Union Infantry at Petersburg

MackCW

Private
Thought I'd start a thread of photos of Union Infantry during this time. There is a ton of material to choose from and modern tech allows us to see these fellows clearer than ever before. Feel free to post ones you've found. Let's try and keep photos of the dead out of this thread if we can.

This is one of my favorites. From the serious looking 10-13 year old, to the boxer on the right smiling or holding back a laugh, to the ghost on the right possibly cleaning his musket, to the uniform of the middle boxer.
1601426983908.png

For an even larger image check here: Here

Last edited by a moderator:
The boxers are good sized... big fellows.

Yeah, guessing he's over six foot, which makes it amazing why his uniform fits him so well. You can also see the difference in trousers on a smaller man (fellow with the greatcoat) compared to the boxers. Greatcoat's trousers make him look like a rapper from the early 2000's.

33503v.jpg

Another favorite photo of mine just because of the amazing difference of slouch hats, Hardee hats, facial hair. Also the tools they're holding.

On the box you can see they belong to 1st Division, 9th Corps. They are identified as Quartermaster Mechanics.

This is a more famous photo by David Knox who had pretty much attached himself to Orlando Wilcox's third division of the 9th Corps.

03895v.jpg

General Wilcox looks on (notice the ring)

General Wilcox.png

smile.png

A rare smile from this Lieutenant. Another Lieutenant advertising an issue of the Atlantic Monthly :smile:.

784314850_fullsize.jpg
Atlantic Monthly.png

Last edited:
Now for the other side.....the 9th Mississippi in camp at Pensacola, Florida.
I like that first photo, don't think I've seen that one before. An interesting mix of Federal uniforms. I always liked this one. View attachment 376608
H
I like that first photo, don't think I've seen that one before. An interesting mix of Federal uniforms. I always liked this one. View attachment 376608
Long misidentified as earthworks near Petersburg, this photograph is thought to be of New Jersey troops from the 1st Brigade of General William Brooks's division occupying captured rifle pits behind the Old Richmond Road on the Union left opposite Fredericksburg, Va. The artillery in the background is Battery D, 2nd U.S. Artillery. [National Archives]

B-768.jpg

Back