Uniforms of 16th Georgia Infantry

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
Ive accumulated a nice collection of images of men of the 16th Georgia Infantry in uniform and thought Id share them here as I find some of the uniforms really interesting. I know there are a bunch of people on here who know an awful lot about uniforms!

I'd really appreciate some additional info about theses - they all seem to have different components, different patterns, different hats and even different weapons and accouterments? Are the uniforms militia, early, or late war, Confederate issue, private contract, or sewed at home, etc. Are the weapons their own or photographers props?

If you have time? @Frederick14Va @Patrick H @major bill and anyone else who may know about uniforms?

Here are the first five:
1. Osborn Cicero Cole - Private Co I "Hutchin's Guards"
I just received this image today from a descendant and I really like it. Born around 1830, Osborn Cole was a resident of Gwinnett County. He married Nettie Dobbs and they had six children. On July 16, 1861, at the age of 31 years, Osborn enlisted in Company I as a Private and arrived in Richmond July 23, 1861. During the Summer of 1862, he was admitted twice to the hospital for intermittent fever and chronic rheumatism. He was returned to duty Aug 26, 1862, just in time to join the Regiment for the Maryland Campaign. He was killed at the Battle of Chancellorsville on May 4. 1863, leaving Nettie and six children- the oldest was 13 and the youngest was 3.
16ga Co I Osborne C Cole.jpg

2. Wilson Carrington - Pvt Co A "Madison Greys"
Born in Madison County Georgia in 1843. On July 11, 1861, he and his brother, Willis Carrington, enlisted in Company A "Madison Greys" at Madison County, GA. Willis died of disease near Suffolk, VA earlier in 1862. Wilson was killed at Crampton’s Gap Sept 14, 1862.
Wilson Carrington.jpg

3. John Sanford King - Pvt Co A "Madison Greys"
Enlisted as a Private July 11, 1861.
Admitted to Chimborazo Hospital in Richmond May 18, 1862 with diarrhea. Returned to duty June 12, 1862. Killed at Chancellorsville, VA May 3, 1863.
John Sanford King Co A.jpg

4. Alexander Ambrose Timmons - Pvt Co F "Joe Brown Rough & Ready"
Born Aug 9, 1844 in Cherokee County, Georgia. Enlisted June 1861 at Monroe GA as a private in Company F at the age of 16. According to an interview conducted in Graham TX - "I was slightly wounded in the charge on Fort Sanders at Knoxville, TN on November 29, 1863. At the battle of the Wilderness, in Virginia, a piece of shell passed through the calf of my leg and put me out of business. Was never captured. Our Fifth Sergeant was killed at South Moutain, Md where my Company lost ten killed, fourteen wounded, and three captured out of thirty-two men. I had my gun stock shot in two. Was at Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg, Chacellorsville, Gettysburg, Knoxville, Tenn and the Wilderness.” After the war, he did not stay long in Georgia,soon traveling to Young County, Texas with his cousin, Pinkney Brooks (also of 16th GA.) He bought land that was located between Pinkney Brooks property and the Brazos River. He married Mary Ellen Howard and the couple had at least seven children. He died Sept 9, 1912 and was buried in Young County, TX

Alexander Ambrose Timmons Co F.jpg

5. Elias Sanders Dyer - 2nd Lt Co C "Hartwell Infantry"
Enlisted July 13, 1861 and elected 2nd Lieutenant Company C. Captured at Crampton’s Gap. Wounded at the Battle of the Wilderness May of 1864 and died June 6, 1864 at General Hospital Camp Winder in Richmond, Va. He is buried in Hollywood Cemetery.
Elias Sanders Dyer.jpg

Last edited:
Top image is a tail coat (coatee) probably gray in color with matching trousers. Most pre-war militia companies would have worn better tail coats than this example. His tail coat is of the type I would call a fatigue tail coat and is rather simple, does not appear to be too well made and does not fit him well. I would suggest this was not a pre-war uniform but a locally made uniform put together rather quickly for a unit leaving for war. These simple early war tail coats were not too common, but were worn by both Northern and Southern units.

