" Union Jack ", A Dog's Publicity Tour, Harper's 1862

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
union jack 1.JPG
union jack 2.JPG

Union Jack, one, more ex-Confederate dog, in an image from an article devoted to him, in Harper's Weekly. Like hero of Castle Thunder fame, Union Jack invited himself along when Richmond prisoners came home.

union jack text 1.JPG

union jack text 2.JPG

I apologize for the length but feel any dog who made his way from Richmond to the pages of Harper's Weekly, a national magazine, deserves to be heard from in entirety. @LoyaltyOfDogs , Union Jack sounds so famous, he would have shown up on your radar years ago?

union jack text 3.JPG
union jack text 4.JPG
union jack text 5.JPG

A few of Union Jack's exploits seem to have been fertilized a tad although who can say?

union jack text 6.JPG
union jack text 7.JPG

Transpires Jack loathed rebels ( predictably ), was snooty to enlisted and could recognize an officer at 20 yards.

union jack text 8.JPG
union jack text 9.JPG

Union Jack disappears from History after this article- probably ended his days snoring in front of the fire, legs twitching, dreaming about chasing those darn rebel dogs.

Jack's uncle Morris and his boy. ( I just made that up ) We wish Jack a Boy to call his own and many happy years of peaceful dogdom.
boy dog mastiff.jpg

Thanks for posting yet another great story!
Am I the only one who has the sense that news media covered more 'human interest' stories then? Either way, they make excellent reading both in content (though often biased) and style.

It does seem so? Must have been something which ' sold ', since commerce would be the bottom line. And how cool is that, a clamor for positive stories motivating a business? You would guess during the war years ' feel good ' content was awfully welcome.

Reactions: WJC
Thanks for sharing Jack's story, @JPK Huson 1863. He was a great dog! I first encountered Jack in Michael Zucchero's terrific book, "Loyal Hearts: Histories of American Civil War Canines." It's a must-read for fans of Civil War dogs.

OH no, not another book for the list? Drat it. List grows daily hanging around CWT. It'll also be tough reading in spots, be sure. Dogs in the middle of a war tended to get killed- silly to hate reading of one 150 years after the fact but it does get to you!

Back