Union & Confederate Torpedoboats, Semisubmersibles and submarines of the Civil War Era

Rene

Private
Hi there,

since such a lot of people liked my pictures of my latest built, the USS Choctaw model, I thought you might also like what I have done before that ironclad. It all started a few years ago, when I stumbled across a 1:72 model of the CSS Hunley. After I received the little kit I was a bit disappointed about its poor quality but soon after that I was also determined to do it better. So during the next 2 weeks or so I build a new Hunley and during the research I stumbled across many more such ship like oddities of this era. So after finishing I started with the next one and so on. After about 2 ½ years I ended up with this little fleet. OK I'll admit the USS Alarm is not from this era but she was definietely influenced by those spar torpedo boats of the Civil War.

All of them are completely scratch build and all are in the same scale of 1:72 as any of my models. I really hope you like them and if there are any questions concerning these models, feel free to ask.

1. CSS David

David 002.jpg
David 008.jpg

2. F.D. Lee's Torpedo Ram

FD Lee Ram 002.jpg
FD Lee Ram 006.jpg

3. CSS Hunley

Hunley 002.jpg
Hunley 006.jpg

4. CSS Pioneer

Pioneer 002.jpg
Pioneer 006.jpg

5. CSS Pioneer II

Pioneer II 002.jpg
Pioneer II 005.jpg

6. CSS Squib

CSS Squibb 002.jpg
CSS Squibb 007.jpg

7. Torpedo Rowboat

Torpedo Rowboat02.jpg

Torpedo Rowboat01.jpg

8. USS Alligator

USS Alligator02.jpg
USS Alligator06.jpg

9. USS Spuyten Duyvil

USS Spuyten Duyvil03.jpg

USS Spuyten Duyvil09.jpg

10. USS Alarm (1874)

USS Alarm01.jpg
USS Alarm13.jpg

USS Alarm41.jpg

USS Alarm15.jpg

USS Alarm40.jpg

USS Alarm16.jpg

It's a very nice collection, for sure. Great work.
There are details of David I would alter, based on my research, but overall, nice. There were changes made to the vessel over it's short life that often get conflated into a single design, and some inaccuracies have been consistently passed down, but based on current literature (since my work is so darned slow to get published!) it looks nice.

Torch (Lee's torpedo ram), however, I think was of a very different design. I am convinced that she was a larger, more elaborate version of Squib (a steam launch), but also a much compromised version than what Lee had envisioned when he designed the vessel. The vessel was designed for twin engines, twin props, twin boilers, but only got a single used engine and the design was modified accordingly. Also the vessel was based on the hull of Porter gunboat, probably around 150 ft. in length given that other Porter gunboats (Palmetto State, Chicora, and Savannah were all of his design and of similar dimensions).
I believe the lower vessel in this image is Lee's Torpedo Ram, but I know that is not the common consensus...

Torch in NYVol6 225 Sweden Diary.jpg

There are details of David I would alter, based on my research, but overall, nice. There were changes made to the vessel over it's short life that often get conflated into a single design, and some inaccuracies have been consistently passed down, but based on current literature (since my work is so darned slow to get published!) it looks nice.

Torch (Lee's torpedo ram), however, I think was of a very different design. I am convinced that she was a larger, more elaborate version of Squib (a steam launch), but also a much compromised version than what Lee had envisioned when he designed the vessel. The vessel was designed for twin engines, twin props, twin boilers, but only got a single used engine and the design was modified accordingly. Also the vessel was based on the hull of Porter gunboat, probably around 150 ft. in length given that other Porter gunboats (Palmetto State, Chicora, and Savannah were all of his design and of similar dimensions).
I believe the lower vessel in this image is Lee's Torpedo Ram, but I know that is not the common consensus...

View attachment 292789
John, did we not decide on balance that it was the hull of an incomplete Mauryn / Porter gunboat, a Hampton type?

View attachment 292789
This is a very interesting sketch you have got there but what I call F.D.Lee's Topredo Ram is something entirely different and based on
this photo among others:

65c750.jpg

Anyhow I would be really interested in any information you may have about this or similar designs
According to my sources this vessel was found by Union troops in Charlestons harv/bour after its recapture. The vessel was incomplete and brought to the Washington Naval Yard for further testing after beein completed. When I was at the Hunley museum in Charleston 3 years ago, and showed this picture to the museums personnel, I was surprised by the fact that noone knew anything about it .

