Uniform Identification

Kirk Womack

Private
I need some help in identifying this young man's uniform. He's obviously a corporal, but what branch of service is he in, and is it during the war, or after? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
20200210_193627.jpg

Last edited:
Its hard to say being B&W photo but being light color I'm leaning Cav and him having 2, 5 year service stripes I say post war period. Plus the hair cut on this yankee (hope I can say that with getting a mod hand slap) also says post CW.

The leg stripes look to dark to be yellow. I have seen yellow trim come out dark in period photos, but the yellow on the trousers should match the yellow on the jacket. Red artillery stripes on the jacket and trousers would look the same color. So I am going with infantry, light blue stripes on jacket and dark blue stripes on trousers. I am guessing Civil War because these nine button jackets would have been less common after the war. What about the service stripes on the lower sleeves?

Two have chevrons on the lower sleeves would indicate either two enlistments or 10 years of service. I find it hard to believe this soldier had 10 years of service. If he had service during the Civil War the lower half chevron would be edged in a contrasting color. so I am assuming that if this is post Civil War it would be post 1875. This seems unlikely.

Back