Although this uniform is not pretty it is interesting to people who study uniforms. In my reference library I have over 100 color or black and white uniform prints or studies of Georgia uniforms, but none of the 16th Georgia.

Last edited:
16th Georgia Uniforms - PART II

6. Horatio J David - Jr 2nd Lt Co B "Center Hill Guard"

Enlisted as a Private July 17, 1961. On August 16, 1864, Horatio lost his sight in one eye after an injury at Front Royal, VA during the Battle of Guard Hill. He returned to Georgia and died Feb 6 1923. He is buried in Banks County, GA. Photo from the loc.
16ga CoB Horatio J David.jpg

7. Alexander Parks Ellison - 3d Sgt Co F "Joe Brown Rough & Ready"
Born June 3, 1816. On Nov 26, 1841 he married Susan Thompson in Walton County, Georgia. The couple had eight children. He enlisted with two of his sons Private Augustus Parks Ellison (pictured below) and Private Zachariah Thompson Ellison, as well as six cousins. After the war, he returned to his wife and family in Georgia. He died Sept 9, 1867 and was buried in the family cemetery in Walton County, GA.
Alexander Parks Ellison.jpg

8. Augustus Parks Ellison - Pvt Co F "Joe Brown Rough & Ready"
One of the sons of Alexander Parks Ellison (above), Augustus Parks Ellison, was wounded and captured at Crampton's Gap on Sept 14, 1862. He was sent to a Union Field Hospital at Burkittsville where his left arm was amputated near the shoulder joint. After the war, he returned to Georgia, married and fathered at least five children. He died Jan 31, 1912 and was buried in Walker County GA. Not much detail in this photo, but its interesting still.
Augustus Parks Ellison Co F.jpg

9. Christopher Columbus McEver - 3d Sgt Co G "Jackson Rifles"
Born Oct. 24, 1837 in DeKalb County, GA ; living in Randolph District, Jackson County, GA in 1860. Enlisted as a private by Adjutant James Barrow on July 20, 1861 at Jefferson, Jackson County, GA, he arrived in Richmond July 28, 1861.
Captured at Cold Harbor June 1, 1864 and imprisoned at Elmira, NY until June 16, 1865 when he pledged 'The Oath' and was released. After his release, he returned to North Georgia. He married Ann Elizabeth Bell in 1867 and built a nice home in Gainesville. Together, they raised 12 children. He was a founding member of Oak Grove Baptist Church (Gainesville, GA) and was buried there in the church cemetery after his death in 1906.
C C McEver.jpg

10. Eli Pinson Landers - Sgt Co H "Flint Hill Greys"
Born in 1842. Enlisted at the age of 19; was twice wounded and survived many battles- Antietam, Fredricksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, and Chickamauga, only to die in camp of Typhoid fever in 1863 at the age of 21. He is buried in Sweetwater Baptist Church Cemetery in Gwinnett Co. which his father donated in 1824 with the establishment of the church.
Eli Pinson Landers.jpg

Last edited:
Top image is a tail coat (coatee) probably gray in color with matching trousers. Most pre-war militia companies would have worn better tail coats than this example. His tail coat is of the type I would call a fatigue tail coat and is rather simple, does not appear to be too well made and does not fit him well. I would suggest this was not a pre-war uniform but a locally made uniform put together rather quickly for a unit leaving for war. These simple early war tail coats were not too common, but were worn by both Northern and Southern units. Although this uniform is not pretty it is interesting to people who study uniforms. In my reference library I have over 100 color or black and white uniform prints or studies of Georgia uniforms, but none of the 16th Georgia.

Now you have 10 and Ill post more tomorrow! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Thanks for the additional info. I really appreciate it as I know absolutely NOTHING :nah disagree: about uniforms, but am really trying to learn.