This is a very interesting sketch you have got there but what I call F.D.Lee's Topredo Ram is something entirely different and based on
this photo among others:

View attachment 292795
Anyhow I would be really interested in any information you may have about this or similar designs
According to my sources this vessel was found by Union troops in Charlestons harv/bour after its recapture. The vessel was incomplete and brought to the Washington Naval Yard for further testing after beein completed. When I was at the Hunley museum in Charleston 3 years ago, and showed this picture to the museums personnel, I was surprised by the fact that noone knew anything about it .
John Littlefield will be able to enlighten us there, but I can assure you that "david" is not anything to do with F.D..Lee's vessel .

John Littlefield will be able to enlighten us there, but I can assure you that "david" is not anything to do with F.D..Lee's vessel .
Cant wait what he has to say about this.
I bought the plane from a gentleman named David J. Meagher he called it F.D. Lees Torpedo Ram and if you google it you will find a few sources which will refer exactly to this as F.D. Lees Torpedo Ram aka Torch or sometimes Torpedoboat No. 4 or I maybe wrong about that No. 6. There are a few more stereoscopic photos which clearly show this vessel at the Washington Navy Yard where according to other sources this boat was tested
So if you say this definitely NOT F.D. Lees Ram, what else is it and are there ans plans of the real Ram available cause I would love to see and build them
Anyhow Im curious , very curious
Cheers
Rene

There’s a life size model of the USS Alligator I saw in New Jersey. The paint they used was a bright bright reptile green. I wonder what the actual color was?

I really don 't want to usurp John's field, anymore than he would mine on the ironclads, but here is what I collected on the South's torpedo craft.

SPAR TORPEDO BOATS, SEMI SUBMERSIBLES & SUBMARINES OF THE CONFEDERATE STATES

SPAR TORPEDO BOATS

SEMI SUBMERSIBLES

DAVID TYPE

single screw, 40 - 60 ft x 5.5 - 6ft, crew 5, speed 10 knots.Armament: 1 x 50 -100pdr spar torpedo and small arms. Protected against small arms fire. Could carry up to 6 spare warheads.
David
Builder and designer Theodore Stoney & Julian Ravenal, constructed at Charleston SC in 1863, seriously dmaged USS New Ironsides in October 1863, unsuccessfully attacked USS Memphis, March 6th , and USS Wabash April 19th 1864
Midge
Built at Columbia & Charleston SC, captured and taken to Brooklyn navy yard.

50ft x 5.5ft
Nos 1 -5
& 7 - 8
Built 1864 -5 at Charleston SC. Captured at fall of Charleston,
one lost at sea, others taken to Annapolis and Brooklyn Navy Yards.

160ft x 11ft 7 ins
Bow solid, reinforced for ramming.
No 6
Built 164-65 captured incomplete at Fall of Charleston. This is probably the one photographed at Charleston.

Steel hull ,60ft x 12ft x 7ft, 2 screws, 10knots
6 un-named
Ordered by Navy Secretary Mallory August 1864 ,building at Mare & co Millwall, London. Never delivered. (Sold to Russia?)

160ft X 28ft X 11ft
steam, 1 screw, 2ft freeboard, 4 tube mounted spar torpedoes, 1 each bow & stern, port & starboard
1 un-named
Selma Alabama 1863
1 un-named
Wilmington Nc. 1863

Dimensions unknown
2 Un-named
Built at Mars Bluff Navy Yard Sc. At least one sent to Charleston, final fates unknown.
2 un- named
Built at Wilmington for the CSA. Destroyed by accidental fire.

