Uniform of the 1st Missouri at Pea Ridge.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Today I visited The Michigan Military History Heritage Museum. Because I am a veteran they let me in for free, but I wanted to contribute something. So I purchased this copy of a painting by Tim Kurtz, who hand signs copies and donates them to the museum to raise money to support the museum. This one was only $15 which is fair for a signed in ink copy.

I like paintings by Kurtz, but i am less sure about the accuracy of some of the uniforms in the paintings. So any thoughts of this Confederate from the 1st Missouri at Pea Ridge in 1862.
mmm.jpg

Civilian clothing is a possibility. Bayonet scabbard appear to be worn on the wrong side. Still I kind of line the painting. The money went to a good cause.

Honestly, I don't know the answer, but I like the rendering. I'll be watching to see what some others have to say.

This is probably supposed to represent the 1st Missouri Brigade in Price's Division, as opposed to the 1st Missouri Infantry Regiment which wasn't at Pea Ridge. I don't think it's a very accurate depiction, though.

The brigade notably received an issue of white undyed wool uniforms prior to the battle.

Ephraim Anderson of the 2nd Missouri Infantry mentions them in his memoirs:

"Our regiment was uniformed here; the cloth was of rough coarse texture, and the cutting and style would have produced a sensation in the fashionable circles: the stuff was white, never having been colored, with a goodly supply of grease—the wool had not been purified by any application of water since it had been taken from the back of the sheep. In pulling off and putting on the clothes, the olfactories were constantly exercised with a strong odor of that animal. Our brigade was the only body of troops that had these uniforms issued to them, and were often greeted with a chorus of ba-a-a's, and the salutation, 'I say, mister, do you ones belong to Mr. Price's company?' This last had been picked up in the country by a squad of the boys, who had been asked the question by a venerable Arkansas dame, and it had become a very common saying in camp. Our clothes, however, were strong and serviceable, if we did look and feel sheepish in them. At the same time we drew knapsacks, an essential part of the soldier's equipment, which had not been previously supplied."​

- Memoirs: Historical and Personal; Including the Campaigns of the First Missouri Confederate Brigade by Ephraim M. Anderson (St. Louis: Times Printing Co., 1868), p. 161.

In Fred Adolphus' article on white undyed uniforms he says these were manufactured by Hebrard & Co. in New Orleans.

The illustration looks like civilian clothing, something more like what the Missouri State Guard might've been wearing.

Tim Kurtz is a great artist but Civil War art is not really what he does. Kurtz is a Civil War reenactor and did a few of these Civil War paintings. Mostly he raises money for causes by selling them. I do not believe Kurtz claims to be a uniform expert for every uniform in every painting he does. Still they are enjoyable, if not accurate.

Reactions: AUG
I think Kurtz is showing the soldier with his waist belt slug over his shoulder?

My research shows that the 1st Missouri, like the bulk of Confederate troops at Pea Ridge, were issued with a large amount of clothing shortly before the battle, comprising gray and gray/brown uniform shell jackets and pants.

Back