Uniforms Uniforms worn by the 1st Missouri Infantry (Confederate) at Pea Ridge.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
When ever I go the the Michigan Military Heritage Museum they let me in free because I am a veteran. So when I visit I try to purchase something or put a donation in their donation jar. I have ended up with a few of these Tin Kurtz uniform plates which Kurtz signed and donated to the museum to sell. This one is enlargement taken from a larger art work. It shows the Confederate 1st Missouri at Pea Ridge.

1st Misso.jpg

This is a basically a fun uniform plate, but I have to wonder how accurate it is. He wears a white shirt, dark vest, and black trousers. So step one is for me to find out what the 1st Missouri wore at Pea Ridge. The solder in the image appear to wear one bayonet on a belt over his shoulder and a second bayonet on his right side on a waist belt

Should I just keep this uniform plate as a fun uniform plate?

As far as accuracy, it's rather unknown, most Missouri units would have still been rather mismatched, any uniformity would have probably only been at company level.

And the 1st MO CSA regt wasn't at PR...

There would have been a 1st Missouri brigade with sub units then 7 Divisions of MSG that probably most of them had elements of both a 1st Mo Inf and a 1st Mo Cav as well...as some historians rather incorrectly refer to MSG as CSA as well..rather hard to tell what unit he even represents

Sterling Price's MSG were issued un-dyed wool uniforms that had been meant for issue to Stand Waites Cherokee Brigade. They were white in color and according to written accouterments smelled strongly of lanolin. If you look at the painting of Elkhorn Tavarn you can see they Rebels appear to be wearing white uniforms, because they were.

Sterling Price's MSG were issued un-dyed wool uniforms that had been meant for issue to Stand Waites Cherokee Brigade. They were white in color and according to written accouterments smelled strongly of lanolin. If you look at the painting of Elkhorn Tavarn you can see they Rebels appear to be wearing white uniforms, because they were.
Great discussion

And General Albert Pike was supposedly "fighting mad" about Price's little hijacking.

To quote an excellent article by Fred Adolphus, here's what is said of the Missouri State Guard/soon-to-be Confederate troops:

"General Sterling Price's Missourians received an issue of drab [white] uniforms in northwest Arkansas on March 1 and 2, 1862. They were part of the stocks that had been requisitioned by the indian General, Albert Pike. That did not stop stop Price, however, from filching the uniforms for his own troops, while the Indians, for whom they had been ordered, were still wearing the "blankets, moccasins, and other odd dress" that they had come into camp with. "General Pike, who had been to the greatest pains to obtain regulation uniforms for his Cherokees...was fighting mad over the amiable brigandage...(but) the Missourians were all agreed that there was no use wasting good new (uniforms) on the ignorant savages."

Here's the whole excellent classic article for those not in the know of it:

http://adolphusconfederateuniforms.com/uploads/3/4/1/2/34124152/drab.pdf

I'd say the artist interpretation is way off, not only for Pea Ridge but in general, but it still looks good to me.

To quote an excellent article by Fred Adolphus, here's what is said of the Missouri State Guard/soon-to-be Confederate troops:

"General Sterling Price's Missourians received an issue of drab [white] uniforms in northwest Arkansas on March 1 and 2, 1862. They were part of the stocks that had been requisitioned by the indian General, Albert Pike. That did not stop stop Price, however, from filching the uniforms for his own troops, while the Indians, for whom they had been ordered, were still wearing the "blankets, moccasins, and other odd dress" that they had come into camp with. "General Pike, who had been to the greatest pains to obtain regulation uniforms for his Cherokees...was fighting mad over the amiable brigandage...(but) the Missourians were all agreed that there was no use wasting good new (uniforms) on the ignorant savages."

Here's the whole excellent classic article for those not in the know of it:

http://adolphusconfederateuniforms.com/uploads/3/4/1/2/34124152/drab.pdf

I'd say the artist interpretation is way off, not only for Pea Ridge but in general, but it still looks good to me.
The illistration by Tim Kurtz may not be totally accurate but it is fun and the money went to support a good cause. In the end I am glad ai bought it.

I do think it is part of a larger painting, however I do not believe I have ever seen the larger painting.
I just him up on the WWW. It looks like he did a series about individual soldier prints of which yours' is one of. He also does impressionistic paintings and cubism. His subject matter or area of interest is pretty broad.

Back