SQUIB TYPE TORPEDO LAUNCHES

Surface picket / patrol / torpedo boat, steam, single screw. Crew 12 speed 10 - 11 knots, 46ft x 6ft 3 ins x 3ft 9 ins.
Armament : 1 - 18ft 50pdr spar and small arms.
Designed by William Graves
Hornet
Built at Richmond Va 1862 - 64, sunk in collision with CSS Allison
January 26th 1865.
Scorpion
Built at Richmond Va, completed 1864, tooke part in the attack on city point 23 -24th January 1865, burned after grounding.
Squib
Built at Richmond Va, successfully torpedoed USS Minnesota April 9th 1864, sent by rail to Wilmington Nc, destroyed Jan / Feb 1865
Wasp
Built at Richmond Va, career details unknown.
Un-named
Built at Mobile Ala, career details unknown
Un-named
Built at Mars Bluff Navy yard Sc . Completed February 1865, fate unknown.
Viper
Building at Columbus Ga, captured complete, lost at sea May 26 1865
Un- named
Building at Columbus Ga, fate unknown.
Un-named
Building at Wilmington, destroyed by accidental fire.

40 -50ft x 5 - 6ft x 3 ft,
crew 15. 2 -12pdr howitzers, 1 spar torpedo
Nos 1 -4
Building at Richmond Va, engines sent through the blockade, September 1864, uncertain if they ever arrived.
6 un-named
Building in various yards, engines, built by Clyde Bank Foundry, sent through the blockade, all sent from Mobile Ala to Yazoo river February 22nd 1865.

Dimensions uncertain, 4 x 40 -100 pdr spar torpedo, twin screws, 10 plus knots, with a 3ft draft crew 5
6 un-named
Contracted for August / September 1864.Built by Thorneycroft, Chiswick England , sold to Russia.

ROCKET TORPEDO BOAT

Designed by Colonel E H Angamer, this had twin hulls powered by oars with the rocket boat between them “drawing 18ft”. It was completed by July 1863 at a cost of C$20,000. Further history unknown.

CONVERSIONS FROM MERCHANT STEAMERS

Equator
Sidewheel steamer, converted in Cape Fear river, burned at Wilmington 1865. One gun.

Gunnison
70ft x 15ft x 7ft, 54 tons, 2 - 6pdr, 1 - 150pdr spar torpedo. Crew 10 Converted at Mobile Ala in 1863, captured 1865.

Shrapnel
Screw steam tug converted at Richmond Va, burned April 1865

Torpedo
70ft x 16ft x 6ft 6 ins, 2 - 20pdr, 1 spar torpedo. Converted at Richmond Va. Partially burned in the James river April 4th 1865. Sent to Norfolk Navy Yard in damaged condition

Torch
110ft x 20ft ,Converted from an unfinished Maury gunboat by F.D.Lee CSN in 1863. Armed with 3 - 70pdr spar torpedoes on a 12ft spar, crew 11, speed 8 knots. She unsuccessfully attacked USS New Ironsides off Charleston Harbour August 20th 1863. Became rapidly worn out and discarded.

General Whiting
Converted at Point Peter on the Cape Fear River, either from an existing vessel or assembled from parts sent through the blockade

SUBMARINE BOATS

REV. FRANKLYN SMITH DESIGN
19ft 6ins x 6ft, 4 tons displacement, 1 screw hand worked, 3 crew, armament unlnown
Un-named
1861 built at New Orleans, possibly by Manassas’ builders. In service summer 1861 - April 1862. Scuttled, recovered in 1879 and put on display.
Un-named
1861-2 built at Mobile Ala. Builder unknown, sunk by “some reprobate” January 1862
Un-named
Triton Company proposal for one to be built at Charleston SC, plans captured by USN, may have been under construction at the end of the war.

WILLIAM CHEENEY DESIGN
Dimensions unknown, 1 46 inch screw hand worked, 3 crew, carried a diver in a bow compartment, intended to fix a torpedo to enemy hulls
Un-named
Builder: Tredegar Ironworks Richmond Va. Operated in Hampton roads from october 1861, made at least one attack (Oct 17th). Fate unknown.
Un-named
Larger sister to the above, building December 1861, delivered to the CSN May 13th 1862. possibly had an electrically detonated towed torpedo. Fate unknown.

CHARLES P LEAVITT PROPOSAL
Dimensions unknown, 50 tons burden, shaped like Ross Winans “cigar steamer”.
But oval, steam, 1 screw. Armed with one “underwater” mortar.
Un-named
Technically advanced, not constructed.

