View attachment 392892

View attachment 392894

View attachment 392896

View attachment 392897

View attachment 392898
Nope and I can almost guarantee that you bought it off EBay, if so, that seller used to be good, but has learned that he can make a ton selling fake soldered, misattributed and just plain ****. I used to do a lot of business with him before he went to the dark side. He recently sold a beautiful US puppy paw buckle that he fired a bullet into, for over $700. The individual who sold it to him saw what he had done, called him on it, but EBay won't do anything.

There is a separate post about that buckle on here somewhere.

View attachment 392892

View attachment 392894

View attachment 392896

View attachment 392897

View attachment 392898
Welcome to CWT from Soldiers Who Fought In Horseback: Cavalry forum.
Sorry your purchase and hopes were disappointing.
Thank you for your service to America.
BTW here’s a photo of the Irish Brigade’s marker at Fredericksburg

41BBD058-BFB5-424D-AD8A-4687A93334E8.jpeg

Welcome to CWT from Soldiers Who Fought In Horseback: Cavalry forum.
Sorry your purchase and hopes were disappointing.
Thank you for your service to America.
BTW here’s a photo of the Irish Brigade’s marker at Fredericksburg

View attachment 392951
Thanks for the posting of the 69th Irish Brigade marker at the Fredericksburg site. It is good to see that citizens take time to honor their sacrifices. BILL

Nope and I can almost guarantee that you bought it off EBay, if so, that seller used to be good, but has learned that he can make a ton selling fake soldered, misattributed and just plain ****. I used to do a lot of business with him before he went to the dark side. He recently sold a beautiful US puppy paw buckle that he fired a bullet into, for over $700. The individual who sold it to him saw what he had done, called him on it, but EBay won't do anything.

There is a separate post about that buckle on here somewhere.

I'm Liking eBay Less and Less, I appreciate you taking the time to lend an opinion...Duly noted! BILL

Hello @Firecarpenter and welcome to CivilWarTalk, the best place on the internet for Civil War discussion. I too am sorry that the insignia is not authentic. Here's another picture for you of the Irish Brigade marker at the pontoon crossing site at Fredericksburg.
1614739675460.png

Ebay is certainly not a good place for shopping by the novice collector, as in my opinion the majority of the items are fake or of later vintage than advertised. But there are some good items and good sellers, and if you have the experience, reference books, and patience, you can get some good items. But if you are a beginner, get the advice of an experienced collector before making a purchase. Don't believe item descriptions or feedback.

Hello @Firecarpenter and welcome to CivilWarTalk, the best place on the internet for Civil War discussion. I too am sorry that the insignia is not authentic. Here's another picture for you of the Irish Brigade marker at the pontoon crossing site at Fredericksburg.
View attachment 392969
Ebay is certainly not a good place for shopping by the novice collector, as in my opinion the majority of the items are fake or of later vintage than advertised. But there are some good items and good sellers, and if you have the experience, reference books, and patience, you can get some good items. But if you are a beginner, get the advice of an experienced collector before making a purchase. Don't believe item descriptions or feedback.
Great advice. My friend paid $175 for a rocking chair his mother in law wanted. He got a very nice photo of the covenant rocker.

Better luck next time Marine, all of us that have been in the collecting business for any length of time have been snookered at least once (whether we like to admit it or not) and after the sting wears off, you are a better person for the experience. Semper Fi.

Better luck next time Marine, all of us that have been in the collecting business for any length of time have been snookered at least once (whether we like to admit it or not) and after the sting wears off, you are a better person for the experience. Semper Fi.
Good and correct advice. I ve been snookered big time and been doing this a long time. I am smarted over time but keep in mind there’s always someone smarter.

Good and correct advice. I ve been snookered big time and been doing this a long time. I am smarted over time but keep in mind there’s always someone smarter.
I keep my biggest (and most expensive) boondoggle close by my checkbook as a reminder to look before I leap.

"Buy the item, not the story" was the best advice I got after being burned collecting (not that long ago). I got burned twice on Ebay,,both times by dealers, one touting "50+ years as a civil war collector and dealer",, who goes by the name of a famous general,,,he sold me an item that was so fake it was embarrassing once I actually had it in my hands,,,2nd one challenged his "expertise up against any appraiser in the country" ,, yet he called ME the fraud when I realized he sold me a crusher ball,, not a canister shot,,, and I sent him this video I wish I had seen before I purchased from him

I don´t collect, but I´ve spent a lifetime looking at Civil War stuff. I have a rule of thumb: if I´ve never seen one before, it´s either incredibly rare, unique and unused (which is to say virtually unassociated with the actual Civil War) or a fake. Another rule I use is if it´s associated with a famous individual (or who became famous after the war) or a famous unit, it´s probably fake. It´s been over 150 years; I´m gonna go out on a limb here and say most of the good stuff has been purchased and documented by somebody.
On the other hand, your pin is really, really pretty. You can use it as a kilt pin or pin it to scarf or hat and not feel bad about it. My first 2 thoughts when I saw the picture was ¨Wow - I don´t think that´s authentic, but it is really pretty.¨

Back