Last edited:
One of my favorite 16th Georgia photographs.

http://cdm.georgiaarchives.org:2011/cdm/search/searchterm/Regiment/mode/all/order/descri/page/2

Hart County, ca. 1860. Two Confederate soldiers, William Thomas Bailey and his brother Henry M. Bailey

William Thomas Bailey (left) and his brother, Henry M. Bailey (right), from Hart County, Georgia. Both brothers enlisted in Company C on July 13, 1861. William Thomas was captured and paroled at Hartwell GA on May 18, 1865. Pension records show that he contracted lung trouble during his service. He died Feb 7 1915 and was buried in Hart County GA.
Henry was captured at Cold Harbor June 1. 1864. He contracted variola and died while imprisoned at Elmira June 16, 1865. He is buried at the Confederate Cemetery at Elmira.

Two other brothers also served in the 16th Georgia – John Canady Bailey and Junior 2nd Lieutenant Griffin Bailey. Both of them made it back to Georgia and are buried in Hart County.

a2d59f1b5abe8d6b8757ee6a610197b1.jpg

Don Troiani - A private of Company A, 16th Georgia Regiment , July of 1863

Attachments

• a2d59f1b5abe8d6b8757ee6a610197b1.jpg
    a2d59f1b5abe8d6b8757ee6a610197b1.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 236
Great photos, thanks for sharing!

I think the Troiani painting is accurate. Most men in Lee's army were wearing shell jackets by mid 1863, but Georgia troops were still receiving many frock coats from the state quartermaster. Georgia Quartermaster General Ira R. Foster reported in March 1863 that, at that time, 4,556 coats had been supplied to Georgia regiments, and that 7,272 coats were still on hand. (The Confederate Army, 1861-65, Vol. 2 by Ron Field). Some troops in Lee's army were also issued light blue trousers at the time which, IIRC, were manufactured from imported English cloth.

Most of the images here were probably taken very early in the war, hence the wide variety of uniforms.

Great photos, thanks for sharing!

I think the Troiani painting is accurate. Most men in Lee's army were wearing shell jackets by mid 1863, but Georgia troops were still receiving many frock coats from the state quartermaster. Georgia Quartermaster General Ira R. Foster reported in March 1863 that, at that time, 4,556 coats had been supplied to Georgia regiments, and that 7,272 coats were still on hand. (The Confederate Army, 1861-65, Vol. 2by Ron Field). Some troops in Lee's army were also issued light blue trousers at the time which, IIRC, were manufactured from imported English cloth.

Most of the images here were probably taken very early in the war, hence the wide variety of uniforms.
Thanks for your reply @AUG351! Does anyone know how common it was to have Companies within the same regiment outfitted so differently? It seems like the images I have show every possible configuration and combination of components. So far, the ones of Company A Madison Greys are the only ones that seems to be consistent at all.

Reactions: Lee
Thanks for your reply @AUG351! Does anyone know how common it was to have Companies within the same regiment outfitted so differently? It seems like the images I have show every possible configuration and combination of components. So far, the ones of Company A Madison Greys are the only ones that seems to be consistent at all.
Many companies initially went to war outfitted in their own uniforms. Those didn't last very long, however; they were either worn until they wore out and/or were replaced to outfit the entire regiment in the same thing.

Most soldiers, especially Confederates, had their image taken at the outset of the war; and since many were in their company uniforms at the time, it's not unusual to see so many different uniforms in photos of men from the same regiment.

At first Georgia provided 'commutation money' for units to purchase their own uniforms. Commutation money is basically giving men money to purchase a uniform for themselves. Because Georgia did not specify exactly what the uniform would be, this resulted in companies purchasing a wide variety of uniforms. One of the goals of some units or individual men was purchase uniforms at a low cost and pocket part of the money. Poorly made uniforms were common as was overshirts in place of coats or jackets. In February of 1861 Georgia issued General Order No. 4 which required enlisted men have "Georgia Cadet gray" frock coats with black cord or welt trim on collar and pointed cuffs for infantry , orange was used for artillery. Calvary apparently were wearing gray jackets. In the summer of 1861 Governor Brown had papers print a request for local cities to supply uniforms to Georgia troop in Virginia. Even though jackets were requested, uniforms arrived in a wide variety of styles. Starting in February 1862 Georgia decided the state would provide the uniforms and the State Clothing Bureau was established and in general the uniforms became more uniform.

