GRAPHIC Union Dead on Battlefield at First Bull Run

The overcast was intentional, although I might've exaggerated it.

Yeah, I jumped the gun on the 'Union' part, I downloaded the image labeled 'Dead on Battlefield at 1st Bull Run' or something similar, and I mislabeled it - Not just here, but elsewhere, lol. Yes, it's definitely not from 1st Bull Run, I argued with a user on Reddit and the first verfiable 'death' photograph I was able to find was definitely from Antietam, as you mention. I don't know if it is from Antietam aswell, don't know who'd be able to shed some light on that.

What I do know, though, is that I couldn't get the grass to look right any other way, and you know this - It looked too 'off'.

No need to apologize for the attribution. I have had to re-label many of my images in the past when corrected information comes to light.

As for the color of the grass, I know exactly what you mean, sometimes it seems that it just does NOT want to hold the color that you know it should have. What a pain. I have had the same thing with the green on cannon carriages.

Thanks so much for the answer. I knew that someone on this forum would have that book. I could kick myself that when I met him a few years ago I only bought his Gettysburg: Journey in time book. He had all of his books with him it would have been great to have a complete autographed set.

Yes, please post the image when you get the chance, would love to see it.

Here is an image of Brady when he returned from Bull Run:

4a40924r.jpg

My pleasure sir! I will see to it this evening.

I must say that I do enjoy both you and Mr. Zuzah's work by the way!

The original photograph is generally considered as "staged" especially since the same individuals are seen in another image alive and well.
Pickets2.jpg

The original photograph is generally considered as "staged" especially since the same individuals are seen in another image alive and well.

Are you indicating that these are the same people in both? I'm not sure if they are. BTW, this is a really nice stereo image when looked at in 3D.

Here is the picture from William Frassanito's Antietam book. The quality is not very good but it does show the same four soldiers very much alive.

Very interesting. Perhaps this stereo image on the bottom was taken moments before the image on the top and they just all happened to die in between the two pictures :sneaky:

Seriously though, I did look at this through a stereo viewer, it was neat what detail you could pick up. It is possible to see four men in the shot the first three are easy, but there is one just below the guy in the middle holding the rifle.

I noticed when I looked at close up that it appears as if the two on the left are firing. This may be a bit of an optical illusion, but that would not have been possible with the photography of the day. I also took a look at every one of the LOC collection of Civil War Stereo cards to see if this image is back in their catalog. Unfortunately of the 685 Civil War Stereo Cards they list, this is not shown.

I think it is clear though that something very suspicious is going on and most likely that these are Union soldiers posing for the camera. Which would mean that One: Zuzah was correct in his coloring, at that Two: Zuzah did not need to label this as graphic since the mean were only laying on the ground. :wink:

Thanks so much for posting it!

Very interesting. Perhaps this stereo image on the bottom was taken moments before the image on the top and they just all happened to die in between the two pictures :sneaky:

Seriously though, I did look at this through a stereo viewer, it was neat what detail you could pick up. It is possible to see four men in the shot the first three are easy, but there is one just below the guy in the middle holding the rifle.

I noticed when I looked at close up that it appears as if the two on the left are firing. This may be a bit of an optical illusion, but that would not have been possible with the photography of the day. I also took a look at every one of the LOC collection of Civil War Stereo cards to see if this image is back in their catalog. Unfortunately of the 685 Civil War Stereo Cards they list, this is not shown.

I think it is clear though that something very suspicious is going on and most likely that these are Union soldiers posing for the camera. Which would mean that One: Zuzah was correct in his coloring, at that Two: Zuzah did not need to label this as graphic since the mean were only laying on the ground. :wink:

Thanks so much for posting it!

Again my pleasure. :happy:

I noticed the flash or smoke from those two guns in the back as well. I wonder if they were firing or maybe it was the sun glinting off their lockplates?

In the description given by Mr. Frassanito of these pictures he was surmising that maybe these pictures were taken at a army camp just outside of Washington D.C. and no where near Manassas.

I noticed the flash or smoke from those two guns in the back as well. I wonder if they were firing or maybe it was the sun glinting off their lockplates?

I thought about sun on the lockplates as well, I think it may be a distinct possibility. The chances that you would be able to capture two weapons firing at the same time are very remote.

In the description given by Mr. Frassanito of these pictures he was surmising that maybe these pictures were taken at a army camp just outside of Washington D.C. and no where near Manassas.

Very possible, there was a lot of Federal camps outside of Washington. Coincidentally most of them had been built in reaction to the miserable showing the the Union troops at first Manassas.

Back