JAMES McLINTOCK & BAXTER WATSON DESIGN

34ft x 4ft x 4 ft, round conical ends, 1 screw hand worked, 3 crew, painted black, 1 clockwork torpedo.
Pioneer
Built at New Orleans La, commissioned as a privateer. Sank in Bayou St John 1862 during an attack on USS New London, raised and sold for scrap 1868.

CHARLES G WILKINSON & CHARLIE CARROLL DESIGN
2 crew, no other details known
Un-named
Built at Savannah Ga, sank on trial February 23rd 1862, due to a faulty valve

SINGER SUBMARINE CORPORATION DESIGNS
Pioneer II

36ft x 3ft x 4ft , 1 screw, hand worked, speed 2.5 knots, crew 5, 1 clockwork torpedo.
Designed by H.L. Hunley, Mclintock & Watson, built at Park & Lyons workshop, Mobile Ala, completed in 1862, the first known attempt at both electric and steam propulsion for submarines was made in this vessel. May have made one attack February 14th 1863 during which she sank.

H.L.Hunley
40ft x 3.5ft x 4ft, 1 screw, hand powered, crew 9, speed 2.5 - 3 knots, 1 spar torpedo
Designed by Hunley, Mclintock & Watson, built by Park & Lyons at Mobile Ala, completed in 1863. After two crews died in accidents she successfully sank USS Housatonic February 17th 1864 off Charleston Harbour, subsequently being accidentally run down and sunk by wash from USS Canandaigua. Wreck discovered by Clive Cussler. Recovered late 2000 for display at Charleston Sc.

Un-named
Designed by Robert W Dunn of the Singer Submarine Corp.
Dimensions unknown, “Hunley type”
Parts manufactured by Tredegar Ironworks, Richmond Va for assemply at Mobile 1863.

I un-named
Designed by James Jones of the Singer submarine Corp.
Hunley type, 40ft x 4ft x 3ft 4ins, 1 screw hand powered, 4mph , 8 crew, 2 spar torpedoes one each at bow & stern

1 un-named
Built at Houston Texas 1864 -5. Fate unknown

1 un-named
Built at Galveston Texas 1864-5, fate unknown

4 un-named
Built at Shreveport La 1864-5, scuttled, presumably buried by river changing course.

JAS G PATTON PATENT October 1862
Dimensions and technical detail unknown
Un-named
Plans destroyed but 10” model exists in private hands

MR ANSTILT’S DESIGN
69ft long, two decks, 1 screw, steam, iron hulled, two box torpedoes mounted side by side joined by chains.
Un-named
To be built at Mobile Ala. Whether constructed is unknown.

JOHN P HALLIGAN’S DESIGN

30ft long, steam on surface, hand powered submerged, 1 screw. 1 spar torpedo
St Patrick
Built at Selma Ala, begun March 1864, attacked USS Octarora off Mobile Bay, January 27th 1865, but torpedo misfired. Final fate unknown.

TYPE UNKNOWN
38ft (30ft?) x 7ft x ?ft, 1 screw, steam on surface, hand powered below, 1 -40pdr spar torpedo.
Un-named
At Mobile April 1864, almost certainly captured August 5th 1864, this may be “Captain Pierce’s Submarine” reported by General Hurlbutt (USA). There is a mystery in that at least one account reports this vessel to be responsible for the loss of USS Tecumseh, normally attributed to a moored torpedo.

Please note that this list is several years old, and may be outdated by new information.

David J. Meagher he called it F.D. Lees Torpedo Ram and if you google it you will find a few sources which will refer exactly to this as F.D. Lees Torpedo Ram aka Torch or sometimes Torpedoboat No. 4 or I maybe wrong about that No. 6. There are a few more stereoscopic photos which clearly show this vessel at the Washington Navy Yard where according to other sources this boat was tested
So if you say this definitely NOT F.D. Lees Ram, what else is it and are there ans plans of the real Ram available cause I would love to see and build them
Anyhow Im curious , very curious
Cheers
Rene