So to make a long story short for the Georgia 16th Regiment; Wide verity of misinforms in 1861 but by 1862 companies should have worn more similar uniforms once the state took over supplying the uniforms, but Georgia did change what they issued with jackets being the most common..

16th Georgia Uniforms - PART III

11. Sanders Brothers - Co C "Hartwell Infantry" James Sanders, Swanson Sanders, Benjamin Sanders

The Captain of Co C was John H. Skelton, their uncle. James (left) was killed at Antietam. Swanson (middle) was wounded FIVE times, captured, held as a POW at Elmira and lived to tell the tale. Benjamin (right) served through the war but was captured at Front Royal (the same day as Swanson) and died whilst imprisoned at Elmira, NY. Thomas (not pictured) was home on sick furlough at the time of the surrender of the ANV. I posted their whole story here http://civilwartalk.com/threads/san...infantry-16th-ga-vol-inf.106971/#post-1000813
Swanson H Sanders 16GA wounded x5.jpg

12. William Watson Beard - Co D "Danielsville Guard"
This is one of my favorites because Beard served in the same Company D as my husband's gg grandfather. Enlisted as PVT June 17 1862. Roll dated Feb. 1, 1865, last on file, shows him absent without leave Sept. 1, 1864. He had nine children, one of which was born in 1864......so you do the math. He died Dec 11 1882 and was buried in the same cemetery as most of my husband's people.
Wm Watson Beard Co D.jpg

13. Horatio G McMullan - Capt Co C "Hartwell Infantry"

Born in 1837 Hart County, GA. He enlisted July 13, 1861 into Company C as a 1st Lieutenant. He was promoted to Captain and Asst. Quarter Master September 14, 1863. Killed at the Battle of The Wilderness, Spotsylvania County, VA on May 6,1864. Check out the flag in his breast pocket?
16gaCoC Capt Horatio G McMullan.jpg

14. Corp Ezekial Bray - Co A "Madison Greys"

Born in Georgia in 1816 or 1828. Enlisted as 4th Corporal July 11, 1861. Wounded in the leg and disabled at Seven Pines June 1 1862. Discharged near Petersburg Va Aug 1, 1864. Bray returned to Georgia and died July 10 1892. He is buried in the Old Danielsville Presbyterian church cemetery in Madison County GA.
Corp Ezekial Bray.jpg

15. John Absalom Hataway - Co H "Flint Hill Greys"
Enlisted in Co H 16th GA as a Private in Feb 1862. On Feb 13, 1863 he enlisted in 32nd GA at Savannah, GA and was serving in a Confederate Hospital at the time of his capture by Union forces and subsequently paroled. Returned to Georgia and died July 24, 1904. Buried in Gordon Cemetery, Jones County, GA.
John Absolom Hataway.gif

Last edited:
My 3rd Great Grandfather Capt. Abner Monroe Reynolds Company B, 16th Ga. Reg. "Center Hill Guard"
Joined July 1861. Born Winder Ga. Was a founding master mason at the still current lodge 191. Also local sheriff there in Jackson Co. Killed at Crampton's Gap/South Mountain Maryland. His uniform looks very similar to Capt. Thompson of Company G. (I love his photo) I also like the posting of Jr 2nd LT Horatio J David Apparently he served under my Grandfather. This is the first picture I have seen of anyone in company B. Very Nice! Thanks lelliott19 Thanks for all your work on the 16th. It means a lot to My family and myself.

Unfortunately I don't have a uniform picture of Capt. Reynolds 15 year old son who joined the 2nd Ga Cav in 1863/4 after his fathers death. He made it through the war and homesteaded in Florida. Died in Pensacola Florida veterans hospital and was brought home by his son (My great grandfather) with a horse and wagon, 125 miles, to Chipley Florida where he is buried now with this same son at his feet.

Still Searching for the possibility Capt. Reynolds was not buried in the mass grave after the battle at Crampton's gap
Abner Monroe Reynolds Cleaned up.JPG

Back