Uniform of the Georgia State Navy 1861

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
While posting books needed in your Confederate uniforms library I saw this uniform that I had not thought about in a while. The Georgia State Navy were to wear these rather odd naval uniforms. The rest of the Confederate naval, the Confederate navy, the Louisiana State Navy and the Virginia State Navy wore uniforms similar to U.S. naval uniforms. I am not sure where the concept of the red jumper came form. Does anyone have information on why a red jumper.

Image 2 is Virginia State Navy and 3 is the rather odd Georgia State Navy. PS the Georgia Navy Man looks like he is hung over. Extra points to whoever knows who made his cutlass.

field 298.jpg

I do not know the origin of the red jumper, but was provided for Georgia Navy Regulation

World wide, the use of red naval uniforms in the 19th century would have been fairly rare. The U.S. naval uniforms styles usually followed the rest of the world and Confederate naval uniforms be mostly based on U.S. uniforms. I do wonder why Georgia went with red jumpers.

Googling the terms georgia state navy civil war brings up this thread and a lot of links to sites about Georgia in the war and naval actions in the war.

Can anyone direct me to any information about this Georgia State Navy? Was it a temporary thing folded into the CS Navy? Did it maintain home defense capabilities throughout the war?

The Georgia State Navy was a short live organization. It formed in January 1861 and was absorbed by the Confederate Navy in March or 1861 so only existed for three months. Officers wore uniforms similar to U.S. Navy uniforms while the men were to wore the uniform illustrated. It is unknown if all the sailors in the Georgia State Navy even relieved these uniforms. Virginia and Louisiana also had their own navies for a while. The Georgia State Navy did acquire a receiving ship, but I assume they also performed guard duty. The real interest many of us have in the Georgia State Navy is the unique uniforms the sailors wore. Some Northern states had naval units as well.

In my humble opinion, I do not think it was provide Georgia seamen with the new uniforms. GSN was formed in January 1861, I think the regulation was drafted shortly after, not even a month, and the Confederate Navy was formed that absorbed all the naval forces of the secessionist States, so unless a small quantity of jumpers had been prepared and delivered to confederate sailors waiting for uniforms, I think that red jumper was left on paper.

While posting books needed in your Confederate uniforms library I saw this uniform that I had not thought about in a while. The Georgia State Navy were to wear these rather odd naval uniforms. The rest of the Confederate naval, the Confederate navy, the Louisiana State Navy and the Virginia State Navy wore uniforms similar to U.S. naval uniforms. I am not sure where the concept of the red jumper came form. Does anyone have information on why a red jumper.

Image 2 is Virginia State Navy and 3 is the rather odd Georgia State Navy. PS the Georgia Navy Man looks like he is hung over. Extra points to whoever knows who made his cutlass.

View attachment 119878
I am shocked that a swabbie looks hungover.

Thanks for the info. If the sailors might never have received the uniforms, is it possible that the uniforms were never actually made?

I thought he looked drunk too, but I found a fuller (though smaller) version of the picture. It seems he is being taken to task for some offense.
362ba9c3158067c15813a996bc83c714--civil-war-art-uniform-design.jpg

Well it is a made up image. The Virginia State Navy officer nor the Louisiana State Navy officer would probably be in trouble for the conduct of a member of the Georgia State Navy.

I was giving some thoughts about state naval uniforms amd wodered if anyone had new information.

Back