Uniform Kepi?

hotrodwitch

Cadet
Hello everyone,
I have had this what I believe is a kepi hat in the family for at least 60 yrs. I have tried to get more in formation on it but as of yet have not been able to. There are no markings inside as it is ripped and the gold buttons on the side have the same initials as the front and the date of 1794. I would love to know more about it. thanks in advance Nancy from Connecticut

hat.jpg

Episcopal Academy of Cheshire. School was chartered in 1794 and added military training in 1862. Commodore Andrew Hull Foote, Confederate General Joseph Wheeler, and Secretary of the Navy Gideon Wells all graduated from the Academy. Later became the non-sectarian Cheshire Academy. Oldest boarding school in Connecticut. Not sure what the backmark on your button is but in his button book Tice says this button's first use may date from late Civil War to immediately after the war. That being said, kepi looks like a postwar style to me, but admittedly I am no expert on hats and cloth. Just recognized the emblem.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
I have had this what I believe is a kepi hat in the family for at least 60 yrs. I have tried to get more in formation on it but as of yet have not been able to. There are no markings inside as it is ripped and the gold buttons on the side have the same initials as the front and the date of 1794. I would love to know more about it. thanks in advance Nancy from Connecticut

View attachment 419377
Very nice post war kepi of the M1872 design. Thick brim, woven chip strap and direct embroidered insignia are the clues.

Wonderful outward condition!

Episcopal Academy of Cheshire. School was chartered in 1794 and added military training in 1862. Commodore Andrew Hull Foote, Confederate General Joseph Wheeler, and Secretary of the Navy Gideon Wells all graduated from the Academy. Later became the non-sectarian Cheshire Academy. Oldest boarding school in Connecticut. Not sure what the backmark on your button is but in his button book Tice says this button's first use may date from late Civil War to immediately after the war. That being said, kepi looks like a postwar style to me, but admittedly I am no expert on hats and cloth. Just recognized the emblem.
Thanks so much, makes sense since I live pretty close to Cheshire. Its the initials of the school Episcopal Academy of Cheshire E. A. C and I have found additonal information on line and the buttons info matches what is on mine. Great help in steering me in the right direction, thanks again..

hat button.jpg

Last edited:
Back