Uniforms of the Florida Military Institute Cadets.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
There are so many images (paintings) of the VMI Cadets when they were called out to fight, but I do not believe I have seem images of the Florida Military Institute Cadets when the helped defend Tallahassee in March of 1864. Does anyone have an image of them?

"Sue Archer, a student at the seminary and sister of one of the cadets, went to the train station to see her brother off. While there she saw "one little boybearfoot and wearing the cadets' uniform [who] stood apart from the others ,and was crying, because Captain Johnson refused to let him go, as he was the only son of a poor blibd woman. Captain Johnsin told him that good soldiers did not cry " (The Young Lions by James Lee Conrad)

Last edited:
Just finished a book on the Battle Of Natural Bridge,3/6/1865. The are no pics in it of the West Florida Seminary Cadets.

I have seen the cadets used at this time being called the "Baby Corps". Ther were cadets as young as 12 years old.

There are so many images (paintings) of the VMI Cadets when they were called out to fight, but I do not believe I have seem images of the Florida Military Institute Cadets when the helped defend Tallahassee in March of 1864. Does anyone have an image of them?
According to this link,there is a cadet uniform of the type worn by the cadets of West Florida Seminary in the Battle of Natural Bridge on display at the Stozier Library at Florida State University in Tallahassee. Don't know if it is an original or reproduction.

https://naturalbridge150.omeka.net/about

097866de315fec8e21675861c089b878.jpg

Post Civil War the cadets at West Point set the standard for many military academy uniforms. However, based on photographs, this might not be the case in pre Civil War military academy uniforms. I have thought that a book about military academy uniforms of the Civil War years would make an interesting study of military uniforms.

My reason for this is that older militia officers would had worn uniforms a decade or so out of civilian fashion. However, 16 to 18 year-old cadets would have tailored their uniforms in the latest fashion. Let us be honest, 16 to 18 year-olds were very in to impressing young ladies and thus wanted to were the very height of fashion to a effort to impress the young ladies. This allows me to get into the latest military fads ca. 1860.

Youthful militia officers in the early 1850 still had extra padding put into the chest, shoulders, and rump and hips of their coats so it appeared they had very thin waists. By the Civil War the padding in the rumps hips of the coats was disappearing.

A reproduction
Thanks.It looked too new and clean to me but the pic wasn't very good. Hope an original exists somewhere. It would be a shame if not.

"Sue Archer, a student at the seminary and sister of one of the cadets, went to the train station to see her brother off. While there she saw "one little boybearfoot and wearing the cadets' uniform [who] stood apart from the others ,and was crying, because Captain Johnson refused to let him go, as he was the only son of a poor blibd woman. Captain Johnsin told him that good soldiers did not cry " (The Young Lions by James Lee Conrad)
Sounds very much like a similar scene in "The Horse Soldiers"...

Back