Uniform Thoughts - Unknown Oil Painting

crockhunter

Cadet
I recently bought this oil painting at a thrift store in south Georgia. I was just interested in the frame at first and did not really pay any attention to the painting. Then noticed that the painting appeared to have substantial age on it. Thought it was probably European because i did not recognize the uniform but after trying to research more I really don't know. Any insights? It is 24" x 20"

IMG_2265.JPG

IMG_2276.JPG

IMG_2277.JPG

We could use some one good at British uniforms to give us a date. Without searching I am guessing the cap makes this mid to late 1800s.

Last edited:
I recently bought this oil painting at a thrift store in south Georgia. I was just interested in the frame at first and did not really pay any attention to the painting. Then noticed that the painting appeared to have substantial age on it. Thought it was probably European because i did not recognize the uniform but after trying to research more I really don't know. Any insights? It is 24" x 20"

View attachment 391757

View attachment 391758

View attachment 391759
As promised, I checked with a Sergeant Major from the British Army. Here is his response:
"This appears to be mid 19th century ie 1840's-50's The 'S' buckle was common amongst US and some British officers at that point. If he's British very possibly Royal Artillery or Royal Engineers as they wore Blue coat and not the famed 'Red' coat. He could also be a Lancer or a Blues & Royal from the Household Cavalry Regt whom also wore Blue. Apart from that not a lot I can say unless there's more info available."

View attachment 391757

View attachment 391758

View attachment 391759
Any indication who the artist is? Is it signed anywhere?

Back