Unidentified photo - Benjamin Harrison?

Mike Serpa

Major
LOC title is "Unidentified general, bust portrait, facing left" - #35226
35226v.jpg

LOC Notes: Handwritten below image: Harrison?

I don't see any stars for the general and I don't see 'Harrison.' How about you? Could this be Benjamin Harrison?

Here is a crop of Harrison.
General-Benjamin-Harrison-in-uniform,-1865.jpg

3c34885v.jpg

LOC

Last edited:
Gee whiz, Mike, it's so close! I'm the last person ( not an historian ) to be able to say yes, but cannot find a reason they couldn't be the same guy. Pretty cool ( having said that, the next post will be chubacus with Harrison's Civil War photo, we'll both say ' OH, I see! ') .

Gee whiz, Mike, it's so close! I'm the last person ( not an historian ) to be able to say yes, but cannot find a reason they couldn't be the same guy. Pretty cool ( having said that, the next post will be chubacus with Harrison's Civil War photo, we'll both say ' OH, I see! ') .
I'm hoping he and a few more CWTers will add their opinions.

LOC title is "Unidentified general, bust portrait, facing left" - #35226
View attachment 177084
LOC Notes: Handwritten below image: Harrison?

I don't see any starts for the general and I don't see 'Harrison.' How about you? Could this be Benjamin Harrison?

Here is a crop of Harrison.
View attachment 177085

View attachment 177086
LOC
If I were you, Mike, I would consider sending an email copy of your photo to the research staff at the Benjamin Harrison Presidential Site. I would think they would be able to immediately determine if it is indeed Mr. Harrison.
http://www.presidentbenjaminharrison.org/learn/collections/research-library

If I were you, Mike, I would consider sending an email copy of your photo to the research staff at the Benjamin Harrison Presidential Site. I would think they would be able to immediately determine if it is indeed Mr. Harrison.
http://www.presidentbenjaminharrison.org/learn/collections/research-library
This is an excellent suggestion. I just sent an email. I will let you know what they say.

I think it is a very close match to Harrison. it sure likes like him, although it could be someone else. I think it is Harrison, no expert, but I like it a lot. Thanks for posting @Mike Serpa .
Thanks.

Here's what I got back from the Benjamin Harrison Presidential Site -

Hello Mike,
I am going to say no it is not Harrison. To compare are attached images of Harrison in the Civil War.

BENCW copy.jpg

The other photo was a complete version of the cropped photo in the OP.

I wonder who it is. They should know if Harrison or not.
The website said, "Harrison was given a commission as Second Lieutenant and two weeks later was promoted to captain." I don't see any insignia on the shoulder straps indicating a second lieutenant. Does it seem unlikely that his photo would be taken during those two weeks? I don't know who it is either, Donna.

I poked around some more on the website from post 34 and found a side profile of Harrison. The nose does not match with photo in the OP.
benjamin-harrison-1888.jpg

Back