Uniform of the 54th Massachusetts Infantry (Colored)

I found the original photograph from my previous post (#8). It's in the Library of Congress Civil War photo collection.

Not much point in paying for a backdrop when you've got a bare studio wall right next to you.

26456v.jpg

The Staunton, Virginia Library will be displaying local letters and artifacts tomorrow
Friday 21st of March if anyone is close by. I am hoping the 52nd Va. Inf. flag will show up.

Good post, nice to read about the colored, Black, or Negro Civil war Army units.It would be nice to see more photos of these units which fought for the Union & the Confederacy, I Salute them all.

Good post, nice to read about the colored, Black, or Negro Civil war Army units.It would be nice to see more photos of these units which fought for the Union & the Confederacy, I Salute them all.

Thanks for the response. If you'd like to see more photos of Black Union soldiers, here is the link to the Liljenquist Collection at the Library of Congress. Search "African American" in the collection and several portrait photos will come up.

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/lilj/

Please remember this thread is about the uniform of the 54th Massachusetts and other USCT units. With respect, I don't want to see it taken over by another discussion on Black Confederates. There are many other discussions on this board to accommodate that.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. If you'd like to see more photos of Black Union soldiers, here is the link to the Liljenquist Collection at the Library of Congress. Search "African American" in the collection and several portrait photos will come up.

Please remember this thread is about the uniform of the 54th Massachusetts and other USCT units. With respect, I don't want to see it taken over by another discussion on Black Confederates. There are many other discussions on this board to accommodate that.
Amen!

All interesting points here, Johan. But I think there is truth to the points the author of the Osprey book made. Coming to the war later, USCT regiments (or any late-war regiments, for that matter) had the benefit of better supplies from the QM; as opposed to earlier in the war when QM stores were overrun with shoddy merchandise. I also read on a message board a while back that because existing units preferred the sack coat by the time USCTs were organized, there were greater supplies of frocks to sacks in 1864-65. But I don't know if that is true.

My belief as well. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hollywood's version of the 1st S.C., courtesy of Glory; at least a couple of these extras wore original Civil War-surplus artillery shell jackets!

Somebody always has to be the bad guy in the movies. I always feel like the 1st South Carolina Colored/33rd USCT got a bad reputation from Glory. I've thought before about buying a pair of red pants for my uniform and doing a living history impression and education for the public on the real history of this unit.

1st Regiment Infantry (African Descent)
Organized at Beaufort, S.C., January 31, 1863. Attached to District of Beaufort, S.C., 10th Army Corps, Dept. of the South, to January, 1864. Barton's Brigade, District of Hilton Head, S.C., 10th Corps, to February, 1864.

SERVICE.--Before muster, 3 Companies on Expedition along coasts of Georgia and Florida November 3-10, 1862 Spalding's, on Sapello River, Ga., November 7 (Co. "A"). Doboy River November 8. Duty at Beaufort, S.C., and Port Royal Island until March, 1863. Expedition from Beaufort up St. Mary's River in Georgia and Florida January 23-February 1. Skirmish at Township January 26. Expedition from Beaufort to Jacksonville, Fla.. March 6-10. Occupation of Jacksonville March 10-31. Camp Jackson March 10. Operations near Jacksonville March 22-31. Skirmish near Jacksonville March 29. At Beaufort, S.C., until January, 1864. Expedition up South Edisto River July 9-11, 1863. Action, Williston Bluff, Pon Pon River, July 10. Expedition to Pocotaligo, S.C., November 23-25 (Cos. "E" and "K"). Skirmish near Cunningham's Bluff November 24. (Cos. "C" and "K" at Hilton Head, S.C., until September, 1863, then moved to Beaufort, S.C.; Cos. "A" and "F" moved to Hilton Head September, 1863, returning to Beaufort, S.C., October 2.) Regiment moved to Hilton Head, S.C., January, 1864. Expedition to Jacksonville, Fla., February 6-8. Designation of Regiment changed to 33rd U.S. Colored Troops February 8, 1864.

33rd Regiment Infantry
Organized February 8, 1864, from 1st South Carolina Colored Infantry. Attached to U.S. Forces, Port Royal Island, S.C., 10th Corps, Dept. of the South, to April, 1864. District of Beaufort, S.C., Dept. of the South, to July, 1864. Folly Island, S.C., Northern District, Dept. of the South, to October, 1864. 1st Separate Brigade, Dept. of the South, to March, 1865. District of Savannah, Ga., and Dept. of the South, to January, 1866.

SERVICE.--Duty at Port Royal Island, S.C., District of Beaufort, S.C.. until July, 1864. Expedition to James Island, S.C., June 30-July 10. James Island near Secessionville July 2. Duty on Folly and Morris Islands operating against Charleston, S.C., to November. Demonstration on Charleston & Savannah Railroad December 6-9. Devaux's Neck December 6. Tillifinny Station December 9. Ordered to Folly Island December 9. Near Pocotaligo Road December 20. At Pocotaligo, S. C., until February, 1865. Occupation of Charleston until March 8. Moved to Savannah, Ga., March 8, and duty there until June 6. Moved to Augusta, Ga. Duty there and at various points in the Dept. of the South until January, 1866. Mustered out January 31, 1866.

Union Soldier in New York Jacket.jpg

I found the original photograph from my previous post (#8). It's in the Library of Congress Civil War photo collection. Not much point in paying for a backdrop when you've got a bare studio wall right next to you.

Look again - this IS a backdrop, though it's very possible it's not in a studio! I think the painting may be on something other than a canvas, but it's not directly ON a wall because you can see one of the "feet" standing it upright in the lower right corner. There's another blank one serving as a light reflector set at right angles to the first that is plainly visible at the left; this SHOULD'VE been either cropped or matted out of the finished photo like this one in my collection showing a probably early-war soldier in the popular "New York-style" jacket with another "prop" pistol. I think it's very likely that both of these were taken in either outdoor or tempory tent studios with simple plank flooring which in a studio would likely be carpeted.

Also,this looks like a HUGE photograph in an ornately carved frame, but that's likely decieving: this is actually just a varient thermoplastic case in the form of a small "framed" photo. In the picture showing part of my collection below can be seen one like it with the photo of a young girl wearing a hat; I've outlined it in red. At bottom is the "New York" soldier also outlined showing how the mat and frame largely conceal the reflector.

IM000615aA.JPG

Bryan C , thank u for the web address on colored American Civil war veterans in uniform.
Cap & ball shooter civil war replicas. (thanks to Cabelas store for good prices)

When you got a CDV taken you wore your best. The 54th & 57th both received full issue which means a Sack Coat AND a Frock. The frock was worn for special occasions, the Sack Coat for fatigue duties such as active campaign.
Hello sir,
Does that also mean they also had dress hats?

Hello sir,
Does that also mean they also had dress hats?
That is a good question. I've read of the 54th receiving a full issue of regulation uniforms but have never read a reference or seen a CDV of one of those men wearing a Dress Hat. The Regulation issue would have been both a Sack Coat & Frock, forage cap and Dress Hat along w/ trousers, great coat etc. I have to say I don't know but if I were to make a WAG I would say yes.

Back