1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Uniform of the Georgia State Navy 1861

Discussion in 'Civil War Uniforms & Relics' started by major bill, Jan 11, 2017.

1. major bill

major bill Major Forum Host

While posting books needed in your Confederate uniforms library I saw this uniform that I had not thought about in a while. The Georgia State Navy were to wear these rather odd naval uniforms. The rest of the Confederate naval, the Confederate navy, the Louisiana State Navy and the Virginia State Navy wore uniforms similar to U.S. naval uniforms. I am not sure where the concept of the red jumper came form. Does anyone have information on why a red jumper.

Image 2 is Virginia State Navy and 3 is the rather odd Georgia State Navy. PS the Georgia Navy Man looks like he is hung over. Extra points to whoever knows who made his cutlass.

field 298.jpg

AndyHall likes this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. JPChurch

JPChurch Private

Volstad, the artist might know.

4. Klaudly

Klaudly Corporal

I do not know the origin of the red jumper, but was provided for Georgia Navy Regulation

CSA Today and major bill like this.
  5. major bill

major bill Major Forum Host

World wide, the use of red naval uniforms in the 19th century would have been fairly rare. The U.S. naval uniforms styles usually followed the rest of the world and Confederate naval uniforms be mostly based on U.S. uniforms. I do wonder why Georgia went with red jumpers.

Klaudly likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)