Hi Rene,
There are two sources that conflate "torpedo boat" No.6 (pictured above) with Lee's Ram: one is Schafer 1996, in which an image of the boat appears in a chapter on Lee's Ram- Schafer never says this is the same vessel, but the presence of the image in that chapter implies so; the other (Canney 2015) presumably assumes the Schafer image to be Lee's ram and names it as such (if memory serves). BTW, No.6 was not an actual name (although it does frequently get incorrectly cited as such), it was simply a designation given by Union engineer Chassaing when he cataloged the "torpedo boats" abandoned on land in Charleston (see ORN Vol. 16 pp.378-9). There were three other actual torpedo boats, submerged at the time of Chassaing's visit, that were uncataloged; two of which were later raised and also taken as prizes to Northern ports (one was Midge mentioned in John's ( @rebelatsea ) post above.

I can demonstrably claim that No.6...
1) was NOT a torpedo boat, but a blockade runner
2) is not Torch/Lee's ram, nor was it designed by Lee, nor constructed by the military
3) is not the long "cigar-boat" photographed at the Washington Navy Yard (that was another fusiform boat taken from Charleston, named at some point, Preston). I have yet to see a picture of No.6 outside Charleston.
4) the long boat was designed and built by David Ebaugh (same as the original David, not Ravenal and Stoney as is commonly believed)
5) , because I have seen the logbook of Preston at the National archives, was commissioned for a very brief time (less than a month in Aug 1865), then sold for scrape due to it's instability and leakage.

So, no, No.6 is definitively NOT Lee's ram.
That being said, the sketch I posted earlier fits the description of Lee's Torch and is labeled as a vessel taken from Charleston... I have accounted for all other torpedo boats, known from description and photograph, that were taken from the city.
Unfortunately, there are no uncontested images of Lee's Ram, nor any photographs, but I remain convinced the above sketch is it.

Cheers,
John

Last edited:
The David was the forerunner of the Hunley am I correct? That’s what I’ve read.
No, actually it was not. David was under construction in Moncks Corner (~30 miles north of Charleston) at least by March 1863. The fish boat (commonly referred to as H.L. Hunley) was constructed in Mobile AL- they were completely unrelated. However, after the second sinking of the fish boat, David was used to tow the sub out of the inner harbor to make attempts at sinking a blockader (or two), but the fish boat used a towed torpedo at that time and the current caused the torpedo to float between the two vessels, nearly causing each to be lost. This was in January 1864, just a month before the fish boat sank Housatonic. That is the only connection between the two. They are not related in design- excepting a spar torpedo, which was adapted for the fish boat after the towing incident.

Last edited:
I really don 't want to usurp John's field, anymore than he would mine on the ironclads, but here is what I collected on the South's torpedo craft.

SPAR TORPEDO BOATS, SEMI SUBMERSIBLES & SUBMARINES OF THE CONFEDERATE STATES

SPAR TORPEDO BOATS

SEMI SUBMERSIBLES

DAVID TYPE

single screw, 40 - 60 ft x 5.5 - 6ft, crew 5, speed 10 knots.Armament: 1 x 50 -100pdr spar torpedo and small arms. Protected against small arms fire. Could carry up to 6 spare warheads.
David
Builder and designer Theodore Stoney & Julian Ravenal, constructed at Charleston SC in 1863, seriously dmaged USS New Ironsides in October 1863, unsuccessfully attacked USS Memphis, March 6th , and USS Wabash April 19th 1864
Midge
Built at Columbia & Charleston SC, captured and taken to Brooklyn navy yard.

50ft x 5.5ft
Nos 1 -5
& 7 - 8
Built 1864 -5 at Charleston SC. Captured at fall of Charleston,
one lost at sea, others taken to Annapolis and Brooklyn Navy Yards.

160ft x 11ft 7 ins
Bow solid, reinforced for ramming.
No 6
Built 164-65 captured incomplete at Fall of Charleston. This is probably the one photographed at Charleston.

Steel hull ,60ft x 12ft x 7ft, 2 screws, 10knots
6 un-named
Ordered by Navy Secretary Mallory August 1864 ,building at Mare & co Millwall, London. Never delivered. (Sold to Russia?)

