Union artillery lost at Second Manassas

Hannover

Private
At Second Manassas, the Confederates captured 30 pieces of artillery, but from which Union batteries where they lost?
I have accounted for 15 so far, they are:

Hampton’s battery, 1st Pennsylvania Light, Battery F; lost 2 x 10pdr Parrotts on August 29th

Thompson’s battery, Pennsylvania Light, Battery C; lost 3 x 10pdr Parrotts on August 30th

McGilvery’s battery, 6th Maine Light; lost 2 x 20pdr Parrotts on August 30th

Matthew’s battery, 1st Pennsylvania Light, Battery F; lost 4 x 3” Rifles on August 30th

Kern’s battery, 1st Pennsylvania Light, Battery G; lost 4 x 10pdr Parrotts on August 30th

Does anyone have any further information on these losses and does anyone know which Confederate batteries ended up with these pieces?

Thanks in anticipation.

At Second Manassas, the Confederates captured 30 pieces of artillery, but from which Union batteries where they lost?
I have accounted for 15 so far, they are:

Hampton’s battery, 1st Pennsylvania Light, Battery F; lost 2 x 10pdr Parrotts on August 29th

Thompson’s battery, Pennsylvania Light, Battery C; lost 3 x 10pdr Parrotts on August 30th

McGilvery’s battery, 6th Maine Light; lost 2 x 20pdr Parrotts on August 30th

Matthew’s battery, 1st Pennsylvania Light, Battery F; lost 4 x 3” Rifles on August 30th

Kern’s battery, 1st Pennsylvania Light, Battery G; lost 4 x 10pdr Parrotts on August 30th

Does anyone have any further information on these losses and does anyone know which Confederate batteries ended up with these pieces?

Thanks in anticipation.
Wow... Great question! I do not have the answer, although I hope somebody on the forum does. But, as John Pope reported to Halleck after the battle on August 30th:

We have had a terrific battle again to-day, the enemy, largely re-enforced, assaulted our position early to-day. We held our ground firmly until 6 P.M., when the enemy forced back [our left] wing about half a mile. At dark we held that position. Under all circumstances, both horses and men having been two days without food, and the enemy greatly outnumbering us, I thought it best to draw back to this place at dark. The movement has been made in perfect order and without loss. The troops are in good heart, and marched off the field without the least hurry or confusion. Do not be uneasy. We will hold our own here. We have damaged him heavily, and I think the army entitled to the gratitude of the country. Be easy; everything will go well. P.S.—We have lost nothing, neither guns nor wagons.

Last edited:
Thank you Andy, just shows you how John Pope became divorced from the truth!
Found another, so now up to 16:
Gerrish’s battery, 1st New Hampshire Light; lost 1 x 12pdr Napoleon to Law’s brigade on August 29th (ref: Artillery Hell p.69).
My other suspects are:
Cooper’s battery, 1st Pennsylvania Light, Battery B, as they were reported as being equipped with 6 x 10pdr Parrotts at Second Manassas but only had 4 x 3” Rifles by the time of Antietam.
Similarly, Ransom’s battery, 5th U.S. artillery, battery C, fought Second Manassas with 6 x 12pdr Napoleons but only reported 4 at Antietam.

I know of one Confederate battery that benefited:

Captain John C. Carpenter's Alleghany (Virginia) Artillery: After Second Manassas it was equipped with two 12-pounder Napoleons and two 10-pounder Parrotts captured from the enemy. (source: Capt. Carpenter’s Battery, A Centennial History of Alleghany County)

This battery brought two Napoleons and two 3-inch Rifles to Gettysburg, so I suppose the Napoleons at least were still with them in the latter battle.

I am currently about 3/4 into "Return To Bull Run..." by John J. Hennessy but I doubt I can go back and find the previous references to captured Union artillery. I am at the Porter's Attack phase of the battle at mid-afternoon on 8/30/1862.

Super work Tom as this battery, Carpenter's Alleghany Artillery, has several conflicting reports for its armament at Antietam. Carmen reported the armament as 2 x 3" Ordnance Rifles and 2 x 12pdr Napoleons; but Johnson & Anderson in 'Artillery Hell' gives the armament as 1 x 3" Rifle, 1 x 10pdr Parrott and 2 x 12pdr Napoleons. The battery appears to have been equipped with 2 x 3" Rifles and 2 x 12pdr Howitzers at Second Manassas which suggests it was completely re-equipped from booty from this battle.

Back