1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Uniform of the Georgia State Navy 1861

Discussion in 'Civil War Uniforms & Relics' started by major bill, Jan 11, 2017.

1. major bill

major bill Major Forum Host

While posting books needed in your Confederate uniforms library I saw this uniform that I had not thought about in a while. The Georgia State Navy were to wear these rather odd naval uniforms. The rest of the Confederate naval, the Confederate navy, the Louisiana State Navy and the Virginia State Navy wore uniforms similar to U.S. naval uniforms. I am not sure where the concept of the red jumper came form. Does anyone have information on why a red jumper.

Image 2 is Virginia State Navy and 3 is the rather odd Georgia State Navy. PS the Georgia Navy Man looks like he is hung over. Extra points to whoever knows who made his cutlass.

field 298.jpg

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. JPChurch

JPChurch Private

Volstad, the artist might know.

4. Klaudly

Klaudly Corporal

I do not know the origin of the red jumper, but was provided for Georgia Navy Regulation

CSA Today and major bill like this.
  5. major bill

World wide, the use of red naval uniforms in the 19th century would have been fairly rare. The U.S. naval uniforms styles usually followed the rest of the world and Confederate naval uniforms be mostly based on U.S. uniforms. I do wonder why Georgia went with red jumpers.

Klaudly likes this.
  6. major bill

Would have the Georgia State Navy sailors mostly manned costal forts?

7. Mark Roth

Mark Roth Private

Googling the terms georgia state navy civil war brings up this thread and a lot of links to sites about Georgia in the war and naval actions in the war.

Can anyone direct me to any information about this Georgia State Navy? Was it a temporary thing folded into the CS Navy? Did it maintain home defense capabilities throughout the war?

8. major bill

The Georgia State Navy was a short live organization. It formed in January 1861 and was absorbed by the Confederate Navy in March or 1861 so only existed for three months. Officers wore uniforms similar to U.S. Navy uniforms while the men were to wore the uniform illustrated. It is unknown if all the sailors in the Georgia State Navy even relieved these uniforms. Virginia and Louisiana also had their own navies for a while. The Georgia State Navy did acquire a receiving ship, but I assume they also performed guard duty. The real interest many of us have in the Georgia State Navy is the unique uniforms the sailors wore. Some Northern states had naval units as well.

Mark Roth and Klaudly like this.
  9. Klaudly

Klaudly Corporal

In my humble opinion, I do not think it was provide Georgia seamen with the new uniforms. GSN was formed in January 1861, I think the regulation was drafted shortly after, not even a month, and the Confederate Navy was formed that absorbed all the naval forces of the secessionist States, so unless a small quantity of jumpers had been prepared and delivered to confederate sailors waiting for uniforms, I think that red jumper was left on paper.

CSA Today likes this.
  10. Jimklag

Jimklag Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

I am shocked that a swabbie looks hungover.

LtRusell, TinCan and rebelatsea like this.
  11. Mark Roth

Mark Roth Private

Thanks for the info. If the sailors might never have received the uniforms, is it possible that the uniforms were never actually made?

12. Klaudly

Klaudly Corporal

They may also have never been realized

CSA Today likes this.
  13. Mark Roth

Mark Roth Private

I thought he looked drunk too, but I found a fuller (though smaller) version of the picture. It seems he is being taken to task for some offense.
    362ba9c3158067c15813a996bc83c714--civil-war-art-uniform-design.jpg

14. Jimklag

Jimklag Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

Being drunk on duty.

15. Mark Roth

Mark Roth Private

Would that merit being brought to the captain? I feel that he is guilty a much graver crime; being a ginger perhaps?

Jimklag likes this.
  16. major bill

Well it is a made up image. The Virginia State Navy officer nor the Louisiana State Navy officer would probably be in trouble for the conduct of a member of the Georgia State Navy.

17. Mark Roth

Mark Roth Private

Of course...

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)