Uniform, 6th Texas Infantry.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I purchased this today and was wondering what people thought of it. It is by Tim Kutz. I think it is a fun image, but not all that accurate as far as a print to study the uniforms of the 6th Texas Infantry.

texas 6th.jpg

Last edited:
More of a generic Confederate than reality. In February 1862 each man in the 6th Texas Infantry was issued a shirt, drawers, shoes, knapsack, canteen and other accoutrements. In June of that year each Company received over 200 yds of ‘uniform cloth’ as well as issuing ready made ‘uniform’ frockcoats and ‘uniform’ pants, as well as shoes, shirts and drawers. In October and November 1862 every man in the Regiment received a frockcoat, pants and a hat or cap.

More of a generic Confederate than reality. In February 1862 each man in the 6th Texas Infantry was issued a shirt, drawers, shoes, knapsack, canteen and other accoutrements. In June of that year each Company received over 200 yds of ‘uniform cloth’ as well as issuing ready made ‘uniform’ frockcoats and ‘uniform’ pants, as well as shoes, shirts and drawers. In October and November 1862 every man in the Regiment received a frockcoat, pants and a hat or cap.

When I go to the Michigan Miilitary Heritages Museum they let me in free because I am a Michigan veteran so I feel some what obligated to buy something. The artist lets the musem sell these to raise money. So in the end I get a nice plate while supporting the museum. The accuracy of the uniforms in these plates is questionable to say the least.

It's a nice image although according to tullock they more than likely had frocks at that time. Maybe more accurate for 63, frocks became rare due to the extra material it took to make them for enlisted men.

This is likely taken from a larger painting. The artist is a fine artist, but this is not his normal style. The artist is also a Civil War reenactor and these paintings were done mostly to raise money to support reenactors. So the plates are fun, but probably not intended to be too accurate.

Last edited:

Major Bill, I'm sort of a student of the Sixth Texas, even wrote a novel about them. I'd love to know the source about the issues of uniforms in '62. Not questioning it in the least, just would love to read it. Such info has been hard for me to locate. Thanks.

Whoops, not Major Bill, but to tullock. Sorry.
Hi Phil. All info comes from the Compiled Civil War Service Records which I have been collecting for decades. Within each Regimental Officer’s Service Records there are large numbers of surviving Clothing Requisition Forms. These forms were submitted by Company Officers on a regular basis to the Regt. QM. who collected the requested items and forwarded them to each Officer. Each form would contain details of clothing, shoes ( complete with differing sizes) and accoutrements, complete with the cost of each item. When the clothing/accoutrements were delivered, the Company Officer would sign and date the form to confirm the receipt of the items. The clothing/accoutrements were then distributed to the men under each Officer’s command. There are tens of thousands of these surviving forms in the Compiled Service Records.

Last edited:
The hat is odd. It looks like a derby and not of the period. The traps around the waist and under the jacket are another odd touch. I like the Naval Rifle, but I'm not sure that was intentional.

It's pretty evident he based this off of a reenactor. I think I even know which one...

But if it was for a good cause, why not.

The hat is odd. It looks like a derby and not of the period. The traps around the waist and under the jacket are another odd touch. I like the Naval Rifle, but I'm not sure that was intentional.

It's pretty evident he based this off of a reenactor. I think I even know which one...

But if it was for a good cause, why not.
The hat is called a plug hat and was quite popular during the ACW, I have two identified pieces very similar and many period photographs show this type of headwear particularly in the mounted arms.

1556218813370.png
Echoes of Glory also shows an identified cavalry "plug" hat, that was in the famous Stametelos collection, hat recently sold by the Horse Soldier.

I will be at the Michigan Military Heritage Museum on May 18th. Should I purchase some more of these? The money does support the museum and thus allows me to keep from putting about the same amount of money to to the donation jar.

Back