Union General Alpheus Williams comment about Col Strong's dead horse at Antietam

EJ Zander

Sergeant Major
Union Brig. Gen. Alpheus S. Williams wrote in a letter "The number of dead horses was high. They lay, like the men, in all attitudes. One beautiful milk-white animal had died in so graceful a position that I wished for its photograph. Its legs were doubled under and its arched neck gracefully turned to one side, as if looking back to the ball-hole in its side. Until you got to it, it was hard to believe the horse was dead."
He must have describing Col Strong's (6th LA) dead horse from this famous pic. As horse lover and of this body type in particular this pic has always haunted me. Its a pity, good looking animal with dappling and thick body type. Lack of swelling at the time of the pic tells me he died slowly and lingered for awhile.
813a52335e0e7fccf46650b030491d04.jpg

Williams had a way with words and his letters made an interesting book. "From The Cannon's Mouth". I have seen the dead horse image many times, but I can't recall ever seeing whose horse it was before. Now I know Col. Vincent. The animals killed in war are always terrible things to see. I've read of accounts of G.I.'s in WWII speaking of the dead and dying horses in France. Many sights are terrible to see in war, but animals like horses or dogs are the hardest to take.

Last edited:
I was interested in finding out more about Colonel Henry B. Strong.

Strong was born in Ireland and by 1861 had emigrated to New Orleans where he was married and employed as a clerk. Although his birth date is unknown, the records indicate he was 40 years old at the time of his enlistment.

The 6th Louisiana was raised almost entirely in New Orleans. It was organized at Camp Moore and mustered in on June 4, 1861 with Henry B. Strong as Captain of the "Calhoun Guards." According to Lee's Tigers, 90% of the company were Irish-born, with 93% of the company overall being foreign-born. Over half the men who served in the regiment (who reported a place of birth) were born in Ireland.

The Louisianians boarded trains and moved north to Manassas, but took no part in the fighting there on July 21, 1861. In the reorganization of May 1862, Strong was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel. The regiment participated in Jackson's Valley Campaign. Strong assumed command of the 6th Louisiana when Colonel Isaac G. Seymour was killed at Gaines's Mill and led the regiment at Second Manassas, Chantilly, and into Maryland.

Hays's Louisiana brigade began the day in a reserve position north of the Dunker Church and east of the Hagerstown Pike. The brigade was rushed to support Douglass's Georgia brigade. Moving to the right of Douglass's men, the Louisiana brigade advanced into the Cornfield toward the East Woods. Strong and his horse were killed very early in the attack, near the southeast corner of the Cornfield and the edge of the woods.

map_attack_seq_1b (1).gif

According to Lieutenant George Ring, Strong was "killed while bravely leading his men in the charge." Ring went to Strong and "was struck with a ball on the knee joint while I was kneeling by Col. Strong’s body, securing his valuables. I got another ball on my arm and two on my sword in my hand, so you see I have cause to thank God that he has protected me in this great battle."

Strong is buried at Washington Confederate Cemetery in Hagerstown.

According to Lieutenant George Ring, Strong was "killed while bravely leading his men in the charge." Ring went to Strong and "was struck with a ball on the knee joint while I was kneeling by Col. Strong’s body, securing his valuables. I got another ball on my arm and two on my sword in my hand, so you see I have cause to thank God that he has protected me in this great battle."
Oh shoot. I just found something about this Strong's death last night in a newspaper but didn't save it. I'll see if I can find it again.

Back