160ft X 28ft X 11ft
steam, 1 screw, 2ft freeboard, 4 tube mounted spar torpedoes, 1 each bow & stern, port & starboard
1 un-named
Selma Alabama 1863
1 un-named
Wilmington Nc. 1863

Dimensions unknown
2 Un-named
Built at Mars Bluff Navy Yard Sc. At least one sent to Charleston, final fates unknown.
2 un- named
Built at Wilmington for the CSA. Destroyed by accidental fire.

SQUIB TYPE TORPEDO LAUNCHES

Surface picket / patrol / torpedo boat, steam, single screw. Crew 12 speed 10 - 11 knots, 46ft x 6ft 3 ins x 3ft 9 ins.
Armament : 1 - 18ft 50pdr spar and small arms.
Designed by William Graves
Hornet
Built at Richmond Va 1862 - 64, sunk in collision with CSS Allison
January 26th 1865.
Scorpion
Built at Richmond Va, completed 1864, tooke part in the attack on city point 23 -24th January 1865, burned after grounding.
Squib
Built at Richmond Va, successfully torpedoed USS Minnesota April 9th 1864, sent by rail to Wilmington Nc, destroyed Jan / Feb 1865
Wasp
Built at Richmond Va, career details unknown.
Un-named
Built at Mobile Ala, career details unknown
Un-named
Built at Mars Bluff Navy yard Sc . Completed February 1865, fate unknown.
Viper
Building at Columbus Ga, captured complete, lost at sea May 26 1865
Un- named
Building at Columbus Ga, fate unknown.
Un-named
Building at Wilmington, destroyed by accidental fire.

40 -50ft x 5 - 6ft x 3 ft,
crew 15. 2 -12pdr howitzers, 1 spar torpedo
Nos 1 -4
Building at Richmond Va, engines sent through the blockade, September 1864, uncertain if they ever arrived.
6 un-named
Building in various yards, engines, built by Clyde Bank Foundry, sent through the blockade, all sent from Mobile Ala to Yazoo river February 22nd 1865.

Dimensions uncertain, 4 x 40 -100 pdr spar torpedo, twin screws, 10 plus knots, with a 3ft draft crew 5
6 un-named
Contracted for August / September 1864.Built by Thorneycroft, Chiswick England , sold to Russia.

ROCKET TORPEDO BOAT

Designed by Colonel E H Angamer, this had twin hulls powered by oars with the rocket boat between them “drawing 18ft”. It was completed by July 1863 at a cost of C$20,000. Further history unknown.

CONVERSIONS FROM MERCHANT STEAMERS

Equator
Sidewheel steamer, converted in Cape Fear river, burned at Wilmington 1865. One gun.

Gunnison
70ft x 15ft x 7ft, 54 tons, 2 - 6pdr, 1 - 150pdr spar torpedo. Crew 10 Converted at Mobile Ala in 1863, captured 1865.

Shrapnel
Screw steam tug converted at Richmond Va, burned April 1865

Torpedo
70ft x 16ft x 6ft 6 ins, 2 - 20pdr, 1 spar torpedo. Converted at Richmond Va. Partially burned in the James river April 4th 1865. Sent to Norfolk Navy Yard in damaged condition

Torch
110ft x 20ft ,Converted from an unfinished Maury gunboat by F.D.Lee CSN in 1863. Armed with 3 - 70pdr spar torpedoes on a 12ft spar, crew 11, speed 8 knots. She unsuccessfully attacked USS New Ironsides off Charleston Harbour August 20th 1863. Became rapidly worn out and discarded.

General Whiting
Converted at Point Peter on the Cape Fear River, either from an existing vessel or assembled from parts sent through the blockade

SUBMARINE BOATS

REV. FRANKLYN SMITH DESIGN
19ft 6ins x 6ft, 4 tons displacement, 1 screw hand worked, 3 crew, armament unlnown
Un-named
1861 built at New Orleans, possibly by Manassas’ builders. In service summer 1861 - April 1862. Scuttled, recovered in 1879 and put on display.
Un-named
1861-2 built at Mobile Ala. Builder unknown, sunk by “some reprobate” January 1862
Un-named
Triton Company proposal for one to be built at Charleston SC, plans captured by USN, may have been under construction at the end of the war.

