Uniforms Uniforms worn at the Battle of Shiloh.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
There are books and article about the uniforms worn at Gettysburg and some other battles. I was wondering if there have been any magazine articles or books written about the uniforms both sides wore at the Battle of Shiloh?

Pete Longstreet

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Found this while during a search for Shiloh uniforms. Not sure if this helped you out at all.

Battle of Shiloh

The two-day Battle of Shiloh or Pittsburg Landing, fought on 6th and 7thApril 1862, that ended, after such high Confederate hopes, in their defeat, staggering the American nation by the carnage

Uniforms: In Europe the French military establishment of Emperor Napoleon III was in the ascendancy following the Crimean War and the wars in Northern Italy fought by the French against the Austrians. Both Federal and Confederate armies adopted the French style ‘kepi’ and several regiments on each side adopted the uniforms of the French North African ‘Zouaves’. The Federal regiments wore dark blue. The Confederates in theory wore a light grey uniform. In practice the Confederate government was unable to maintain a proper supply of uniform clothing for its troops who wore whatever they could get their hands on.

Klaudly

Sergeant
The 13th Louisiana infantry, included the companies of 'Avegno Zouaves'. At Perryville they still wore their blue jackets and wide red trousers, so it's easy to think that they wore the same uniform at Shiloh.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
They probably have had Battle of Shiloh reenactments. If they did have Battle of Shiloh reenactments, there could have been uniform guidelines. Then again they could have allowed mid war uniforms for both sides.

Rusk County Avengers

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
This is a subject I've been looking into for a while, along with weapons used. So far I've found no book or article covering Shiloh exclusively. The article I've found that goes in depth is Fred Adolphus's famous article on Drab uniforms and it is brief. Also one of his recent articles covering uniforms in different regions has a lot of Louisiana uniforms that fit into the Shiloh period pretty well.

As for Confederate uniforms I've found there are several uniforms associated with the battle. For example the "Cresent Regiment" there is a yellow trimmed frock coat associated with the regiment from the period, and a blue shell jacket if I remember right. Arkansas Regiments would have been a mix of Little Rock Depot frock coats, citizen cloths from home, and early commutation style uniforms. Texas is well noted for the various uniforms, famously white uniforms. Tennessee, and other States I've not gotten into researching as of yet.

I have a long way to go before the Shiloh CWT shindig.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Early war uniforms in the Western Theater has not been covered as much as they should have been covered. In the past, I do think that the Western Theater has not been covered as much as it should have been covered. There does appear to be more coverage of the Western Theater in the past decade or two. Perhaps this will encourage a deeper look at the uniforms worn at some of the battles of the Western Theater.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
This is a subject I've been looking into for a while, along with weapons used. So far I've found no book or article covering Shiloh exclusively. The article I've found that goes in depth is Fred Adolphus's famous article on Drab uniforms and it is brief. Also one of his recent articles covering uniforms in different regions has a lot of Louisiana uniforms that fit into the Shiloh period pretty well.

As for Confederate uniforms I've found there are several uniforms associated with the battle. For example the "Cresent Regiment" there is a yellow trimmed frock coat associated with the regiment from the period, and a blue shell jacket if I remember right. Arkansas Regiments would have been a mix of Little Rock Depot frock coats, citizen cloths from home, and early commutation style uniforms. Texas is well noted for the various uniforms, famously white uniforms. Tennessee, and other States I've not gotten into researching as of yet.

I have a long way to go before the Shiloh CWT shindig.

Your research sounds interesting. One could find some information about the Confederate uniforms worn at Shiloh by looking at individual states and units, but that information would come in bits and pieces. I have never seen a book or good article that has attempted to cover the subject in depth.

Rusk County Avengers

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Your research sounds interesting. One could find some information about the Confederate uniforms worn at Shiloh by looking at individual states and units, but that information would come in bits and pieces. I have never seen a book or good article that has attempted to cover the subject in depth.

Maybe I'll try to write an article on it, but I wouldn't dare try it for some time. There is a LOT of additional research I need to do.

Which is hard to get me to do as I'm a scatterbrained type who will be obsessed with researching something Confederate uniform related, and then one day wake up and say, "Oh I want to research Mexican War uniforms of the 1st Texas Mounted Volunteers!" or "You know I feel like Continental Army research today!" and will be on those for weeks before going back to Confederate research.

Keeps things from getting old...