---Uniform of the 1st South Carolina Infantry Battalion Sharpshooters in 1862?---

Hello All, First post but a long time lurker... Just trying to focus my knowledge about this prestigious battalion. At present the only info I have suggests the unit wore gray frock coats, navy blue forage caps and french blue trousers. Caps probably had a brass SC palmetto badge and buttons were similar. But, I can find NO real documentation. (I do know the uniform changed to cadet grey RD II shell and butternut trousers after it was folded into the 27th SC Infantry in Sept 1863.) Any advice would be much appreciated.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

captaindrew

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Welcome from South Florida and the Reenactors forum. I believe the 27th didn't reach Virginia till the spring of 64 so they probably didn't have Richmond Depot issues till then. Then the jackets would have been RDII shells most likely made with blue/gray imported British clothe. Trousers would have been all over the place from domestic jean of varying colors to imported light blue kersey. Before then I believe they were in Charleston which had their own clothing depot, they made shell jackets similar to Richmonds with a few differences. The frocks wouldn't have lasted long for enlisted men. The depots did away with them pretty quickly, they used too much fabric. Officers who had to have their own uniforms made usually preferred frocks. As far as headgear most of the guys preferred a slouch over a cap although the depots kept producing good numbers of caps till the end. Now I'm just taking a stab at it without doing any specific research on the Sharpshooters or 27th, just going by basic uniform knowledge. If someone could find some info on issues to them specifically and from which depot would sure narrow it down.

Jimklag

Lt. Colonel
Silver Patron
Hello All, First post but a long time lurker... Just trying to focus my knowledge about this prestigious battalion. At present the only info I have suggests the unit wore gray frock coats, navy blue forage caps and french blue trousers. Caps probably had a brass SC palmetto badge and buttons were similar. But, I can find NO real documentation. (I do know the uniform changed to cadet grey RD II shell and butternut trousers after it was folded into the 27th SC Infantry in Sept 1863.) Any advice would be much appreciated.
Welcome aboard, Chas, from the Railroads and Steam Locomotives forum.

Hello and welcome from 35 miles north of Gettysburg! Please visit the Gettysburg forum.
Thanks for the welcome. Just to note- I toured Gettysburg for the first time last September. Wow. Books and maps don't do it justice- so vast. Beginning to understand the difficulties in logistics and communications. Looking forward to the next time.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)