WILLIAM CHEENEY DESIGN
Dimensions unknown, 1 46 inch screw hand worked, 3 crew, carried a diver in a bow compartment, intended to fix a torpedo to enemy hulls
Un-named
Builder: Tredegar Ironworks Richmond Va. Operated in Hampton roads from october 1861, made at least one attack (Oct 17th). Fate unknown.
Un-named
Larger sister to the above, building December 1861, delivered to the CSN May 13th 1862. possibly had an electrically detonated towed torpedo. Fate unknown.

CHARLES P LEAVITT PROPOSAL
Dimensions unknown, 50 tons burden, shaped like Ross Winans “cigar steamer”.
But oval, steam, 1 screw. Armed with one “underwater” mortar.
Un-named
Technically advanced, not constructed.

JAMES McLINTOCK & BAXTER WATSON DESIGN

34ft x 4ft x 4 ft, round conical ends, 1 screw hand worked, 3 crew, painted black, 1 clockwork torpedo.
Pioneer
Built at New Orleans La, commissioned as a privateer. Sank in Bayou St John 1862 during an attack on USS New London, raised and sold for scrap 1868.

CHARLES G WILKINSON & CHARLIE CARROLL DESIGN
2 crew, no other details known
Un-named
Built at Savannah Ga, sank on trial February 23rd 1862, due to a faulty valve

SINGER SUBMARINE CORPORATION DESIGNS
Pioneer II

36ft x 3ft x 4ft , 1 screw, hand worked, speed 2.5 knots, crew 5, 1 clockwork torpedo.
Designed by H.L. Hunley, Mclintock & Watson, built at Park & Lyons workshop, Mobile Ala, completed in 1862, the first known attempt at both electric and steam propulsion for submarines was made in this vessel. May have made one attack February 14th 1863 during which she sank.

H.L.Hunley
40ft x 3.5ft x 4ft, 1 screw, hand powered, crew 9, speed 2.5 - 3 knots, 1 spar torpedo
Designed by Hunley, Mclintock & Watson, built by Park & Lyons at Mobile Ala, completed in 1863. After two crews died in accidents she successfully sank USS Housatonic February 17th 1864 off Charleston Harbour, subsequently being accidentally run down and sunk by wash from USS Canandaigua. Wreck discovered by Clive Cussler. Recovered late 2000 for display at Charleston Sc.

Un-named
Designed by Robert W Dunn of the Singer Submarine Corp.
Dimensions unknown, “Hunley type”
Parts manufactured by Tredegar Ironworks, Richmond Va for assemply at Mobile 1863.

I un-named
Designed by James Jones of the Singer submarine Corp.
Hunley type, 40ft x 4ft x 3ft 4ins, 1 screw hand powered, 4mph , 8 crew, 2 spar torpedoes one each at bow & stern

1 un-named
Built at Houston Texas 1864 -5. Fate unknown

1 un-named
Built at Galveston Texas 1864-5, fate unknown

4 un-named
Built at Shreveport La 1864-5, scuttled, presumably buried by river changing course.

JAS G PATTON PATENT October 1862
Dimensions and technical detail unknown
Un-named
Plans destroyed but 10” model exists in private hands

MR ANSTILT’S DESIGN
69ft long, two decks, 1 screw, steam, iron hulled, two box torpedoes mounted side by side joined by chains.
Un-named
To be built at Mobile Ala. Whether constructed is unknown.

JOHN P HALLIGAN’S DESIGN

30ft long, steam on surface, hand powered submerged, 1 screw. 1 spar torpedo
St Patrick
Built at Selma Ala, begun March 1864, attacked USS Octarora off Mobile Bay, January 27th 1865, but torpedo misfired. Final fate unknown.

TYPE UNKNOWN
38ft (30ft?) x 7ft x ?ft, 1 screw, steam on surface, hand powered below, 1 -40pdr spar torpedo.
Un-named
At Mobile April 1864, almost certainly captured August 5th 1864, this may be “Captain Pierce’s Submarine” reported by General Hurlbutt (USA). There is a mystery in that at least one account reports this vessel to be responsible for the loss of USS Tecumseh, normally attributed to a moored torpedo.

Please note that this list is several years old, and may be outdated by new information.
Thanks John for not torpedoing me for encroaching on your territory !

Back