Uniforms worn by Confederate Marylanders.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
For another thread I look through some older magazines and reread Enlisted Uniforms of the Maryland Confederate infantry; A Case Study part I and part II by Ross M. Kimmel which made me realize we could have a thread on what the 12,000 Confederates from Maryland wore.

So many men from Maryland served in non Maryland units but there were two regiments of Maryland Infantry, two battalions of Maryland cavalry, and four batteries of Maryland artillery. Don Troiani has done a couple of images of Maryland soldiers.

There are a couple serving jackets worn by confederates from Maryland and the jacket and trousers of Courtney Jenkins is a good place to start. Although the Jenkins uniform was worn when he was in the 21st Virginia, it appears to match the jackets worn by members of the 1st Maryland Infantry.

The above articles are a very good study of uniforms worn by Maryland Confederate soldiers and have many photos, but what other sources should one look at to gain a better understanding of Maryland uniforms?

Military Images Magazine Volume X, Number 5 March-April 1989 issue was devoted to Maryland Confederate images.

89C9487E-D78E-4D75-B3D3-89ACE6705D30.jpeg

Maryland Confederate Faces by Dave Mark, A Band of Brothers by Hartzler, First and Second Infantry Maryland Infantry, CSA by Driver, Maryland Civil War Photographs, by Kelbaugh. Recollections of a Maryland Confederate Soldier 1861-1865 by Howard, The Maryland Line in the Confederate Army, by Goldsborough, Personal Memoirs of Johnathan T Scharf, Reminiscences of Four Years as a Private Soldier in the Confederate Army 1861-1865, by John Gill and Three Cheers for the Chesapeake; History of the 4th Maryland Light Artillery Battery in the Civil War, by Richter

Back